"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-18-2005, 09:50 PM   #11
Cook

I have lived in an apartment since leaving home a dozen or so years ago. Everything I grow is grown in containers. This past 4 years I have also grown much hydroponicly. I've grown all kinds of herbs this way. Tomatoes and cucumbers. Since I don't have much space, I only grow things I know I'm going to use. Basil is VERY easy to grow anywhere as well as all the mint as others have said. The best part about growing herbs indoors is the smells it gives off.

Michael Schaap
Michael_Schaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:56 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

i have grown just about every herb known to man, ok, maybe just newjersey man (not far removed from the neanderthal), but currently, i have a 3 foot by 12 foot herb garden of scarborough fair herbs. that is flat leaf parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. also, there's cilantro and mint in another area of my garden.

as far as plants like mint and oregano, that are prolific and send out runners or shoots and invade an otherwise happy garden, all you need is a good small square edged shovel. every few weeks in the peak growing seasons (when temps are between 60 and 80 degrees F, especially during spring rains), just "edge" the prolific growers with the square shovel to cut the runners. if you must, you can then install lanscapers edging, a 5" wide strip of black flexible plastic, which helps contain the runners.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote