"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
...Don't have a clue where that rhyme came from, I learned it from my middle sister

I remember the rhyme from a kid's TV show. There was an old guy in a wingback chair and he told stories and introduced cartoons. The BB rhyme was part of a shoe ad for the show. I don't remember the name of the show.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I heard all of these growing up. Brings back such good memories!

Old 06-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Never heard of this one Skillet....But I like it! Kinda like Whoa Nelly!!
I would be interested in the origin of the saying...Do you know?
I don't know the origin but it must have been pretty common in the 20's. My folks were teenagers then. Sparrowgrass' link has some references but the earliest one I knew about was Gid Tanners 1929 recording of Soldiers Joy which had these lyrics.
Chicken in a bread tray scratchin’ out dough
Granny will your dog bite, no child no
ladies in the center and catch as catch can
Hold her Newt, don’t let her rare
Those first two lines are traditional. The third is a square dance call, and I'd guess Hold her Newt... was a last minute replacement for a bawdier line disapproved of by censors.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I was told that "Hold her Newt, don't let her rare" referred to the person holding the reins in a buckboard/buggy/wagon. You definitely did not want to have one of the horses rare when they were hooked up!
Old 06-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I guess it's an old saying - have only heard HH say it:

movin' like a worm in hot ashes
Old 06-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #16
Master Chef

As many know, I don't curse. But there are times when something needs to be expelled verbally, like when you grab a hot pan handle, or stick your hand in too hot dishwater.

When I was a child, there was a cartoon called "Tennesee Tuxedo". One of the cartoons that played with it were the characters "Go-Go-Gophers" The character that was the Tribal Chief frequently exclaimed, "Oopey-Doopey!". For some odd reason, that I will never know, this has become my exclamation of choise whenever I touch something hot. Of course, this is just for mild to moderate heat that doesn't actually cause skin damage. Really hot stuff gets shorter, more consice explatives, though again, they are not cuss-words. Interestingly enough, my youngest daughter, now twenty-one, says the same thing under the same circumstances, and it fits her bubbly, slightly whackey personality. And besides, it's just fun to say. It's almost as good as frank Zappa's "Great Googlymoogally" And yes, when she was very small, that same daughter was my "Great-googlymoogaly-girl" , with the explanation given to her that she was so cute that people who saw her for the first time, they would exclaim the phrase. It made her feel special to be my Great-googly-moogly-girl.

I find it enjoyable to play with language silliness. And I love the funny way people look at you when you say, "Oopey-dupey that's hot!" as you quicly let go of something you shouldn't have grabbed. It catches them off gaurd.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
I guess it's an old saying - have only heard HH say it:

movin' like a worm in hot ashes
I like that one mudbug. What does HH mean? I can't read it without filling in Hubert Humphrey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtledove
I was told that "Hold her Newt, don't let her rare" referred to the person holding the reins in a buckboard/buggy/wagon. You definitely did not want to have one of the horses rare when they were hooked up!
That's one picture turtledove. I'd always imagined a farmer hollerin at his son fixin to hitch up the mule to the plow. Specially with the variations like, Hold er Newt, she's a headed fer the buckwheat, pea patch, meadow, etc.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:24 AM   #18
Head Chef

I have heard the phrase "like Fric and Frac"--who were Fric and Frac? (Or Frick and Frack.)
Old 06-19-2007, 09:51 AM   #19
Senior Cook

The way I remember it is: "Hold her head up, Newt, she's heading for the barn!" That's a barn sour horse.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcampcook
The way I remember it is: "Hold her head up, Newt, she's heading for the barn!" That's a barn sour horse.
I also heard it that way too; most times it was just "Hold her, Newt!" My Grandmother was always calling us kids "Frick and Frat" usually when she suspected we were up to mischief.