(Help!) Shopping for digital camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is simply not true in most cases though. You can do most things that you need with a P&H. You can not change lenses, but you can compensate for that by other techniques (moving closer or further from the subject, changing the DOF, etc.) You can get the exact same end result by doing different things. Much like you can get the same result in cooking by doing different techniques. You can steam veggies using a bamboo steamer or you can place a dish in a stockpot and steam them that way. The end result is the same. You just took different paths to get to the same end result. Warts pictures could exist by taking them with a P&H. He may not know how to do it, but it can be done.

And that's why I added that edit :)
It almost looked like that orangish deck pic had been taken with a filter though. I don't know of any P & Ss that accept filters (doesn't mean they don't exist). but I'm sure there are tricks around this.
I stand down. I haven't been "into" cameras since I used to strap 8 lbs of them to a helmet and jump out of airplanes ;), but I kind of understand where Wart was coming from.

Too bad he can't get a pic posted over on the guess that photo game, since he was the last correct answer if I'm not mistaken :rolleyes:

I don't know of any P & Ss that accept filters (doesn't mean they don't exist).
They exist. My old Nikon Coolpix990 took filters.
but I'm sure there are tricks around this.
Actually, most filters can now be added after the photo is taken with Photoshop or some other photo editing software. This makes your camera bag a bit lighter and gives you more room for other toys :)

I just wanted to say that I appreciate everybodys input on this, from lo-tech to hi-tech to everything in-between.

Its been tremendously helpful if for no other reason than that I now have a new found appreciation for pro, and semi-pro photographers and what it takes to execute their craft at that level. No wonder good photographers charge so much!!

Besides, Now I can drop some of these terms and acronyms (probably write them in my palm like I did in school) and floor the kid waiting on me at Circuit City!!:LOL::LOL:

My sincerest thanks to all who contributed.
Here's a link for a Canon Powershot 590IS.
Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot A590IS 8MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom: Camera & Photo
Right now it's $120 at Amazon! I have a friend who has one of these and took fabulous pics on her trips to Greece, Italy, China and an Alaskan cruise. Lots of the pics were taken on a moving bus or boat and the Image Stabilization (IS) did an amazing job of producing crisp, sharp pics. I know because I made photo dvd's for her and her family so I got to see all of them closely. Anyway, it's an entry level digital camera that does amazing things. You can also buy a converter ring so that you can use telephoto and wide angle lenses.

I have a Canon A650IS, one son has an A710IS, another an A720IS and another has an SD1000 so obviously I like Canons. But as others have pointed out - there are lots of really good digital cameras out there. I just wanted to share that you might not have to spend nearly as much as you thought to get the missus a very nice camera.:)

I still have my Coolpix 990. Neat, durable little camera.
I loved that camera. The only thing I did not like about it was the lag time from the time you hit the shutter release to the time it took the picture. That is going to be an issue with any P&S. SLR's do not have that issue. When you hit the button it takes the picture right away which is nice. With a P&H there is going to be a delay from the time you hit the button to the time it snaps the picture. That is just something you have to learn to live with. You need to learn to anticipate so that you can hit the button before you need to. With still shots this is not an issue, but with action shots to can be a little tricky sometimes. It can be done well, but it takes some practice.

Then again, I also still have my Sony Mavica FD91. :mrgreen:

I would probably still be using it if floppies were still cheap and computers still came with floppy drives (without a special order).

I'll admit it, I'm happy for the near death of the floppy.

The 91 was one heck of a camera in its day, I loved the lens (35-500 or there abouts) which would focus from the lens cap to infinity, transfer of files was blistering fast (compared to one hour photo), and at the time 640x480 was all the Web and eBay needed (as monitors grew I could use 1024).

OTOH, manual mode was more trouble than it was worth (except for manual focus which works so much better than the Nikon kit lens), auto focus worked wherever it wanted to, no external flash (I know, I could use the Honeywell of Metz with a trigger ... No), and the blistering fast file transfer became a labor. LOL

Overall I'm really glad I'm using a basic DSLR that accepts my old manual lenses for my Nikon, accepts a basic hot shoe flash, has a remote (cable release), and manual mode isn't more trouble than its worth.

About the only way I've found to get the "shutter" to release immediately is to shoot with the lens set to manual focus/ with a manual lens, or to have the camera 'pre focus' by having pressed the release half way (which presets the camera). Otherwise your looking at a 1/2 to one second delay. And if the camera starts cycling looking for focus the picture may never be taken.

If your looking at converter rings and telephoto converters and specialty filters your no longer in the land of point and shoot, and wife has drug some of these things home from Goodwill .... Aargh!!! ... Honey, unless it has Contax, Cannon, Nikon ... Hasselblad ... PLEASE leave it there. LOL!!

Just short of SLRs I've been thinking about the Canon G series for my next camera purchase for quite some time now.... Who knows, by the time I make up my mind & decide to buy they're be out with a G11 or G12...:-p

As has been said before, and not by me, don't get caught up in the mega pixel thing. The Megapixel Myth from Ken Rockwell. Rockwell needs taken with a grain of salt but I think he's close enough here.

To sum the article, an image with an inferior lens and lots of pixels isn't as good as an image with a better lens and fewer pixels.

So if your buying a point and shoot you want a better lens than more pixels.

I looked at the PowerShot G10. Wow, what they'll do to sell cameras these days. Granted it has a bunch of nifty doo dads but from a pure photographic standpoint it's (way) lacking.

If your spending that kind of money your in the D$LR range.

Does the G10 fit the not needing its own bag requirement? I think its on the verge.

The camera strap thing .. Boy, I understand that. I put this camera on a strap and the strap didn't make it one day before it was gone.

I guess I should say I'm not a Gear Chaser. If I were I wouldn't be this happy with the D40.

Back
Top Bottom