Help to find a chicken salad recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
i have lost a favorite chicken salad recipe, and cannot find one like it online, either. the recipe i'm looking for is a regular mayo based chicken salad. two of the necessary ingredients for this salad are grapes and fennel. i would like to hear from anyone with a chicken salad recipe including these two essential items. thanks for your help....

Last edited:
I used to make chicken salad all the time.
Then I tasted Costco chicken salad.
I don't make chicken salad anymore. Even though mine was better.

Not to worry vitauta. You should be inundated with recipes for chicken salad.

I made some CS last night, with dried cranberries, sliced scallions, and diced celery, along with Hellman's low fat mayo and Greek yogurt. I would have added toasted pecans, but we didn't have them. Pretty darn good stuff.

Just keep adding stuff till it tastes like what you want, Vit!

Last edited:
i have lost a favorite chicken salad recipe, and cannot find one like it online, either. the recipe i'm looking for is a regular mayo based chicken salad. two of the necessary ingredients for this salad are grapes and fennel. i would like to hear from anyone with a chicken salad recipe including these two essential items. thanks for your help....

Since you know the ingredients you want Vit, are you looking for the dressing?

I don't like fennel but I do use grapes, celery and walnuts. My dressing is 1/2 Best foods Mayo(Helmans), 1/2 Greek yogurt and a very generous amount of lemon pepper.
Now I want some. Off to the kitchen.

Last edited:
It sounds like you almost have the recipe from memory. Did it have celery? I would mix up a batch of the ingredients you have and see how close you come. The amount of mayo will depend on how much it takes to stick the other ingredients together. You might even come up with something you like better.

Since you know the ingredients you want Vit, are you looking for the dressing?

I don't like fennel but I do use grapes, celery and walnuts. My dressing is 1/2 Best foods Mayo(Helmans), 1/2 Greek yogurt and a very generous amount of lemon pepper.
Now I want some. Off to the kitchen.
the fennel is the crux of my problem. i don't like fennel either, kayelle, as i don't care for the taste of licorice. it was with great reluctance that i added it to this chicken salad the first time i made it. remarkably, the taste of the salad was wonderfully transformed by the addition of a small amount of the fennel. i'm faced with the question of what kind of fennel to purchase for this recipe. (i am drawing a blank as to what form of it i used before, other than it wasn't fresh.)
i am aware of just how trifling i must be sounding about this seemingly insignificant recipe glitch. i have never been good at working without a set recipe, a problem compounded by an essential ingredient that i fundamentally don't like or trust....
thanks to all of you folks for your help and encouraging words.

Is it possible the recipe used dried tarragon instead of fennel? It has that licorice flavor, too.

entirely possible. in fact, gg, you have just solved the mystery of my missing chicken salad recipe. ty! the licorice-flavored spice in this dish was indeed dried tarragon leaves, not fennel. this further explains why there was no old tin of fennel knocking about in the recesses of my spice cabinet, and why an ancient, barely used jar of tarragon leaves did turn up there. i had totally forgotten about tarragon being an anise flavored spice, too.
oh, and now all the missing pieces are falling into place. whereas there are no fennel-chicken salad recipes listed online, one can find there a large number of tarragon-grape chicken ones. i didn't find the exact recipe i was looking for, but i didn't need to. the essence of this extraordinary dish lies in its magical flecks of green tarragon leaves sprinkled about....

Last edited:
Is it possible the recipe used dried tarragon instead of fennel? It has that licorice flavor, too.

I never notice a licorice flavor with tarragon. I love the way it enhances chicken salad.

My chicken salad is really simple adding grated hard boiled eggs, tarragon and mayo.

Back
Top Bottom