"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
No, it wasn't. At the time the council was clamping down on defaulters.
I can completely understand where it all started. It is possible that the neighbors were aware of your mother's passing and not aware that her daughter had moved in. They could have jumped to the conclusion of a younger person that may have been or not, a relative moving in. We have a lot of that here with Section 8. That is a housing program for lower income people who can't afford the extremely high rents with the Government paying part of it for them. Folks hide the true amount of their income, or when a member moves out, (husband) or fail to report when they get a raise, etc. Some woman will state more children than they really have, or that their husband has been among the missing since he (so called) walked out on the family. It is not, like the Food Stamp Program, a perfect solution. But without Section 8, there would be a lot more homeless families here in Boston.

But you can bet that there is always a neighbor who loves nothing better than to see what is going on in every home but their own. And just a whiff of wrong doing, will report it to the authorities.

So much to the dismay of one of your neighbors, they are going to be going to bed very disappointed. I can't help but wonder if they gave their name when you were reported and the Council will get back to them with what the truth is.

Now you should buy yourself some men's boxer shorts and use them for dust clothes and other cleaning. Then toss them in the laundry and hang them out. That will really give your neighbor's something to talk about with their afternoon tea.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:58 AM   #12
Head Chef

My point is that there are different methods of surveillance and it would be over a prolonged period and then evidence would be presented . The case would be investigated and either acted upon based in the evidence gathered, or closed and the person being investigated would be notified of the outcome in writing , nobody scuttles off .........

Old 04-23-2015, 08:21 AM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
MC it sounds like an urban myth :-) I worked for a local authority for 30 years and this method of investigation is completely new to me . Plus, you let a strange man claiming to be from the Council, into your home and offered to take off your clothes and show him your underwear ?

Seriously ?

Oh well , whatever floats your boat ...... :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
My point is that there are different methods of surveillance and it would be over a prolonged period and then evidence would be presented . The case would be investigated and either acted upon based in the evidence gathered, or closed and the person being investigated would be notified of the outcome in writing , nobody scuttles off .........
Since we don't know exactly how long ago this was or in what town this happened in...I would say MC has a clue about what she is talking about. Different towns, different councils and things handled differently.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

MC very funny, had a nice laugh for early in the morning.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Good story MC.

I have heard that in parts of New England, they hang underwear inside of pillow cases when drying on the line.
My Grandmother used to hang sheets on the outside lines and her unmentionables were pinned to the inside lines.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Since we don't know exactly how long ago this was or in what town this happened in...I would say MC has a clue about what she is talking about. Different towns, different councils and things handled differently.
Exactly. And she did say one time that she lives on a very small island right off the coast.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
My Grandmother used to hang sheets on the outside lines and her unmentionables were pinned to the inside lines.
LOL!! We used to pin two pair of undies with one pin, didn't look like undies then.

Oh I so want a place with a clothesline!!!
Old 04-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Good story MC.

I have heard that in parts of New England, they hang underwear inside of pillow cases when drying on the line.
My mother never hung underwear outside. Always on a drying rack in the bath tub. To her they were truly unmentionables.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I always had lines on a pulley between buildings. And you always hung the shortest ones out on the very beginning. So they wouldn't flab against the building. There is a science to hanging clothes out on a line. The biggest one were hung in the middle. They weighed the most and would pull the line down so the wind wouldn't wind them around the upper rope.

I remember we had a neighbor who was pregnant. We all found out when she had the baby by the clothes on the line and whether it was a boy or girl. BTW, it was a girl. The next time all of us were quite surprised. She had twins. One of each. So much for reading laundry.

Hey maybe I could get a job as a Neighborhood Medium. Just by reading laundry on the line. Of course I would be not working in the middle of winter. Everyone uses their dryers. Except my dingbat daughter. If the sun is shining she will use her clothesline. Her dryer got a lot of use this winter.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
LOL!! We used to pin two pair of undies with one pin, didn't look like undies then.

Oh I so want a place with a clothesline!!!
I am with you there PF. Big Time!!! Will never happen here. Maybe I should send a load up to my daughter's house. She has a nice long line.