Home Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Hello DC family! We're home from our holiday and in the process of processing our pictures and the laundry! Ugh. I missed you all and I'm glad to be home. I'm going to have quite a time of it catching up I think. 10 pages to look at! Yikes.

Welcome Home Alix! Hope you enjoyed your time away. Looking forward to pics! (and the stories that go with them!)

Ooh .. nice pictures !! Looks like you had a fabulous time. Thanks for sharing and welcome home !!

:)

Ziplining???

Yep! I LOVE ziplining! This one was pretty much idiot proof too, no real danger (dang it) as they have new trolley thingys and an automatic brake thing at the bottom. Most dangerous part of it was the stinky helmet. EW.

I segway'ed on Antigua too but those pictures are horrendous. LOL. If you get a chance to try that, do.

The Segway sounds fun. I'm not even a roller coaster fan so the ziplining is out.

I won't do roller coasrers either. But ziplining always looked like fun to me. But I too would be concerened with a stinky helmut. Do they spray them before they pass them on to the next customer? Like the do bowling shoes? :angel:

yes, alix, yes, we missed you and your posts, your wit--welcome back to where you belong!

lady of leisure, sipping her 'cuppa'--what's in that cuppa one wonders...is that ziplining, like, a high, alix? i've been liking the looks of it, and sky diving is out for me. beautiful pristine beaches at tortola! i've never been to a beach of a pure whiteness such as that...we wanna hear about the food, fresh seafood--cooked on lava rocks, oh, i could swoon...looks like a fun time for you, alix. thank you for sharing--oh, and what lovely and spacious suites, too. :)

Thanks all!

Addie, they do spray the helmets, that's just not enough for the germphobe in me. I have an über sensitive nose so things others miss I can smell. It didn't stop me ziplining though.

vitauta, thanks! I missed you too (and I was worried I'd have to forfeit our WWF game!) I'm happy to share LOTS of food stories. The cuppa is just coffee at that moment. I did indulge heavily in everything that was available, just not at 7am! Some folks might start their day with a mimosa, but I'm strictly coffee until my neurons start firing.

I can't rave enough about the food on the ship. When they say 6 star they are not kidding. The food was beautifully presented and incredibly delicious. The breads were varied and baked fresh every day. I'm not a big bread eater, but even I had to have some baguette or some pumpernickel in the morning with some grape jelly. Mmmmm.

Breakfasts:
Well, you could choose room service and have your butler come and serve you whatever you wanted on a snowy white tablecloth with beautiful china plates. We only did that once. We usually chose to go for the buffet breakfast. As with most places, they had an omelette station where Elyssa would prepare you any egg dish you desired to your exact specifications. Unlike most places, you didn't wait in line for this. You told your server what you wanted and he would bring it to you, piping hot and fresh. The buffet itself started with all kinds of cold cuts. Coppa, mortadella, salami, smoked salmon, proscuitto, you name it, they had it. Then you moved on to the cheese selection, and please don't ask me to tell you every variety. I simply couldn't retain that much info in my tiny little noggin. I will say that the american cheddar is a disappointment. I'm hoping that is NOT what you guys eat every day at home because it tasted a bit like wallpaper paste and plastic mixed together. However, the other cheeses were to die for. I discovered bel paese on this trip and have decided it is a new favorite. The gouda and emmenthal were also to die for yummy. After the cheese station, there was the fruit section. Holy moly, and don't think about serving yourself, they have someone to do that for you. You just point, and ask for more or less and you've got it. Then the hot foods, three types of bacon, sausage, different types of potatoey stuff (not my favorite), baked beans, and other assorted things. I'm mostly a fruit, cheese and bread girl at breakfast, so I confess I did not pay close attention. After the hot food section we come to the breads. Did I mention they were often still a bit warm? OMG. So good. Baguette, parker house rolls, whole wheat, pumpernickel, rye and pretty much anything you can imagine. Next to that was the jams, jellies and other condiments. WOW. At a separate station they had every kind of cereal and yogurt you can imagine. I counted 8 different varieties of cereal one morning. One thing I thought was unusual, and smart, about this cruise line was their offering of fat free or low calorie selections. They made a real point of having something that was very healthy for those diners (not me!) who wanted to focus on their waistlines.

My usual breakfast consisted of a large plate of fresh fruit, some bacon or proscuitto, possibly either 2 boiled eggs (6 minutes please), or 2 over easy eggs, and a couple slices of baguette with some grape jelly. And coffee, can't forget THAT.

I'll talk about lunch later, I've just made myself hungry and need to go rummage through my fridge for breakfast!

Looks like you had fun! No ziplining for me! The heights would freak me out too much. Just thinking about it gets me hyperventilating! I'll keep my feet firmly on the ground thank you.

OK, Lunch. Well, lunch could happen in several locations and was a bit different in each place. One restaurant was a la carte and you could order whatever you liked from the menu. Another restaurant was buffet, and the pool bar served light lunch fare as well. If none of that struck your fancy, then feel free to order 24 hour room service, to be served by your butler!

Buffet:

There were a few staples, a sushi and sashimi station was always there. The sushi was good, but not excellent. I tasted it once and then decided to focus elsewhere. There was always a truly magnificent salad bar with several types of lettuce and other greens. Romaine, arugula, spinach, and of course iceberg were always available. To add to these you could select cucumber, olives (several types), tomatoes, peppers, onions, different kinds of nuts, sliced strawberries or diced apple and mandarin orange slices along with croutons and bacon bits. And other things I'm forgetting, it was a very extensive salad bar. There were always about 6 different types of dressing available. Ranch, caesar and balsamic were always offered but the other three were different. There was always a "wellness" option that was low cal, and then sometimes there would be french or blue cheese dressing, and some other options as well. I confess, I didn't memorize them all. Next along the buffet came the fish station. OMG, sooooo good! The head chef would go out to the fish market first thing in the morning and select a fresh catch to be the fish of the day. My favorite was the day he did snapper in garlic and white wine with shallots. I could have eaten the whole fish myself. Next along the line would be the hot offering, sometimes a turkey, or a roast beef or perhaps a pork leg. Always delicious, and usually offered the the normal sauces/gravies etc. The next area was several types of hot fare. Some carbs, usually one potato offering and two rice type dishes. Then there would be cooked veggies in some incarnation, usually a light stir fry with minimal seasoning so it didn't fight with the main dishes. Then usually something like a battered fish, or a pork medallion perhaps. They always had things like hot dogs or sausage for folks who weren't inspired by the rest of the offerings. And at the end of the buffet, there was the fruit/cheese/bread/dried fruit and nuts station. OMG, such bounty and delicacy! A minimum of 5 types of cheese every day, and as I mentioned earlier, fresh bread. OOPS! I nearly forgot the pasta station! They always had a featured dish, but if you didn't like that, they'd make you whatever you wanted. And of course, as I mentioned earlier, you didn't serve yourself, they would do everything for you. A little of this madame? Perhaps a little of the grouper today? Does madame require more of the broccoli? Ahhhh! I could get used to that.

And finally, the dessert section. (Are the angels singing?) Always 2 or 3 freshly made ice creams. We saw: pistachio, strawberry, chocolate, coffee, maple walnut and black cherry. Some of those would be their zero zero selections. Zero sugar, zero carb I think? Dunno, I just know it was delish! There were always toppings offered as well, sprinkles, slivered nuts and both chocolate and caramel sauce. The ice cream dishes were lovely little silver bowls on pedestals. There were assorted cakes, and pastries if that caught your eye. Also a selection of loaf type things. Pound cake, lemon loaf and chocolate zucchini bread were a few that I saw there. I'll talk more about the dainties in the afternoon tea portion of things.

And that's just the buffet! The a la carte offerings were wonderful as well. Burgers were done to your specifications, pizza was always piping hot and topped as you wished. Salads were tossed fresh and never over dressed. (BIG pet peeve of mine!) Steak, or chicken breast if you prefer, and always a fresh fish of the day offering. The portions were just right as well. You got a normal sized portion, and if you needed more, you could have more without question. They were always asking if you wanted or needed more, but you weren't served a giant portion that you might waste. I appreciated that. It gave me the opportunity to taste a larger variety of things than I might have otherwise.

At lunch there was always a selected white wine. Some were OK, but one was outstanding. Unfortunately, I enjoyed it so much I fogged my brain and forgot the name of it dang it all! :rolleyes:

Tea time will be the next feature.

Oh my gosh Alix, how did you have any time to do anything but eat? It sounds just wonderful! Your pictures are great. I'm so glad you had such a fun trip.

Thanks for the great food reports Alix, and I'm so glad you had a good time.

I ziplined in Alaska over the tree tops, just so I could say that I did it. The truth is I was terrified as I've always been afraid of heights but it was on my bucket list to overcome fear. I was partly successful, although I'd never ever do it again although now I have the tee shirt to prove it, although the undies needed laundering.;)

Now for the most important question. Did the butler unpack your bags, and did he mention your pristine unvented and lovely dainties ? :ROFLMAO:

Now for the most important question. Did the butler unpack your bags, and did he mention your pristine unvented and lovely dainties ? :ROFLMAO:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I did not let him unpack for me! But I DID make a point of shopping for new and pretty lingerie to take with me, JIC! ;)

Back
Top Bottom