"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
Everymom

Holiday Stress/Coping

I posted something like this last year and got blasted a bit so I'm hoping this doesn't create more strife. I'm hoping it will be more help than harm.

The last few weeks have been weird around here. People who normally seem even tempered posting things out of character, people sending nastiness to folks undeserving, people posting complete trash on the boards. I've been humming and doing my job here with lots of "goodwill toward man" in my heart, and now I'm finding it diminishing. In an effort to boost my flagging spirits I thought I'd post a thread where we can all support one another.

When my spirits get low I talk to some of my closest friends here at DC, and when they are busy or otherwise unavailable I put on some music and sing REALLY loudly. It helps. Snuggling my fuzzy friends in the house helps too.

So, whats causing stress for you and how do you cope?

Old 12-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
WEATHER!!!! OH GOODNESS!!! WE don't do weather well here in seattle...and it's snowy and icy and COLD...now "they" are saying we will be having wind storms on top of it all. Winds between 70 and 90 miles an hour!!! Good bye power! Good bye internet! Good bye Tv! Goodbye lights! Good bye!!!!!!! FOR DAYS AND DAYS!!! We are always last on the list to get fixed...7 days last winter... Thank GOD we have propane for heat at least we'll have the fireplace working...and we can sleep next to it.

How do I cope... ummmm...cookies...chocolate... and DC when I have power...hugs from Paul all help. Kaluha in the hot cocoa doesn't hurt!

Old 12-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Isn't that why they make Bourbon???? And -- I really like your loud singing!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Old 12-19-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I posted something like this last year and got blasted a bit so I'm hoping this doesn't create more strife. I'm hoping it will be more help than harm.

The last few weeks have been weird around here. People who normally seem even tempered posting things out of character, people sending nastiness to folks undeserving, people posting complete trash on the boards. I've been humming and doing my job here with lots of "goodwill toward man" in my heart, and now I'm finding it diminishing. In an effort to boost my flagging spirits I thought I'd post a thread where we can all support one another.

When my spirits get low I talk to some of my closest friends here at DC, and when they are busy or otherwise unavailable I put on some music and sing REALLY loudly. It helps. Snuggling my fuzzy friends in the house helps too.

Are you talking about this board because I haven't noticed anything bad here?
Old 12-19-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
Master Chef

No stress here my friend... just coasting through the holidays! I guess work is keeping me busy so I don't have time to be stressed about other things.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Alix, just count your blessings....keep that singing going and hug everyone/thing you can......all that is sooooo stress relieving......Have your Best Christmas ever.....
Old 12-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Are you talking about this board because I haven't noticed anything bad here?
That means I'm doing my job well, as are the other mods. Trust me, there has been some stuff posted here that really shouldn't have been. Glad you haven't seen any of the crabbiness, that makes me feel good.

UB, bourbon is good...I think I'll go with either mulled wine or brandy though in keeping with the season. (and I must be really loud if you hear me that far away! )

pdswife, OMG...no INTERNET!!! Chocolate is critical in that instance!
Old 12-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
Everymom

Hugs to you Ella! Merry Christmas to you and I hope it is a wonderful and healthy holiday for you this year.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #9
Head Chef

Illness causes most of my stress.
My methods for coping with stress?
1. Massotherapy
2. Meditation
3. Baking
4. Helping others
5. Not procrastinating
6. Trying to put myself in other peoples' shoes
7. Cutting people slack, I am not perfect either
8. Being forgiving
9. Not expecting the worse in people but seeing their good
10. Counting my blessings
Old 12-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
Everymom

Great list! The only one I clearly have trouble with is #5 (see my oven cleaning thread) I'll look at fixing it later!

Closed Thread