"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-31-2007, 04:40 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Basil (sweet & thai), savory, tarragon, chives, rosemary, oregano, sage, italian parsley, thyme, marjarom.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:09 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

we had a strange winter this past year which wiped out about half of my perennial herbs.
the very warm december and january was interrupted by a sudden, deep cold spell. then it was back to unseasonable warmth, then more quick drops in temperature. since the plants didn't harden off properly, many of them were shocked and froze to death.

i lost all of my english and lemon thyme, flat leaf parsley, and half of my silver sage, mint, and rosemary.

fortunately, there are new shoots of sage and mint coming up, and the remaining rosemary plant is doing well, so i'll have a good amount with which to cook.

i replanted the flat leaf parsely and cilantro from seed, and i have to pick up some thyme seeds or plants when i get the chance. also, savory seeds or plants.

other than that, i've planted sweet basil, garlic chives, and chervil.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:18 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
we had a strange winter this past year which wiped out about half of my perennial herbs.
the very warm december and january was interrupted by a sudden, deep cold spell. then it was back to unseasonable warmth, then more quick drops in temperature. since the plants didn't harden off properly, many of them were shocked and froze to death.
The same thing happened here--in fact we lost our large shade tree in our front yard to the same thing!

Like jenny, I got excited with tomatoes this year so I only planted 3 herbs (giving them lots of room to spread): basil, Italian parsley and rosemary. They're the 3 I use the most in cooking anyway.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:41 PM   #14
Senior Cook

basil & flat leaf parsley, sounds like I better get with it!
Old 06-01-2007, 12:05 AM   #15
Cook

We got carried away with tomatoes as usual but did put several sweet basil plants among the tomato plants. As our back up plan we container plant rosemary, oregano, thyme and parsley. Our peppermint has survived for the third season and is looking healthy. We also planted catnip which was available in the herb section at the nursery. We just grow it for our son’s fiancées cat, Levi, but I knew a man who said catnip tea had some medicinal qualities. I’ve never tried it but Levi loves us when we bring a sprig.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:10 AM   #16
Executive Chef

The majority of my limited garden spaces are dedicated to flowers, but I did save some space for basil. No self respecting italian would have a garden without tomatoes or basil.