Holiday Gift Giving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
I was mulling over the recent thread concerning making financial contributions to worthwhile causes and thought I would relay what I have been doing the past 4 years for Christmas gifts.

I was always a person who insisted on making my Christmas presents for family members, but after almost 30 years of it, I got quite burned out on the process. I now make contributions to a worthwhile organization in the name of my sisters, BIL's and mothers. At first I was concerned how they would feel about receiving no gift and just a card explaining what I had done with the money, and I was quite surprised how well it was received. All the families have responded with gratitude.

This may not work in all situations, but I encourage you to think about this. It enables you to make a significant contribution to an organization that otherwise you may not make.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We do that at work, rather than exchange gifts. I still make gifts for the family, but if burn out sets in, that's probably what I'll do!

What kind of gifts do you make? Kids and I usually make things for grandparents, and my sister's always receive breast cancer things. I would love to be able to make more gifts but just don't have many ideas?

For me, I like to sew. So I made kitchen aprons, pot holders, placemats, matching napkins and tablecloths, wall hangings, Christmas tree skirts, Christmas stockings, table runners. One year I made simple, scrub type blouses. I tended to make light, non breakable items, otherwise I would have made food items, like cookie mixes, dried bean mixes packed in glass quart jars. If I am traveling to family houses around Christmas time, I will wrap and deliver home made wild black raspberry jam and home made pizza sauce. And I use garlic bulbs wrapped in newspaper as stuffing for the packages.
I hope others contribute to this question. I needed ideas too!

Loppraine, I was glad to see you do that at work, that's neat.

We have a number of community agencies that send holiday contribution letters.
PRO--physicians reach out--doctors see uninsured in their offices pro bono.
Homeless Shelter
Urban Ministries--also for the homeless
Crisis Assistance Ministry
Good Fellows--a lunch for over 1000 men at Christmas where they feature 3 families (of MANY) who need help. They raise about $125,000 plus their "membership" dues for helping folks throughout the year.
Good Friends--same as above but formed for women
Empty Stocking Fund--newspaper's Christmas fund raiser.
Many others.

However this year, in addition to regular gifts to our grandchildren I am going to give them a cow to give to an African family. I think the name of the agency is Heifers. It is being done by our youth at church.

I make jams, chutney, limoncello, pulled pork, smoked chickens, romtopf, etc. for gifts.

Last edited:
I make various chutneys, red pepper jelly, brandied cherries etc and put together baskets. Some may get frozen appetizers with instructions on how to heat them.

Regarding Holiday Gift Giving I always give my friends and neighbors gifts.

The only time I make donations is when someone passes away and I give money to their favorite charity.

Last year the student council at my school had spare money after paying for our World Vision sponsor child so we got a brouchure of things we could buy for 3rd world countries and the kids voted on what to get. We ended up buying 2 toilets for an African village because so many of the children were dying of dysentry. We had great discussions about what to get, some of the little ones thought that if we were buying a buffalo we'd get to keep it at school!

I donate in my Grandfather's, Dad and stepmom's name each Christmas.
They are the kind of people who always say "don't get me anything" I'm the kind of person that has to get something for everyone. This makes us all happy plus helps someone else out. I think it's a great idea.

pdswife said:
I donate in my Grandfather's, Dad and stepmom's name each Christmas.
They are the kind of people who always say "don't get me anything" I'm the kind of person that has to get something for everyone. This makes us all happy plus helps someone else out. I think it's a great idea.

pds, that's perfect!

And Gretchen, that is quite generous of you, I know how much a cow costs! Actually, the organization I contribute to is Heifer International. Used to be called the Heifer Project. And I buy goats in the name of my relatives. That's why I was concerned at first, what would the MIL think of not only not receiving a gift, but that I used that money to buy a goat? (She is not particularly enamored with goats). But like pds' family, she always says to skip the gifts........and she really is happy with this solution.

mrsmac said:
Last year the student council at my school had spare money after paying for our World Vision sponsor child so we got a brouchure of things we could buy for 3rd world countries and the kids voted on what to get. We ended up buying 2 toilets for an African village because so many of the children were dying of dysentry. We had great discussions about what to get, some of the little ones thought that if we were buying a buffalo we'd get to keep it at school!

Well did they get to keep the Buffalo at school ?? :ohmy: :angel: :LOL:

Acts of Kindness like all listed above show the LOVE still left in this World !!! :chef:
My Heart goes out to all of you No Matter where you live, "HEART truely has NO bounds". If we each hug the next 2 people just imagine how much better life could be....Start the Cycle today !!! :cool:

bethzaring said:
pds, that's perfect!

And Gretchen, that is quite generous of you, I know how much a cow costs! Actually, the organization I contribute to is Heifer International. Used to be called the Heifer Project. And I buy goats in the name of my relatives. That's why I was concerned at first, what would the MIL think of not only not receiving a gift, but that I used that money to buy a goat? (She is not particularly enamored with goats). But like pds' family, she always says to skip the gifts........and she really is happy with this solution.

I haven't seen the list yet so don't know. I just want them to be introduced to that concept of thinking of ones that have so much less than they do. In the past I have given goats from somewhere and solar ovens.

We always gave a gift to our Medical Alliance Endowment in honor of my husband's parents. They REALLY liked that--they were generous people to charities in their own lives and this meant a lot to them. It became quite personal with them.

As for always giving gifts and not honorary donations for friends and family, we are at a stage of life where we need nor want for anything and also need to divest what we have. I, of course, can always find room for grandchildren's art and gifts--and anyone else's who are thoughtful enough to do something for us.
But with the needs of the world SO great, it seems thoughtless not to try to alleviate it in some way when the opportunity is there. I know our friends really appreciate that we do this. And it is also a great way to "spread the word" about charities and needs.

Back
Top Bottom