Help with Skype

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDP

Senior Cook
I have a new computer, previously I have accessed DC through my work laptop. Our main reason for a home PC was so my wife could speak to her family in Panama through VOIP. I would like to speak to someone over the phone. My name is John and I live in Sun Prairie, WI. Just looking for some help. I am computer illiterate. You can leave me a number in private or if you would like my number I will give you it.

Thank you,

JDP

Don't just look give me a hand, just let me know when we can talk. 4 people have looked already but no one has said anything. I also have yahoo messenger if you don't want to give out a phone number.

Thanks,

JDP

I'm forced to be a looker as I dont' have enough information to help you. I do work with VoIP phones and have helped set up the phone network used by my emplyer. But it is a Cisco System and is entirely different than is a home VoIP application. I can tell you that you will need a network address, given to you by an outside party such as Verizon or someone like them who offers VoIP service. You will also need a program that will give your computer the VoIP features. Your computer will requre that program in order to translate the analog voice signal into digital packets and vice-versa. You will need a computer microphone, and camera.

My digital camera has a built in microphone and program that came with it would allow me to do videio conferencing with someone from another site. But I've never used the features as I dont' know anyone else with that capability.

I hope you can find the info you need. I'd bet that there are VoIP tutorials available in cyberspace. Do some Google research.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

JDP, I am tied up at the moment for "talking" as opposed to typing, but if noone is available before I am free this evening I can call you or you me for a test. Does your wife's family in Panama already have Skype? You can test call them! Or skype does have a test call facility too ;)

JDP, sorry, am having to pop out...won't be able to do test call. Have you tried the skype one? Is there anyone else can help?

Good luck! I am a luddite too, and I'm ok with it all now, its not so hard once you get your head round it :)

With skype is it possible to call another PC of someone who also has Skype for free? Does it matter what part of the worl it is?

JDP

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom