"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-26-2006, 05:35 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Mine will be put up on 1st December. Since I do not have a frontyard and backyard to decorate until we move to our country house, I must confine my attention to my living room and hall of my present house. My artificial Christmas tree is similar to the one that shpj4 has except that the golden lights are separate and form a different pattern. I usually decorate it with cotton wool to resemble snowflakes and hang golden angels, bells, pine cones and miniature Santa Claus and other figurines on it. I must say it looks pretty real and during this festive period DH and I will usually sit by the tree in the evening and watch the twinkling display of the lights. Quite a sight to behold! The house will be also adorned with wreaths and other trimmings to give it a Christmassy effect.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:33 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I love Christmas decorating! All of your homes sound so wonderful - I wonder, I wonder, can you all post some pictures so we can see how beautiful everything is? This thread could be a walk down our DC neighborhood - all our homes side by side - anyone up for that?

Old 11-26-2006, 12:56 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I have white icicle lights on my house. I have a snowman inflateable that won't inflate, the motor is broke. And I have a polar bear inflateable. That's it. I like to keep it simple.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:59 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We have a wonderful little pine tree we brought with us from Maryland. We planted it in a nice open space in the front yard and it has taken off like a rocket. The soil here is divine. We always decorate it with lots of little green lights. It's grown so much this year, it'll take a few more strings of lights.

Our first floor has 10-foot ceilings and the entryway has a beautiful, ornate arch that I usually decorate with artificial greenery, white tulle, strands of pearls, tiny crystal lights, and silver and crystal antique-like ornaments. It's beautiful and it creates a nice Christmassy welcome as you come in.

I'll hang our Advent calendar in the hallway, as I have done for over 36 years. I made it when I was pregnant with my first child, who will be 36 on December 5th. Even though none of the children will be here for Christmas, they would shoot me if I didn't hang it up. I'm in the process of duplicating one for each of them to have for their families.

I don't know if we'll put up a tree this year. Perhaps only our "patriotic" tree, which is decorated with red/white/blue lights and anything flag-like or patriotic. It will be set up in the dining room because it's small enough to be set up on the server.

We've been keeping decorating pretty minimal the last couple of years because it's just been Buck and me and I'm usually the one who does the ladder-climbing, etc. to do the decorating.

In lieu of decorating heavily, I bake LOTS! That's something we both enjoy. The neat thing about that is there's always lots left after the holiday is over, so we can enjoy Christmas far into January.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
I do not decorate. If I was married I probably would. I have white lights on my fake indoor tree year round though.
I positively love the tiny holiday lights and have them inside my home, year round, too! In my bedroom I have a large multi-limbed branch that I have unusual ornaments hanging from, along with beads, ribbons and small glass birds. I have blue lights on it, and always light it on the weekends. I also have a metal corset and head piece arranged so it looks like Mrs. Claude Rains is wearing it...decorated in red lights.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:47 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Vera, I absolutely love your threads. I think your very articulate as well. One thing that threw me though was when you described your neighbors as
"hispancic underlings" I'm fairly certain you didnt have any intensions there, but it could be misconstrued as such.

Anyway, I ended up doing Christmas lights on my front porch. I have strings of white and blue, that are sort of icicle looking. Normally I do just white or just blue, but this year I went with both colors. It looks so nice! I may put some garland around my porch posts as well. Eventually I'll get my Christmas tree, and maybe a wreath for the front door. I have to dig alot of stuff out of the attic, we have lots of decorations from my parents, and new ones as well.

I've yet to do a garland of popcorn and cranberries, which I've seen so much about, but it could be fun, and good bird food too!
Amber, I would never intentionally disrepect anyone, indeed. When I referred to hispanic underlings, I meant that the man who owns the home across the street is the same man who owns the construction company (I see the trucks in front of his home every now and then)....and he makes his employees, people of obvious hispanic heritage, come to decorate his home. I was trying to point out the apparent exploitation of employees for personal reasons.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:50 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
I love Christmas decorating! All of your homes sound so wonderful - I wonder, I wonder, can you all post some pictures so we can see how beautiful everything is? This thread could be a walk down our DC neighborhood - all our homes side by side - anyone up for that?
I took a few pictures of the inside earlier today, but haven't taken any of the outside yet. Without a digital camera, I have to wait till I finish the roll. I should put 'digital camera' on my wishlist!
Old 11-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
I have white lights on my fake indoor tree year round though.
Me too, Sushi!

Without the kids or grandbaby coming this year, I'm a little sad. Actually my oldest son and my ex will be driving through so I'll invite them to stay a few days. Fortunately all of us exs get along very well and there is no stress at all. My ex is very ill and is on a lung transplant list so he needs our oldest boy to drive him to his family in Alabama. Each holiday that he is alive gives us great joy.

I do find it very hard to get everything out when I'll enjoy it for a few days and have to put it all away again. We decorated my youngest son's house (inside and out) while I was up there over Thanksgiving and that's enough for me.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:55 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Amber, I would never intentionally disrepect anyone, indeed. When I referred to hispanic underlings, I meant that the man who owns the home across the street is the same man who owns the construction company (I see the trucks in front of his home every now and then)....and he makes his employees, people of obvious hispanic heritage, come to decorate his home. I was trying to point out the apparent exploitation of employees for personal reasons.
I definately misread what you wrote Vera and I do apologize. How sad that he makes his employees decorate the house. He and his wife obviously have no christmas spirit.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:05 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I definately misread what you wrote Vera and I do apologize. How sad that he makes his employees decorate the house. He and his wife obviously have no christmas spirit.
They remind me of a couple of wanna-be Sopranos. For all I know, he may be the real deal Soprano. Wouldn't surprise me in the least. It still doesn't change the fact that making your employees decorate your home for christmas seems lacking in spirit, to me.

Jetplanes could land on his sidewalk, the white lights so brightly illuminate the entire walkway. Holographic santa could wave the pilot over to the bondage gingerbread people for cocktails. Mayhaps the fata$$ snowmen could do a rumba while the plastic soldier men did a chorus line....