HELP - name that allergy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donkeydoodle

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I read a post where a user has an allergy to Chilli, does any one know the correct term for this?

Thanks
Shelle

Well, unless I'm missing something I don't know of a name. Are you speaking of the chili pepper? I don't think allergies have specific names like phobias, for example. One can be allergic to Oak trees and they simply have an allergy to Oak trees...there's not a name for it that I know of.

I thought you all would find this interesting. My sis had a client who was extremely upset that her son was allergic to ... well, everything. He had so many allergies it was ridiculous. Her (his) pediatrician told her that the only place he'd seen a kid that allergic it was because of inter-breeding. She went home in tears. Called her mom. Her mother said, oh, aitch-ee-double hockey sticks. I didn't want you to know this, but your grandparents were first cousins, and that wasn't the first time the family intermarried. Ouch.

how about allergies to housework? A bad back.......a bunion...........curvature of the spine........broken neck..........dandruff.........ignorance of how to do it.... perpetual chicken pox......ooops, I think that it has MANY names............:)

I have respiratory allergies that are especially bad in the spring and fall. The other day, my dog Chloe, who has long hair, came in from her run all dusty from rolling in the dirt and leaves. When I petted her, the dust flew.

When I got up from my nap later, my upper lip on the left side was so swollen I looked like a freak! It would have frightened me, except that my dad went through a period in his life when he had the same problem, and the DR said it was allergies. I used my Albuterol wheezer and Naserol nose spray, and it went away in about an hour.

When I got up from my nap later, my upper lip on the left side was so swollen I looked like a freak!

I know allegies aren't funny. My older brother almost died so many summers when we were kids from poison ivy in his throat and mouth.

But it just made me laugh about your lip when we see so many woman paying BIG $$ for that.

Sorry for your troubles, Constance

how about allergies to housework?
I actually had a friend who was alergic to housework, kind of.

He was a friend from camp and in camp we lived in old wooden cabins. Every morning we had to sweep the cabin and do other "housework" chores like cleaning the bathroom. This kid always got out of sweeping because he was allergic to dust, among many other things :mad:.

My lips swelled up after consuming some seeds from a grilled chili pepper. This has happened twice this year. I've never had this problem before with chili peppers. Then that was followed by weeks of swelling and hives.
I went to the doc and he gave me an allergy shot of some sort and told me to take over the counter Claritin. The symptoms went away the very next day.

I actually had a friend who was alergic to housework, kind of.

He was a friend from camp and in camp we lived in old wooden cabins. Every morning we had to sweep the cabin and do other "housework" chores like cleaning the bathroom. This kid always got out of sweeping because he was allergic to dust, among many other things :mad:.

Funny, funny. My father used to say I had "dishwater diarrhea". Doing the dirty dinner dishes were my job, and I HATED it!. I would get the bathroom urge, grab a comic book and go to the netherworld. When I came out, mom had started cleaning up, I apologized and finished with her. It made it alot more fun with her.
I think I was alergic to doing a nasty job alone. - - and I still hate cleaning up the kitchen. Any Helpers?

Is this http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/i-won-again-51419.html the thread you are referring to? The problem mentioned in the thread is Celiac Disease. I don't know much about it myself, but you can read about it here: Celiac Disease.

Also, don't forget everyone that this is a new member. She may not be familiar with our friendly, joking banter yet and may not think we are taking her question seriously. :cool: (Not trying to be a party-pooper though--you guys are funny!).

:)Barbara

Last edited:
For what it may (or may not) be worth in this discussion, I am highly allergic to anything made with or from chili. Actually, the ana-allergy is to capsaicin* (see below) which is what gives chilis their heat. It has made cooking and eating out very difficult since it seems everyone wants "heat" and lots of it in their dishes these days. Try to find a tasty recipe without one of the ingredients being red pepper flakes or hot sauce or, or, or! It is growing very frustrating and I am searching for alternatives that won't send me to the hospital!

*Capsaicin (from Wikipedia):
Capsaicin (pron.: /kæpˈs.ɨsɪn/; 8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide, ( (CH3)2CHCH=CH(CH2)4CONHCH2C6H3-4-(OH)-3-(OCH3) ) is the active component of chili peppers, which are plants belonging to the genus Capsicum. It is an irritant for mammals, including humans, and produces a sensation of burning in any tissue with which it comes into contact. Capsaicin and several related compounds are called capsaicinoids and are produced as a secondary metabolite by chili peppers, probably as deterrents against certain herbivores and fungi.[1] Pure capsaicin is a hydrophobic, colorless, odorless, crystalline to waxy compound.

I thought you all would find this interesting. My sis had a client who was extremely upset that her son was allergic to ... well, everything. He had so many allergies it was ridiculous. Her (his) pediatrician told her that the only place he'd seen a kid that allergic it was because of inter-breeding. She went home in tears. Called her mom. Her mother said, oh, aitch-ee-double hockey sticks. I didn't want you to know this, but your grandparents were first cousins, and that wasn't the first time the family intermarried. Ouch.

That pediatrician is a moron. The latest and the newest studies show that there is no problem with cousins marrying. I have friends they all have married people almost from a different planet. Mix bloods, race, ethnicities, what have you. And one of the kids is in fact allergic to everything.

Gee, oh my. I did not look at the thread and responded to a hread that is more than 4 years old.

I think an allergy to Chillie is just called an allergy not aware of a specific name for it . As the mother of a child with a peanut allergy I would suggest you do make sure you have anti histamine medicine for in or in extreme cases, like my son , an epi pen. Some allergies can be life threatening and cause anaphylactic shock so best to see a doctor and get the medication you need . Any allergy that causes swelling particularly to the airways should be taken very seriously .

Coeliac disease, which I have, is not an allergy . It's an auto immune disease which can cause serious damage to the stomach lining , happily though its controlled by diet .

Back
Top Bottom