"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Thanks everyone (so far) this is exactly what I was hoping for!!

Mrs is much more computer savvy than I am (as is Coco the monkey!) so while I may have trouble operating it, I'm sure she will not.

The pictures you all posted are beautiful-That is the quality I am hoping for. I think I'll hop on over to ebay and check some of your suggestions out. I'll be back in a while. Thanks!!

Old 10-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2"Q" View Post
i love my nikkon d40 .. seems like a good camera for me ..
what i like the most .. besdes the best pics i have
ever taken .. is the speed .. if i do not have to wait
for the flash .. it takes at about 2.3 per second i believe ..
the D40 is a great camera (I am a Nikon fan and have a D70S). the one issue I have with it though is it does not take standard sized Nikon lenses so if you already have a Nikon SLR or DSLR you can not use the lenses from that camera with this one. Also, if you ever plan to upgrade to another Nikon DSLR then the D40 lenses will be useless. It is a very good camera though and perfect for someone who is looking to get into DSLR photography and not spend a ton.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #13
Sous Chef

DSLR?? I'd google it, but this will likely be quicker.

What is it? Do I need/want it?

If it makes a difference, I'd rather spend more now than wished I had down the road.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
the D40 is a great camera (I am a Nikon fan and have a D70S). the one issue I have with it though is it does not take standard sized Nikon lenses so if you already have a Nikon SLR or DSLR you can not use the lenses from that camera with this one. Also, if you ever plan to upgrade to another Nikon DSLR then the D40 lenses will be useless. It is a very good camera though and perfect for someone who is looking to get into DSLR photography and not spend a ton.
I found out about the lenses before i bought the camera ..
thankfully .. but at this point i do not plan on buying many lenses
except for a 55 - 200 mm ......
but the camera is great .. had it for about 8 months now
and having fun playing around with the different settings ..
and at 500 bucks .. it was within my price range ..
Old 10-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #15
Master Chef

I have the same a Jkath, hehe, her pics are the reason I bought mine.
Kodak Easyshare Z740.
The best 2 pics I can think of to give you an example of regular and zoom on this camera, was our trip to Texas Motor Speedway. This is at our seat, Tony Stewarts pit is just above and to the left of the O in O'Reilley's and then, zoomed to Tony Stewart, through the fencing btw and up close from the same seat.
The rose was from appox, 15 feet with zoom.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2340.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	5809  
Old 10-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke king View Post
DSLR?? I'd google it, but this will likely be quicker.

What is it? Do I need/want it?

If it makes a difference, I'd rather spend more now than wished I had down the road.
DSLR stands for Digital Single Lens Reflex camera. An SLR camera is basically the cameras you see where you can change lenses and manually control things like apreature, focus, flash, shutter speed, and most other functions of the camera. the professional cameras you see are always DSLR or SLR cameras.

the other style of cameras are P&S or point and shoot. That means you can just push a button and take a picture and that is what they are primarily designed to do. that is not saying that you can not do the same with a DSLR or that you can not control shutter speed and other things with a P&S.

For the average person who does not know or care a ton about photgraphy and just wants to be able to take snapshots of vacations and family members and birthday partys and things like that, a P&S is exactly what they will want. they are also known as PHD (push here dummy) cameras because you do not have to know anything about photography. You just push the button and you can take a very good photo. The P&H are less expensive and much smaller than SLR's so they can usually fit in a purse or pocket.

If your wife is into photography as a hobby more than just taking quick snapshots then she may want a DSLR, but if she is just looking to capture those quick moments then P&S is probably what she will want.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #17
Master Chef

We have a Kodak and a Canon. They are both point and shoot and take very good pics. We spent less than $100 on either because we waited for them to go on sale etc. The Kodak was around $80 at Woot.com. They are both easy to use and we like the video feature as well as taking stills. I agree that it is a good idea to get a bigger memory card than what comes with the camera. Good luck and hope Mrs. SK likes it!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
having Macro capability on your lens(es) is also a good idea, although you can use macro rings between the lens and camera body, you`ll lose certain functions like AF and auto-aperture control, so you`ll have to switch the lens to manual, but with a TTL view it`s not a problem ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
having Macro capability on your lens(es) is also a good idea, although you can use macro rings between the lens and camera body, you`ll lose certain functions like AF and auto-aperture control, so you`ll have to switch the lens to manual, but with a TTL view it`s not a problem ;)

uuuuuuuh......?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

What YT is talking about has to do with SLR's. Most, if not all P&S cameras have a macro mode that lets you take close up shots. It is great for taking pictures of things like insects or flowers very close or things like that.