Help with a stray cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Merlot

Sous Chef
After the big storms around here we aquired a stray cat. I don't think it is very old but it's very skinny and doesn't seem to do anything but sleep and eat. Today I noticed that it has a little bit of blood around its nose. I really don't have the money for a huge vet bill, I kind of need to have my car and my tooth fixed at the moment. I did google nosebleeds/ cats but I didn't find anything hopeful. Has anyone experienced this with a cat before? Thanks!

The info I found sounds like nosebleeds are a sign of serious diseases. Feline leukemia is fairly common in feral cats but can be treated. There is a vaccine for it as well. If you can't afford a vet, is there an animal shelter near you that can help?

The info I found sounds like nosebleeds are a sign of serious diseases. Feline leukemia is fairly common in feral cats but can be treated. There is a vaccine for it as well. If you can't afford a vet, is there an animal shelter near you that can help?

I was hoping it wasn't anything serious, I know there are a lot of cat owners on here. Money or not, I'll probably end up at the vet, I can't stand to see a animal suffer :( Thanks jabbur :)

Merlot said:
I was hoping it wasn't anything serious, I know there are a lot of cat owners on here. Money or not, I'll probably end up at the vet, I can't stand to see a animal suffer :( Thanks jabbur :)

Could be the beginning of an upper respiratory infection... The kitty probably also should be wormed.

I would take her to the shelter and tell them you found her and are unable to care for her. They will make sure she gets a checkup, etc.

+1 to what pf said.

it could be a range of things, none of them good. when i was a kid my cat developed tumours in her nasal cavities that bled. we had to put her down.

it's tough to realize, but your tooth is more important. ypu could end up with heart problems from infected teeth.

especially if you have other pets, you don't want them to get what the stray kitty has.

I would take him or her to a Vet Clinic at the Animal Rescue and see what they have to say ... She or he is probably mal nourished, was weaned too early, and has a few parasites, ear mites, and needs vitamins ...

The blood: This could be due to the other problems and mal nourishment.

Best of luck. You have a good heart.
Margi. Ciao.

You are wonderful to take in the poor cat and you got some sensible replies. Some vets will give. You a reduced price for their services as they don't want to see an animal suffer either. Perhaps you could take the cat to a shelter and pay them a nominal amount for treatment if you say you will take the animal home again. I worked in a shelter and we all wanted cats to just get good homes. Shelters are all overloaded.

Animal rescue or welfare groups usually have arrangements with local vets for treatment. They might be able to help you. Also, if you do turn the cat over to a group or shelter, please be sure they are a no-kill organization.

Thanks for all the replies! My car didnt cost as much as I expected and the tooth will be extracted as soon as I can get in to the oral surgeon :ermm: I will probably take the cat somewhere on my next day off. My child is so attached already, I want to make sure it gets taken care of. I'm not poor by any means but I have a load of stuff I have to get taken care of. I'll fit the cat in there to and hope for the best. :)

Thanks for all the replies! My car didnt cost as much as I expected and the tooth will be extracted as soon as I can get in to the oral surgeon :ermm: I will probably take the cat somewhere on my next day off. My child is so attached already, I want to make sure it gets taken care of. I'm not poor by any means but I have a load of stuff I have to get taken care of. I'll fit the cat in there to and hope for the best. :)

You know we need kitty pictures!!!:rolleyes:

great news!!!

children and animals bond so quickly, don't they?

good luck and yes, we need pics.

of the cat, not your tooth.

ok, maybe the cat playing with your tooth, but that's it... :wacko:

great news!!!

:wacko: is just about right. What are we going to do with you? :ermm:

great news!!!

What! I have beautiful teeth, hrmm I guess except for that one which I don't want to part with. Good thing it is in the back of my mouth, I am a "teeth' person, I don't want to be toothless.. and from WV.. I hate going barefoot and lord knows I am definitely not pregnant! :LOL:

I took two quick pictures last night. My child thinks the cat has to be covered so he draped a blanket over him :ermm: The cat sleeps on a random pillow too.. he sleeps a lot! I can't get any action pictures unless ya know, you want to see him in the litter box.. that's about all the action he does :LOL:

Attachments

• 2012-07-18 kitty2.jpg
    2012-07-18 kitty2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 2012-07-18kitty1.jpg
    2012-07-18kitty1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 136
and from WV..

My second husband grew up in Spencer, Roane County. He was a definite hillbilly. His mother comes from the McCoys. Her father was a coal miner and had three wives. She was born in Pike County, KY. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom