"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #41
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 836
A taste:

Clicking the following pictures will open a larger version in a new window or tab, the new graphic MAY be resized to fit the browser window. AND the following thumbnails have been seriously compressed to keep total file size for all 6 thumbnails under 25k.

A killdeer protecting her eggs:


Part one of a self port project:


Part 2 of a self portrait project:


Kozmo, the Cat: (I can't find the full sized version of this)


Reflections on the Deck:


Hidden Oil:


Nothing earth shaking but not all that bad. And I'm not so sure these could have been taken with a point and shoot. Well, except for the oil tank.
__________________

__________________
Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #42
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
And I'm not so sure these could have been taken with a point and shoot.
These absolutely could have been taken with a P&H. There is no reason they could not have been. A P&H can do everything required to get these shots. Now, if you were taking a shot where you were zooming in or out while pushing the shutter button down or something like that then I would agree with you that you would not be able to get the shot, but for standard shots like this, if you know what you are doing, there is no reason you could not get these, or better shots.
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #43
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
There were all taken with a P&H and sized down to fit this website...










The originals of each of these are much larger and show much more detail. If anyone is interested, just let me know and I can send you a link to the originals. These were taken with a Nikon Coolpix990 quite a few years ago.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #44
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
And I'm not so sure these could have been taken with a point and shoot.
Most definitely can be done with a P & S.
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #45
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 836
Aw, Heck, I may as well come out and say it, I come from the land of Film, took a years worth of Photography classes at a Universities School of Art in the early 80's, had/have a dark room, so I know a little bit about photography. That's one point of view for my opinion.

Another point of view is from the time I spent on Flickrs critique groups. Often enough the only advice able to be given is to get a better camera because they want something their P&S camera just ... cant ... do ... which brings me to:

I agree that the most important part of taking pictures is the person operating the camera, but that assertion falls apart when what is needed done to make a good exposure falls outside the operating parameters of the camera, and point and shoots have a narrow envelope of operation.

(Witness the current trend of people striving for no dept of field. I believe this trend is due to people moving to more capable cameras from cell phone and point and shoots which have ALL depth of field.)

OTOH I have looked through the photographs of people giving advice, and these photographs have been taken with advanced equipment, and all I see are snapshots. I wonder if these people have ever taken their camera out of Auto Mode.


I guess what I'm getting at here is, if someone gets a P&S and likes taking pictures and wants to grow they have already hurt themselves by getting the P&S.
__________________
Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #46
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
These absolutely could have been taken with a P&H. There is no reason they could not have been.

Of course you would have a different opinion if you were privy to the EXIF.

I was there, I know better.
__________________
Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #47
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
I guess what I'm getting at here is, if someone gets a P&S and likes taking pictures and wants to grow they have already hurt themselves by getting the P&S.
I understand what you're saying. But even with a good DSLR, without a basic knowledge in photography, the person operating it won't be able to use it to its fullest potential.

My tiny little P & S camera, like most, has manual over ride and I use the manual mode quite frequently. I'm able to somewhat control depth of field, shutter speed, etc, to a certain extent. Sure, I don't have lens interchangeability, but I sacrifice that for the compactness of my camera.
What most P & S cameras lack is image quality in extreme low level lighting. They produce too much noise with extended exposure times, for instance. That's one area where larger chips in high end cameras do make a big diff.
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #48
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
Aw, Heck, I may as well come out and say it, I come from the land of Film, took a years worth of Photography classes at a Universities School of Art in the early 80's, had/have a dark room, so I know a little bit about photography. That's one point of view for my opinion.

Another point of view is from the time I spent on Flickrs critique groups. Often enough the only advice able to be given is to get a better camera because they want something their P&S camera just ... cant ... do ... which brings me to:

I agree that the most important part of taking pictures is the person operating the camera, but that assertion falls apart when what is needed done to make a good exposure falls outside the operating parameters of the camera, and point and shoots have a narrow envelope of operation.

(Witness the current trend of people striving for no dept of field. I believe this trend is due to people moving to more capable cameras from cell phone and point and shoots which have ALL depth of field.)

OTOH I have looked through the photographs of people giving advice, and these photographs have been taken with advanced equipment, and all I see are snapshots. I wonder if these people have ever taken their camera out of Auto Mode.


I guess what I'm getting at here is, if someone gets a P&S and likes taking pictures and wants to grow they have already hurt themselves by getting the P&S.
I come from a film background as well. My father and two uncles started me in photography when I was old enough to hold a camera. Once of those uncles was a professional photographer for many years. I have taken photography classes and also taught photography classes. I have taught darkroom developing classes as well.

I respectfully disagree with just about everything you said. Any professional photographer will tell you that you can take an amazing photo with a crappy camera if you know what you are doing. A good photo is more a function of the photographer than the equipment. That is not to say that great equipment can not make a difference because it absolutely can, but if you know how to take photos then you can use a lousy camera and get great shots.

In a lot of P&S you CAN adjust the DOF (depth of field). You just need to know which menu to go into. This is not just for SLR's. An SLR will let you change lenses. It will easily let you manually focus, change aperture, and change shutter speed. Aside from changing lenses, most P&S CAN do these other things. An SLR will let you add flash options, which I agree will let you do some great things and be a great benefit. If you have a P&S you just have to learn how to use available light, other light sources, or the on board flash the right way (a hint with that is placing a piece of paper towel over the flash to diffuse it so you do not get that washed out harsh light).

If someone is interested in growing then at some point they probably will want an SLR, but you have to crawl before you walk. SLR's are not the type of camera you tote around to take candids just for the heck of it, well for most people at least. I have a DSLR with one lens (can't afford another just yet) as well as some filters, flash, remote shutter release, tripod, and other accessories. My camera bag is a backpack style bag. It is not the type of setup you can just grab if you are running out of the house to hang out with friends somewhere. If I go on a quick hike and want to take photos then I have either have to take the whole backpack, which is a pain when hiking (but I do it) or I can take a P&S that easily fits in my pocket and does not weigh me down. Someone who is not looking to be Ansel Adams is going to value ease of use over the added control they may get from something bigger. If someone uses a P&S for a while and decides they want more then they can always upgrade to an SLR later on, but if they start out with an SLR which is big and bulky and complicated then they may never use it because it is too big to just grab on the spur of the moment and it is intimidating, even though you can throw it in full auto mode just like a P&S.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #49
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
Of course you would have a different opinion if you were privy to the EXIF.

I was there, I know better.
I could care less about the EXIF. I am going solely on visual appearance. If you can not see the difference then who cares what the specs say? Looking at your photos, I can say that someone with a P&S could take a photo that looks close enough that anyone, but a professional would be able to tell the difference.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #50
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I could care less about the EXIF. I am going solely on visual appearance. If you can not see the difference then who cares what the specs say?
Because the specs would indicate why most of these couldn't be taken with a P&S.

Thats just the way it is.

Like I say, I was there, I know better.
__________________

__________________
Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.