Herbs What have you planted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Run_Out

Senior Cook
Hey Guys

What herbs are you growing this year. I have

Basil-Cinneman, Sweet, and Thai
Rosemary
Thyme
Tarragon
Sweet Marjoram

I love sweet majoram with scrambled eggs...
I am pretty gabby this morning so I want a lot of replies and I might see something you guys are planting that I need to plant.

later

Basil, chives,thyme,marjoram,parsley,sage,cilantro,rosemary,oregano.

kadesma:)

the only one I did this year is basil, the kind for pesto making. Had a complete crop failure. I blame the rather expensive organic potting soil I bought this year. The facts; the plants I started with the Walmart potting soil all, 100%, did beautifully. All the plants, 100%, started in the organic potting soil, did pitiful.

I just restarted the basil in Walmart potting soil over the weekend.

Oh, I see where kadesama calls parsley an herb, I think of it as a vegetable:LOL:

so add parsely to my short list.;)

bethzaring said:
the only one I did this year is basil, the kind for pesto making. Had a complete crop failure. I blame the rather expensive organic potting soil I bought this year. The facts; the plants I started with the Walmart potting soil all, 100%, did beautifully. All the plants, 100%, started in the organic potting soil, did pitiful.

I just restarted the basil in Walmart potting soil over the weekend.

Oh, I see where kadesama calls parsley an herb, I think of it as a vegetable:LOL:

so add parsely to my short list.;)
Oh poo, I did it again,:LOL:Beth dontcha know blonds have a hard time trying to think and type at the same time:ROFLMAO:

kadesma

A bunch of basil, including some "lime basil" (??)
Thyme
Rosemary
Parsley
Lemongrass

I went overboard on tomatoes again and ran out of space ...:(

edited to add that the lemongrass plants almost doubled in size in only 3 days. sort of scary, actually....

this morning I saw someone use this phrase, "I may not have the mental bandwidth ",

I thought it was a great phrase! But it was regarding DNA so would have taken more than normal mental energy!

Kadesma, I just was picking parsley's cousin, celery, which I guess could also be considered an herb:LOL:

I have, Oregano, rosemary, marjoram, 2 types of sage, 2 types of Thyme, peppermint, spearmint, hysop, curry plant, borage, wild garlic, chives, garlic chives, chamomile, parsley flat And curly leaf, corriander, and salad burnet.

I don`t think I`ve forgotten anything....????

oh yeah, and Dill, fenugreek and Valerian.

I have Italian, Mexican, and purple ruffled basil; flat-leaf parsley; French and lemon thyme; sage; tarragon; lemon verbena; Greek and Mexican oregano; chives; dill; cilantro; and rosemary. We're also growing fennel and garlic in the herb garden, and I have spearmint in a clay strawberry pot.

Here's a photo of my herb garden from last year:

herbgarden3_01.jpg

I bought and built a strawberry clay pot herb garden. I have basil, oregeno, parsley, thyme and rosemary

Basil (sweet & thai), savory, tarragon, chives, rosemary, oregano, sage, italian parsley, thyme, marjarom.

we had a strange winter this past year which wiped out about half of my perennial herbs.
the very warm december and january was interrupted by a sudden, deep cold spell. then it was back to unseasonable warmth, then more quick drops in temperature. since the plants didn't harden off properly, many of them were shocked and froze to death.

i lost all of my english and lemon thyme, flat leaf parsley, and half of my silver sage, mint, and rosemary.

fortunately, there are new shoots of sage and mint coming up, and the remaining rosemary plant is doing well, so i'll have a good amount with which to cook.

i replanted the flat leaf parsely and cilantro from seed, and i have to pick up some thyme seeds or plants when i get the chance. also, savory seeds or plants.

other than that, i've planted sweet basil, garlic chives, and chervil. ;)

buckytom said:
we had a strange winter this past year which wiped out about half of my perennial herbs.
the very warm december and january was interrupted by a sudden, deep cold spell. then it was back to unseasonable warmth, then more quick drops in temperature. since the plants didn't harden off properly, many of them were shocked and froze to death.

The same thing happened here--in fact we lost our large shade tree in our front yard to the same thing!:(

Like jenny, I got excited with tomatoes this year:rolleyes: so I only planted 3 herbs (giving them lots of room to spread): basil, Italian parsley and rosemary. They're the 3 I use the most in cooking anyway.

We got carried away with tomatoes as usual but did put several sweet basil plants among the tomato plants. As our back up plan we container plant rosemary, oregano, thyme and parsley. Our peppermint has survived for the third season and is looking healthy. We also planted catnip which was available in the herb section at the nursery. We just grow it for our son’s fiancées cat, Levi, but I knew a man who said catnip tea had some medicinal qualities. I’ve never tried it but Levi loves us when we bring a sprig.

The majority of my limited garden spaces are dedicated to flowers, but I did save some space for basil. No self respecting italian would have a garden without tomatoes or basil.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom