"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I agree, some very good shots can be taken by even the simplest of cameras, I have a few here that are older than Gods dog and take great shots, granted they are film cameras, but when you consider that the cam body is made of pressed cardboard and there`s a single meniscus lens with no way to focus, I`v taken some very good pictures with them.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
While I am sure the Nikon D40 is a very good camera, I disagree that photos taken with a point and shoot camera are only good for snapshots. My PS produces very crisp, sharp prints up to 8x10. I have several mounted and framed in my home.
I agree, Andy. I have pics of my boys that turned out a lot better than the professional pics that cost me an arm and a leg

Old 10-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #33
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
I would stay away from the point and shoot cameras. They my work well for snap shots posted to the web but if you ever want to do more your basically out of luck. More pretty much includes printing.
I disagree with this as well. I have sold photos that have been printed and framed that I have taken with point and shoot cameras at very low resolution (below a megapixel even).

I have seen photos taken with cell phone cameras (notoriously poor quality) that could be part of a photo exhibit in any art gallery. As a matter of fact, I have seen art shows where all the photos were taken with cell phone cameras.

It is not so much the camera, it is the photographer. It is kind of like saying you need All Clad pans to cook a great meal. A good cook and use the worse pans around and still turn out an amazing meal.

There is ZERO point in someone who is only going to be shooting in automatic mode to buy an SLR. It is too much camera for zero additional benefit. it would be like someone buying a high end sports car to only drive 1 mile down the road to the supermarket. Sure it will get the job done, but you can do the exact same thing with a less expensive model and do it just as well.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:11 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Ditto above. I just wasn't going to be the first to disagree ;^)
And you have to remember, a printed photo is only going to be as good as the printer and paper quality. I don't even shoot max file size and have gotten very printable photos.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
There is ZERO point in someone who is only going to be shooting in automatic mode to buy an SLR. It is too much camera for zero additional benefit. it would be like someone buying a high end sports car to only drive 1 mile down the road to the supermarket. Sure it will get the job done, but you can do the exact same thing with a less expensive model and do it just as well.
Well said GB! My dad, a former professional photographer, has a high end digital that he uses. He had a point and shoot to start to get used to the digital format and eventually upgraded to what he has now with multiple lenses etc. He got it because he likes to "control" his shots. Me, I just want to take a nice picture of my kids doing their thing or opening gifts christmas morning etc. I don't want to have to take time to "set the shot". I must say that Dad has like some of the pics I've taken with my little point and shoot which is saying alot coming from a professional (even though he is my dad!)
Old 10-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Let me start off by saying all that I know, to this point, is what I've learned from y'all since yesterday.

That being said, GB's analogy about the high end car makes perfect sense to me. Additionally, Its been my experience that the more complicated a piece of equipment is to use, the less likely I (personally) am to use it.

Like I said at the onset of the thread, Mrs is no Ansell Adams and has no aspirations to be. We will be using it for holidays, vacations, family gatherings and such. I think its safe to say that if the camera requires its own bag, then its likely more camera than she will need/use.

But the response to this has been amazing-all I had hoped for and more!! I've learned a ton so far, and thanks to everyone here my I'm confident that I'll be able to make an informed decision!!!

Well-back to shopping-I'll keep ya' posted! Thanks!
Old 10-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
the new Fujifilm Finepix Z20fd sounds like it would be about right for the wife.
it even has a little belt clip case for it, 10 mega pixels, even available in Pink! and gets a 4 out of 5 star rating in Septembers edition of Practical Photography.

might be worth a look ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

I got my wife the Nikon S550 Coolpix this year. It is an excellent camera. It is the smallest camera Nikon offers. One of the features I really like is it can recognize when someone is smiling and automatically take a picture. You do not even need to hit the button. It is a setting that can be turned on or off so if you don't want to use it then you do not have to. It is very handy with young kids because they may only smile for a quick second. This way the camera recognizes it and captures the picture before you have a chance to think about it.

The quality of the pictures is amazing. The colors are very true and stunning. The LCD display is nice and large. The menus are easy to use. It has a 5x optical zoom as opposed to the usual 3x. It has image stabilization. There is nothing about this camera that I do not like for what it is.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #39
Head Chef

I don't have a lot of advice to offer, other than to stress the "handle before you buy" suggestion.
My camera is a dinosaur, but a good one. Sony Mavica Fd92. I can store images on a memory stick OR a 3.5 inch disk. Anyone remember those? LOL! (But at the time, it was teh most convenient way to get the pics to your computer.)
Old 10-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

I recently bought this camera for my daughter. She loves it. It is now available at $199.