Help with a stray cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are also caravans that drive around and provide low cost bet care, but you have to be enrolled in some sort of low income government aid program to prove you are actually low income

There are also caravans that drive around and provide low cost bet care, but you have to be enrolled in some sort of low income government aid program to prove you are actually low income

I'm not low income so that would never work! I was just thinking more along the lines of not wanting to pay a $2000.00 bill to the vet. :glare: It's been such a long since I have had pets!

I appreciate the suggestions from all of you! :wub:

Yes, in my experience, and I have been working with animal rescue groups for over 10 years, so my experience is pretty extensive compared to the average person.
Thank you for the heads up Sir LOB. Those are important things to consider.

However, your experience is regional. It's not going to be exactly the same everywhere.

I'm new here

I just joined the site today and immediatly wanted to read the stray kitty thread. With all of your caring responses to Merlot's beautiful boy, and with Merlot's taking him in to begin with, I know I'm in the right place.:yum:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to DC, Cheffor2! As you've noticed, not only do we love food, we also love our animals. Both the 4 and the 2 legged.

Last edited:
I just joined the site today and immediatly wanted to read the stray kitty thread. With all of your caring responses to Merlot's beautiful boy, and with Merlot's taking him in to begin with, I know I'm in the right place.:yum:

That beautiful boy just attacked my leg a minute ago, out the door he went. :LOL: He actually loves being outside. ;) welcome!!

Merlot said:
That beautiful boy just attacked my leg a minute ago, out the door he went. :LOL: He actually loves being outside. ;) welcome!!

We had the coolest stray cat years ago, he followed us around better than any dog. His tail was twice his body size. Gave him to a friend whose cat had just died, but he could not adjust to the good indoor life. She ended up having to give him up as he was a wanderer and she kept getting fined for his insistant roaming.

Good thoughts about clinics, shelters and vets. I have always had cats..some shelters in the areas in which I lived were really good at finding homes for the cats..others weren't. Some vets I have been to have offered multiple cat discounts (I have been to known to have 4 or 5 at a time), some didn't. I definitely think it's regional.
I'm sorry that beautiful boy attacked both you and your son. Do you suppose that was his idea of play? Mine will go after anything that moves.

Thank you for the heads up Sir LOB. Those are important things to consider.

However, your experience is regional. It's not going to be exactly the same everywhere.
No-kill shelters became popular in the mid-90s here. This does NOT mean that animals are not euthanized. It means that adoptable animals are not euthanized. Animals that are sick are often sent to rescue organizations. We took many dogs that needed $1000-2000 of vet care (this with a very generous discount--the vet got everything for us at 10% over clinic cost and donated her time) from our shelter. We had to set a limit re: how much we would spend. $2000 could
"save" 4-5 dogs, we had to get realistic. Animals that do not have safe temperaments are also euthanized. The key word is adoptable. People are more generous with their donations if the shelter or rescue group is no-kill. It is impossible to be 100% no-kill. What it has meant in our area is that animals are not euthanized if the shelter is full or have been there more than 7 days. And, our local HS has a resident veterinarian. She does surgeries, etc., on adoptable animals--there is a special fund for this as part of the HS' fundraising strategy.

Back
Top Bottom