"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Master Chef

Holiday family friction?

We hear quite a bit about extended family tensions at holiday dinners.
Often we don't see some of these people we really don't like all year until we're thrown together at the holidays.

When I was a kid I had an Uncle Walter who was obnoxious most of the time, and during the holidays he was even worse. He all but ruined holiday dinners for years.

Do you have any stories?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

No real frictions here. SO and I always used to go to my sister's home for dinner. Now that my daughters are established, they come here most years and that's my priority. Sis understands.

The only real issue is that SO really doesn't like Thanksgiving. She accepts that I really love making Thanksgiving dinner. She focuses on the family's being here and dotes on our grandson. She also makes a killer pumpkin roll and Armenian holiday cookies.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Sous Chef

We enjoy our time with family & friends with no friction at all... other than... I do have a brother-in-law who is totally obnoxious and profane, even in front of the kids. He lays around taking up the entire sofa, puts what HE wants on the television. Pulls all the skin off the turkey before it's carved. Doesn't work. Drinks like mad which makes him worse. I dislike how everyone just accepts this behavior and simply says: "That's Just Kenny".
Other than that...hehehe..... loving family.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Master Chef

CM. Kenny sounds like my long gone Uncle Walter reincarnated. He rips the skin off the turkey before it's carved? Not even Uncle Walter did that...if he had, he wouldn't have lived as long as he did.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Most of the time we all get along just fine. There are moments though when I rater be some place than here. But it passes and we love and enjoy the others. I so love making the foods for snacking, the sweets and drinks. It all comes together and we just eat,drink and watch the little ones open their presents and play.
kades
Old 11-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Head Chef

we have two ... my mils boyfriend ... he is something else .. i do my best to avoid him at all costs .. and i cook a lot of the turkey day dinner on the grill .. and he is one of those that has to open it every 5 mins ... drives me insane .. then we have a neighbor
that likes to make a few visits on our street ... last year i had to tell him to leave he was so infused with the holiday spirit if you will ... and my mother and my sister just generally bicker non stop but im used to that ...
Old 11-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Well, and I just remembered my nieces boyfriend who enters the house, walks past everyone without so much as a "POOH" and starts eating . Sits down with his food and let's my elderly mother stand. Plops himself in front of the tv to watch sports which most of us aren't interested in, yelling at the set. Immature Inconsiderate and ~@!X*^. ya know?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Thanksgiving has always been my dad's favorite holiday, so he is on his best behavior. That helps. I went home last year for thanksgiving and all was calm. I don't get back for holidays much, so when I am there things go well for the most part. As for my family here, we just get along. None of us are into arguments or petty behavior.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney
Well, and I just remembered my nieces boyfriend who enters the house, walks past everyone without so much as a "POOH" and starts eating . Sits down with his food and let's my elderly mother stand. Plops himself in front of the tv to watch sports which most of us aren't interested in, yelling at the set. Immature Inconsiderate and ~@!X*^. ya know?
Are you sure it's not my BIL? He does that too.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Are you sure it's not my BIL? He does that too.
chopper
What are the chances?