"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-27-2007, 08:58 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I make AWESOME banana bread. I also make really good peanut butter cup cookies and the best chocolate chip cookies in the family. I guess I could bake for everyone. I know them better this year and I know Eric loves to eat. We hide food from him and he gives Wisconsin cheese.

Okay. I guess it's decision made, goodies. Jewel can always bring them to her family if she's still watching her weight religiously.
In that case, wrap your loaves of nut bread in plastic wrap then in a pretty (Christmas) dish towel, tie with a ribbon that has a wooden spoon in the knot and use the printed recipe as the gift card.

The dish towels and spoons can be had for next to nothing at a dollar store.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Katie that's a great idea. A "little" girly but the men both have significant others so who cares. You know they bring it home to their families and you want to wives/fiances to know it's for them to so girly is okay. I really like that idea a lot.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:27 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Every Christmas morning, I think of a family friend who made us zucchini bread evey year for Christmas when I was growing up. We always had that with our coffee & hot cocoa while opening gifts. He will always be remembered by his thoughtfulness & delicious baking! You never know, your banana bread or peanut butter cookies could turn into a breakfast tradition or a treat for Santa!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Oooooh, Callisto, for me, banana nut bread says Christmas! And who doesn't adore home made chocolate chip cookies??? I think you'll be a huge hit around the office and everyone will go home with warm fuzzy feelings. Don't we all feel really "cared for" when someone bakes for us? Be sure and let us know how it goes!
Old 11-27-2007, 11:27 PM   #25
Master Chef

Food is always a good gift. It is something that can be enjoyed and appreciatied without sitting around the house taking up space (well, maybe on the hips but who really cares about that at Christmas?). Depending on how your work space is, another thought might be to bring some substantial food into the office one day for everyone working there to partake during working hours. Maybe like meatballs and other finger food appetizers that can be easily eaten along with a festive punch.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:35 PM   #26
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Jewel can always bring them to her family if she's still watching her weight religiously.
Callisto, noone watches their weight religiously during Christmas, except to watch it go up! especially when they get homemade goodies for gifts.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:13 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I can't afford anything even for family this year. I was thinking some apple pepper jelly and an assortment of breads / candy. Cookies won't work because we always do a family cookie bake / exchange day about 2 weeks before. Too much Cookies!!!
I also learned to crochet, so that I could make pretty snowflake and angel ornaments for everyone, a ball of thread costs like $1.50 and I can make about 30-40 snowflakes from it! For my mom and MIL I will make some doilies, maybe some trivet and potholder sets... I could knit those too.
Being broke makes one think alot more... I think....
Old 11-28-2007, 09:25 AM   #28
Head Chef

suziquzie thank you for sharing. Maybe we can slow down this out of control so called Christmas giving thing. It's more and more a burden for so many. My immediate family has made a deal - absolutely no gifts. Daughter will take care of her children and that's it. I am very pleased about this and I hope she reduces the irrational amount of gifts to the children - age 7 and 8.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Katie that's a great idea. A "little" girly but the men both have significant others so who cares. You know they bring it home to their families and you want to wives/fiances to know it's for them to so girly is okay. I really like that idea a lot.
Another option for the guys is to just wrap them in green-colored plastic wrap and put a ribbon on top.

I had a boss once who took a vacation day for holiday baking, and came in the next day with mini loaves of bread for everyone - cranberry, pumpkin, etc. I thought that was great.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I can't afford anything even for family this year. I was thinking some apple pepper jelly and an assortment of breads / candy. Cookies won't work because we always do a family cookie bake / exchange day about 2 weeks before. Too much Cookies!!!
I also learned to crochet, so that I could make pretty snowflake and angel ornaments for everyone, a ball of thread costs like $1.50 and I can make about 30-40 snowflakes from it! For my mom and MIL I will make some doilies, maybe some trivet and potholder sets... I could knit those too.
Being broke makes one think alot more... I think....
One year, I made Christmas tree ornaments for everyone from crafty things from Michael's - for example, one was a 5-inch piece of eucalyptus and I tied a small (musical instrument) horn to it with a piece of red ribbon. I bought a package of small clear glass ornaments, filled them with potpourri, and hot-glued a ribbon to the top; bought some small, maybe 4-inch diameter wreaths and hot-glued potpourri, ribbons, etc., to them. I had a great book, similar to this (can't remember the name right now): Amazon.com: Christmas Naturals: Ornaments, Wreaths & Decorations: Books: Carol Taylor