"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #51
Certified Pretend Chef

To sum it all up. More expensive cameras (DSLRs) have more versatility than less expensive cameras (P&S). Not a revealtion.

Got it. No arguement.

Getting back to the OP's requirements. He said, "Shes not Ansell Adams, nor does she aspire to be, but I'm sure she would appreciate nice, usable features.".

Smoke King also said: "We will be using it for holidays, vacations, family gatherings and such. I think its safe to say that if the camera requires its own bag, then its likely more camera than she will need/use."

Responses should address these requirements to keep this thread on track.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #52
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
Because the specs would indicate why most of these couldn't be taken with a P&S.

Thats just the way it is.

Like I say, I was there, I know better.
I do not know too many people (read none) who would look at a picture framed on a wall and then go back to the photographers original file to access the EFIX info to find out exactly what went on so your point really is just silly.

As I said before, visually only a professional might be able to tell. Your average person would have no idea at all which photo came from an SLR and which came from a P&S so again, no matter where you have been or what you think you know, it really does not matter for what the OP is looking for.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I do not know too many people (read none) who would look at a picture framed on a wall and then go back to the photographers original file to access the EFIX info to find out exactly what went on so your point really is just silly.

As I said before, visually only a professional might be able to tell. Your average person would have no idea at all which photo came from an SLR and which came from a P&S so again, no matter where you have been or what you think you know, it really does not matter for what the OP is looking for.
Gawd I hate to say it but...... I kinda see his point now after that comment you quoted, GB
Maybe it's the way I am reading it, but Wart is saying the pics would not even exist if all he had was the point and shoot to take those particular pics..... That he went to needed features, that only a DSLR would have or is capable of, to even attempt to take these pics.

You are right, GB. Looking at them no one could tell what they were taken with, but we would not be looking at them if he did not have a DSLR to take them with. They would not exist.

I think

edited to add: That doesn't mean someone else couldn't have taken them with a hundred dollar camera (lol)
Old 10-24-2008, 08:08 PM   #54
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Wart is saying the pics would not even exist if all he had was the point and shoot to take those particular pics..... That he went to needed features, that only a DSLR would have or is capable of, to even attempt to take these pics.
This is simply not true in most cases though. You can do most things that you need with a P&H. You can not change lenses, but you can compensate for that by other techniques (moving closer or further from the subject, changing the DOF, etc.) You can get the exact same end result by doing different things. Much like you can get the same result in cooking by doing different techniques. You can steam veggies using a bamboo steamer or you can place a dish in a stockpot and steam them that way. The end result is the same. You just took different paths to get to the same end result. Warts pictures could exist by taking them with a P&H. He may not know how to do it, but it can be done.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #55
Master Chef

One feature that I look for in P & S camera is a 28mm equiv wide angle lens. Most cameras don't go wide enough. This may not be important to some but the few extra degrees makes a difference to me, especially with landscapes, building interiors, group of people within close quarters, etc....
Just until a couple of years ago it was almost impossible to find a model with a wide angle lens. Now, they are becoming more popular. I personally would rather have a short optical zoom with wide, short focal length than a longer zoom ratio with no wide angle. Ideally for me, I can live with a fixed wide lens, no zoom.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:37 PM   #56
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
It would be silly if thats what I was saying.

Or implying in any manner.

Its that if you knew or could see the conditions shot under you would know why a P&S couldn't have taken these. Seriously.

I'm going to do as Andy requests and drop this so the thread can get back to the original topic.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:17 AM   #57
Sous Chef

I just wanted to say that I appreciate everybodys input on this, from lo-tech to hi-tech to everything in-between.

Its been tremendously helpful if for no other reason than that I now have a new found appreciation for pro, and semi-pro photographers and what it takes to execute their craft at that level. No wonder good photographers charge so much!!

Besides, Now I can drop some of these terms and acronyms (probably write them in my palm like I did in school) and floor the kid waiting on me at Circuit City!!

My sincerest thanks to all who contributed.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:51 AM   #58
Traveling Welcome Wagon

If we have thoroughly confused you enough, is it safe to assume you will be buying Mrs. SK a sketchpad and pencils for Christmas?

Or you could get her a "Polarock" camera (remember the Flintstones' camera with the bird that chiseled out a picture on a little stone tablet?)!

Barbara
Old 10-25-2008, 01:26 AM   #59
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
If we have thoroughly confused you enough, is it safe to assume you will be buying Mrs. SK a sketchpad and pencils for Christmas?

Or you could get her a "Polarock" camera (remember the Flintstones' camera with the bird that chiseled out a picture on a little stone tablet?)!

Barbara

Not so much confused as "enlightend" , Barb. Its better to be over informed than under informed!!

And the Polarock! Do I remember it? I remember when that episode premiered!!
Old 10-25-2008, 01:54 AM   #60
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke king View Post
...And the Polarock! Do I remember it? I remember when that episode premiered!!
Unfortunately, so do I! I was still young at that point (around 8), but I do remember when the Flintstones started. A lot of people now don't realize that it was the first prime-time cartoon, for adults! Hmmmm, a clean cartoon for adults! What a concept!

Barbara