Hold her Newt, she's a rearin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought I would add this photo of my great-Grandfather (on the left) and a family friend. This was taken in 1909 in an Oklahoma oil field.
img_452028_0_37cea74aca6c972871ba072f0e0e29c8.jpg

skilletlicker said:
I like that one mudbug. What does HH mean? I can't read it without filling in Hubert Humphrey.

HH means Handy Husband (he is). That saying came with him from Memphis. Maybe it's a local expression?

turtledove said:
Thought I would add this photo of my great-Grandfather (on the left) and a family friend. This was taken in 1909 in an Oklahoma oil field.
img_452226_0_37cea74aca6c972871ba072f0e0e29c8.jpg

Nice photo, turtledove, but who are the people in the wagon?:LOL:

Buck and mudbug, both of you have me a-laughing!!! Buck, My great-Grandfather is the human on the left with the reins. the other human is a family friend that may be a distant relative; I got to dig a bit farther in the family archives. Although from the little bit in the photo, I do like the head of the bay better than that of the buckskin!! Mud, yup, they ain't a-rearin' but you could see how that would upset the little buggy they are in, lol!

I picked up a few sayings from my dad...

When asked something like when someone would see him again my dad will say, "Someday soon or Sunday noon."

When getting ready to leave after a visit, my dad often says, "Glad you got to see me." :LOL:

When he has to go to the store to buy something he says he is going to the ____ store (whatever he is going to buy). "I'm going to the glue store." I'm going to lightbulb store." "I'm going to the underwear store."

When it is time to eat we all say it is time to "Wash your front feet."

Someone else already mentioned this one, but my mom used to say, "Hold your horses" a lot. I say that one now too.

One I just started saying one day when my daughter was younger was (when I'm talking to my daughter or a kid) "Okey Dokey Kidokey." (James says, "Okey Dokey Karaoke.").

:) Barbara

When I asked for something and my Dad said, "Second Tuesday of next week.", I knew I wouldn't get it.
How about "Shoot fire and save matches"? My grandma never cussed, but came close with "Shooooooot!" or "Helllllp"

One I just started saying one day when my daughter was younger was (when I'm talking to my daughter or a kid) "Okey Dokey Kidokey." (James says, "Okey Dokey Karaoke

Omg that's so funny. My son says something similar.
He says Okey Dokey Artichokey

middie said:
My son says something similar.
He says Okey Dokey Artichokey
LOL James says that one sometimes too.

I loved the one about second Tuesday of next week! I have heard it before but had forgotten it. I'll have to use that one sometime!

:) Barbara

How about - Jeeper-Creepers ............ Holey Moses'....... Slow poke, Lets go girty'. Just a few I just thought of.

Last edited:
i saw this old thread and had a good laugh, so i'll add a few.

when a hockey game starts getting rough, it's a "katie bar the door" type of match.

one of my faves is "you don't have to outrun the bear, just the guy you're hiking with".

my dad had a million expressions. there ain't no atheists in foxholes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions, no one ever said life would be fair, keep your wits about you, keep your nose in the wind and eye on the skyline, watch your topknot, and so many more.

he is a very serious man who likes to read about the old west, lol.

How about: "keep your britches on", "where's the fire" "were you born in a barn?" "hold your water", "praise the lord and pass the ammunition". Growing up, when one of us was pouting my mom would say "you better pick that lip up before you step on it!"

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

Funny thread, &, worth a resurrection bucky! LOL :) I say so many silly things that, I really could clack out pages of strange things that fly fly from my mouth sometimes. I don't know WHY I say 95% of it, but,...in retrospect, to be quite honest, I sometimes sound very wise & sorta crazy at the same time! LOL....(I blame the "country" in me)!

One of my favorite sayings when my kids were acting up was "Were you raised by wolves?" Said it to my oldest boy's buddy, and he responded, "NOOoooooOoooo!" , howling like a wolf.

I lived in Alabama for a while, and one of my neighbors did not curse or swear. Instead, she said, "Foot!" in a tone that sounded worse than if she had said the other F word.

This is a fun thread--thanks for digging it up!

For feeling not-so-smart, I like, "I cannot brain. I have the dumb."

And a Danish expression, "Peeing your pants to get warm." Might only work in cold climates ;)

Back
Top Bottom