"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-28-2006, 08:36 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
I donate in my Grandfather's, Dad and stepmom's name each Christmas.
They are the kind of people who always say "don't get me anything" I'm the kind of person that has to get something for everyone. This makes us all happy plus helps someone else out. I think it's a great idea.
pds, that's perfect!

And Gretchen, that is quite generous of you, I know how much a cow costs! Actually, the organization I contribute to is Heifer International. Used to be called the Heifer Project. And I buy goats in the name of my relatives. That's why I was concerned at first, what would the MIL think of not only not receiving a gift, but that I used that money to buy a goat? (She is not particularly enamored with goats). But like pds' family, she always says to skip the gifts........and she really is happy with this solution.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:02 AM   #12
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmac
Last year the student council at my school had spare money after paying for our World Vision sponsor child so we got a brouchure of things we could buy for 3rd world countries and the kids voted on what to get. We ended up buying 2 toilets for an African village because so many of the children were dying of dysentry. We had great discussions about what to get, some of the little ones thought that if we were buying a buffalo we'd get to keep it at school!

Well did they get to keep the Buffalo at school ??

Acts of Kindness like all listed above show the LOVE still left in this World !!!
My Heart goes out to all of you No Matter where you live, "HEART truely has NO bounds". If we each hug the next 2 people just imagine how much better life could be....Start the Cycle today !!!

Old 09-28-2006, 09:55 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
pds, that's perfect!

And Gretchen, that is quite generous of you, I know how much a cow costs! Actually, the organization I contribute to is Heifer International. Used to be called the Heifer Project. And I buy goats in the name of my relatives. That's why I was concerned at first, what would the MIL think of not only not receiving a gift, but that I used that money to buy a goat? (She is not particularly enamored with goats). But like pds' family, she always says to skip the gifts........and she really is happy with this solution.
I haven't seen the list yet so don't know. I just want them to be introduced to that concept of thinking of ones that have so much less than they do. In the past I have given goats from somewhere and solar ovens.

We always gave a gift to our Medical Alliance Endowment in honor of my husband's parents. They REALLY liked that--they were generous people to charities in their own lives and this meant a lot to them. It became quite personal with them.

As for always giving gifts and not honorary donations for friends and family, we are at a stage of life where we need nor want for anything and also need to divest what we have. I, of course, can always find room for grandchildren's art and gifts--and anyone else's who are thoughtful enough to do something for us.
But with the needs of the world SO great, it seems thoughtless not to try to alleviate it in some way when the opportunity is there. I know our friends really appreciate that we do this. And it is also a great way to "spread the word" about charities and needs.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:08 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I posted the Brandied Cherries recipes in a misc forum, didn't quite know where to put it. Hope you enjoy it.