"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 11-25-2006, 06:16 PM   #1
Executive Chef
Holiday Decorating?

Like storing winter clothes in the summer, I always spend the days after Thanksgiving decorating the inside and outside of my home for Christmas.

I've left lights on the two trees in the front yard year round. I like the way it looks, and don't know why I cannot enjoy them all year. The back yard and gardens are lit all year, why not the front?

But, I do make it more christmas-y, and I do more on the banisters and along the drive.

I have a dwarf plum tree that is always festooned with mardi gras colours, year round. I have a cherry blossom tree that is always festooned with shades of blue. Yesterday, we added white twinkling snowflakes and large snow balls. The rhododendrons around the trunk are done in green. The banisters along the front steps have fresh pine garland and blue lights. Blue and silver bows at the bottom, and blue and silver poinsettias in the flower boxes at the top of the stairs. Three wreaths, one in each window along side the door, and one in the door, also festooned with blue and silver ribbons, bows and trinkets.

I wish I could put a mirror in front of my house so when I look out the window I can see it............instead of the christmas nightmare I am subjected to across the street.

Across the street is one of the original mcmansions. A new home that is way too big and ostentatious for the street it is placed on. The family who lives there own a construction company. Every year, one of the hispanic underlings comes over the day after Thanksgiving and decorates the house. I have to admit, half the joy of enjoying your lights is putting them up in good cheer. This poor guy pulls everything out of his boss's garage and decorates the house while the prima donna gives direction from the front step. Pathetic.

And it's not even pretty stuff to look at. There are 8 plastic soldiers, faded now from 7 years of use hooked to the stair banisters. Two white christmas trees at the landing. Matching fat A$$ snowmen strapped to two trees. Gingerbread men in christmas light bondage next to a gingerbread house. A gigantic snowbubble machine, and the topper is a lighted reindeer and lighted sleigh with a plastic santa stuck in it....the reindeer's head is dark, the back of the sleigh is dark, and santa's face looks holographic. It's worse than a Nightmare before Christmas....it's more like an LSD christmas display.

They drag the same giant wreath with two red bows out year after year and nail it to the center of the house...no small feat, considering it's made of brick. White brick.

Have you decorated? What's it like? Are you subjected to tastless displays of plastic toys in babeland?

How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
Head Chef
I love to decorate for the Holidays. I have a 6 foot tree that has all colored lights and white lights already on the tree. It comes in three pieces and I just put the bottom one on with it's own stand and then put the second section on then the third. You would never know that it was an artificial tree.

Then I put all my ornaments on it and it looks absolutely georgeous.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Vera, thanks for the laughs! Your description of your neighbor's house is hysterical!

Since it is a nice 60 degrees here in the Chicago area we just returned from a walk outside to look at all the Christmas lights. My son loves the snow "bubbles" as he calls it, with the snow flying all around.

We always decorate early so we can turn the lights on the day after Thanksgiving. Inside, however, I am an early bird. I didn't decorate until last weekend, but I usually start in early November - I know, I'm weird. Shpj4 and Verablue, post pictures of your house if you can! I would love to see your decorating
Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Master Chef
I am just starting to get my decorations out of the basement. We have the lights over the garage door and on three of the bushes in front of the house. My five year old granddaughter, Emily, was here this afternoon with me and I had a fun time showing her some of the snowmen decorations I have been putting around the house.
Up the street our neighbors have a full size "singing" Santa Claus and you should see him dance. I have never seen one of them before.
Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I do not decorate. If I was married I probably would. I have white lights on my fake indoor tree year round though.
-DEADLY SUSHI- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
Executive Chef
Vera, I absolutely love your threads. I think your very articulate as well. One thing that threw me though was when you described your neighbors as
"hispancic underlings" I'm fairly certain you didnt have any intensions there, but it could be misconstrued as such.

Anyway, I ended up doing Christmas lights on my front porch. I have strings of white and blue, that are sort of icicle looking. Normally I do just white or just blue, but this year I went with both colors. It looks so nice! I may put some garland around my porch posts as well. Eventually I'll get my Christmas tree, and maybe a wreath for the front door. I have to dig alot of stuff out of the attic, we have lots of decorations from my parents, and new ones as well.

I've yet to do a garland of popcorn and cranberries, which I've seen so much about, but it could be fun, and good bird food too!
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:08 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Outside, DH has multicolored light, I want the white, he loves all colors sooo, since the inside is MINE to do as I please, I've let the colored light be.
My tree is tall, white lights, my colors are silver,gold and crystal icicles or tears, silver garlands of beads, angles Ahhh my angels, The dinning table has a mauve cloth, mirrors on top with silver, mauve sparle fruit and flowers, and in the very center on a mirror the loveliest angel in white and gold given me by a dear dear DC friend.the railing seperating the dinning family room has a garland with flowers and beads to blend with the dinning table and is lighted with the white lights. I have several small trees for the bathrooms along with candles. The kitchen this year will be in silver, amber, gold a large amber cut glass like broken mirrors candle holder,put together again will hold a soft pumpkin or light copper colored candle, there is a silver dish filled with tiny glass bulbs of gold,copper,silver and frosty white, now I have to dig up something for the back porch counter and put up the nativity and magi and I'll be done.
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:14 AM   #8
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
my jack o lantern looks darling with the lil x-mas lights. Why decorate when you can elaborate?
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:23 AM   #9
Executive Chef
It is not the tradition here to decorate until the first week of December at the earliest - and I usually leave it until about the second week. I have white lights in the two largest trees in the front garden, a wreath for the door, and that's it for outside.

Mind you, the stores have been decorated for Christmas since the day after Halloween!
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:33 AM   #10
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by amber
One thing that threw me though was when you described your neighbors as
"hispancic underlings"
I think if you re-read what VeraBlue wrote, you'll see that she was making a reference to a person her neighbors hire, and specifically, what this person was to her neighbors, not what he was to herself. I understood that maybe part of what she dislikes about her neighbors is just that -- that they hire someone they consider inferior to do something as joyful as decorating their house for the holidays. (Or so say I ... only VeraBlue's hairdresser knows for sure!)

XeniA is offline   Reply With Quote