Hints on how to de-stress the holidays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No stress here. My sibs and I decided a long time ago that we didn't need to exchange presents. Only two little ones in the family (both under 3, so they don't really have any concept of Christmas yet), and both get more 'stuff' than they would ever need, so I wait til I see them to give them something.

Having no money helps, too :glare:--I just can't afford to do much.

My kids know that Mama is not Santa--they need to send their lists to their father. (They are 28 and 32, so they know the facts of life!)

Christmas is a potluck, at one house or another, and an extended family get together between Christmas and New Years, also potluck.

Not much decorating, unless dinner is at my house. Might do a little this year, because I am having some company next weekend.

Since Mom died, the sibs have rotated Christmas. I only host every 3rd year and this is my year. Decorating is minimal, tree-nativity-lighted garland around window. Usually no outside lights but this year the yungun living at home after college without a job put some up. Gave up Christmas cards. DH works for the military and they don't do parties (luncheon for the workers but no spouses). DH's family everyone is grown up so we don't exchange gifts there anymore. My side we draw names and buy 1 big gift ($100 limit) for that person except for the kids. If you are still in school (college counts), you get from everyone. Graduated from college your name goes in the hat for the big gift. This year, I need to buy for the girlfriend and her parents but that should be easy. We'll travel after the big day to visit DH's parents and be home before New Year's Eve.

Christmas has never been a huge stress for us (except being late to send packages, which we try not to do). One of the things that has kept our stress down is that we don't go in debt for Christmas. If we can't afford to buy something we don't buy it. No buying on credit and having to pay it off later. Our Christmases have always been family oriented--no big parties for lots of people, so no real stress there. If we begin to stress out about something, we just take a deep breath and remember what Christmas is all about and that brings any stress down right away. :cool:

am i the only one who really loves all of the to do about christmas? the craziness, the shopping, the lighted and decorated houses; all of it!

even though my siblings have decided over the past few years not to exchange gifts, we still buy a little something for them if we happen upon something that sems particularly appropriate.

if we don't happen to see a family member or two, we hold on to that gift until our paths cross or their birthday, whichever comes first.

but getting back, i love everything about christmas. the whole ball of wax!

am i the only one who really loves all of the to do about christmas? the craziness, the shopping, the lighted and decorated houses; all of it!

Nope, I love making it the best Christmas ever for my patients. I wear jingle bells, antlers and a blinking red nose. If I'm not on the schedule, Shrek and I show up for part of the day. Shrek will be playing Christmas carols for the patients for 2 hours a day all next week. We don't do Christmas for ourselves, we do it for them. Two days later we disappear for the night on our Anniversary.

It isn't stressful for me at all now. I throw my big party early in the season, then I'm done. What was stressful was trying to buy crap (pardon me) for people who didn't want or need it, only wanted more expensive stuff, and getting stuff I didn't want or need but had to find a place for in case someone might notice what they bought me wasn't on display. Or people who'd buy clothes for me that were SO the wrong size I was stuck trying to figure out what to do with it. When I ended gift exchange, it all got much easier. the concept was nice, but it was really bad for me. Probably because I may be the only woman on earth who hates to shop. I'll go out with a good attitude and have to dodge cars in parking lots driven by parents who are doing anything but driving, get elbowed by people who are hoping to get to something before I do, and snarled at by everyone. Deleting this from my life has made my holidays quite jolly. When I go to a store, it is with a smile on my face. When I buy things, it's stuff I know someone wants, and I chat with my purveyors. I buy clothes and toys for poor kids who actually need what I'm buying. It's fun, now.

I had to elbow someone today who was "herding" me in the store...Shrek says his arm is going to bruise.:ROFLMAO:

I don't want to give the impression that I am a Grinch or a Scrooge. I enjoy Christmas very much and I have fond memories of the hustle and bustle of shopping in an old fashioned city business district with lights, music and a huge puddle of slush on every street corner. In our city the locally owned department stores used to really try to out do each other with decorations. One of the nicest had an animated toy shop display in each store window. Another had a monorail for the children to ride that went through the toy department. All good stuff.

I still enjoy driving and walking through certain areas of the city to look at the lights and decorations. I always think of a friend, that is gone now. He used to say that the rich sections of the city were no fun because all they had was a wreath on the door and a candle in the window.

I get a kick out of doing little "Secret Santa" donations and shopping for Angel Tree kids. I wish I could peek in the window on Christmas morning to see them open the things but I would probably end up on an episode of Cops.

I enjoy watching the corny old movies like The Bishop's Wife and The Bells of Saint Marys even Burl Ives as Frosty the snowman.

Most of all I enjoy the quiet times. It seems like all of the ghosts do come back for a short visit, just like in a Christmas Carol. The ones I am referring to are all friendly and the memories of the people that stop by are some of my most cherished.

I have myself a merry little Christmas and I hope all of you can do the same.

even though my siblings have decided over the past few years not to exchange gifts, we still buy a little something for them if we happen upon something that sems particularly appropriate.

if we don't happen to see a family member or two, we hold on to that gift until our paths cross or their birthday, whichever comes first.

but getting back, i love everything about christmas. the whole ball of wax!
I LOVE everything about Christmas too! James and I are the biggest kids at Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom