Home Cooking for Pets Is Suddenly Not So Odd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always thought it was ok to give dogs certain "people" foods. Of course one has to be careful because certain foods are toxic to dogs, and pets in general. Always ask your vet first. My vet has recommended rice, but I also feed my dog certain fruits and vegetables, along with his dry dog food (no canned stuff). NO grapes for dogs! Other than that, my dog loves carrotts, apples, watermelon, pineapple, strawberries, kiwi, and oranges. Sure he is a carnivour, but we dont feed him much of that, some occassional chicken or beef (cooked).

:) People food is good for dogs including rice even better brown rice but no onions,chocolate,grapes,raisins,macadamia nuts and so on.You can get good recipes on the net just do your homework.

When our dog has a stomach problem we cooked rice and chicken for him according to the vet. We will do it on occasion as a treat.

My dog loves apples and pears, and the vet gave me the ok for that years ago. She also likes carrots. Of course she loves any kind of meat, the smellier the better. Hubby is checking ingredients for dog food more carefully now. But, yes, I remember once upon a time being told to never feed a dog human food. The fact is, dogs were domesticated by that very process ... Mine is 16 years old! I didn't know NOT to feed her grapes until she'd eaten quite a few of them, to no detriment. But trust me, no chocolate (spent a day with a dog having seizures ... not fun). And believe me, she gets no grapes either.

Dogs are omnivores, it's cats that are carnivores.
No broccoli either, at least not in large amounts.

On the news this morning (did I mention, I hate the news)...anyway, they said NOT to prepare pet food at home because it's too complicated.

I was like "WTF are you talking about?!" They make it seem like rocket science or something. There are plenty of sites that provide great recipies for your pets.

Like Amber, my Springer Spaniel only gets dry food. About 3/4 to 1 cup twice a day. I'll give her table scraps or beef bones too, but not all the time.

pacanis said:
No broccoli either, at least not in large amounts.

That's good advice for dogs, and more than a few owners, too!!

We're still in good shape with our dog - she won't run out ofdog food for a while yet. If it's still an issue then, I'll have no problem making up something for her. I've made dog biscuits from the grains I've made beer with for her before - she loves them.

John

Reason?

Do you ever do something and knew it was for a reason? Last nite, I took some hamburger ground round out of the freezer and figured we would eat it today. Last night I saw my neighbor's dog for the first time and looked like he had some kind of stroke. Walking very slow w/his head down. I was sort of afraid to pet him. When he did walk over to me I petted his head and since he did recognize me I stayed a while. This bothers me because she leaves the dog out in the middle of winter, no doghouse only hay next to a stone garage and no water! As everyone in the house said he is not my dog! But who can ignore him? I treat the dogs like they are better than people to me. I came inside and wanted someone to call the neighbor and ask what was wrong? NO ONE WOULD! I finally called and asked what was wrong with the dog? She asked me why? I said he doesn't seem to lively and doesn't bark like he did at strangers. She then commented and said she noticed he wasn't acting right and took him to Humane Society and they said he was alright. I didin't believe her. Sorry but people can lie. She also said he didn't eat his food last night. I told her I would bring something over to him. I gave him the hamburger w/rice. When she gave it to him he couldn't stop eating. If the dog wouldn't eat don't you try to encourage him to eat somethig for strength? I told her if he ate it all I would give her more. Why can't she do it? She has a new puppy and evryone here said she has moved on and the old one will have to go. I must admit aren't people like that with their own family? Look at all the nursing homes. There are some people in there who shouldn't be. In fact, t his one lady over 100 years old and she was sharp as anybody on the street. She knew what was going on. She told me she was living too long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe that is what my neighbor thinks about the dog. Probably wanting attention and showing indifference. Well, I knew I could share my heartache with you. What would you have done? Just let him die? When someone doesn't eat, that is sure sign not normal. thanks for your time. Most of all your understanding.

Sorry so long, guess I don't know how to condense in few sentences.

While there's certainly nothing wrong with cooking for your pets, it's suddenly reached top-of-the-pile because of the recent pet-food scare. Which is SO typical. Lots of people running around bumping into each other before they know the whole story.

This does NOT mean that everyone on the planet needs to start cooking for their pets, & it DEFINITELY IS something that can't be entered into lightly. Tossing some veggies, chicken or beef, & rice together does NOT constitute a balanced diet - yet some folks seem to think it does.

Before you start cooking for your dogs & cats, you DEFINITELY need to consult with your veterinarian, purchase vitamin/mineral supplements, & know for a FACT what constitutes a balanced diet. You can't just go by what's posted on the internet or the books that are now flooding the market on "making your own pet food". Use some common sense.

I had to cook for one of my dogs for 2 years, & there is a LOT more to it than what a lot of people would have you believe. Just because your pet stays alive via your home-cooked diet doesn't automatically mean it's the best thing for it.

In fact, there was a bit on the news yesterday where several vets were interviewed & pointedly said that if people want to cook for their pets until this situation is resolved, that's fine. They also said, however, that if people plan this as a lifelong thing, they need to contact their vet & be prepared for a lot more than tossing some meat, veggies, & rice together.

I agree with Breezy. I barely have time to cook for 2 humans and if I had to add 2 dogs and 2 cats into the mix, I would go nuts.

I am going to try some organic canned chow. I heard the organic canned food does not contain any of the wheat glutton or plastic that is causing the problem. I feed my dogs dry chow but I add a spoonful of canned chow too.

My little schnauzer loves grapes, I limit her to one or two. She likes popcorn and pop cycles. My vet told me she was big boned not overweight.

later

:) In The Kitchen.I would continue taking care of this dog if the lady doesnt mind it will make you and the dog feel better.Poor thing if I was there I would hijack the creature and find it a new home.

Looks depressed

jpmcgrew said:
:) In The Kitchen.I would continue taking care of this dog if the lady doesnt mind it will make you and the dog feel better.Poor thing if I was there I would hijack the creature and find it a new home.

When I came home while ago, the dog was at the fence. I went over and petted him and he sure looks like he just doesn't care. They got the young dog few months ago and I feel he is depressed that they are paying attention to the new dog instead of him. This woman is type of person you don't suggest something to her because she has her own mind. Her sister told me that some time ago. Surprised me that the sister even commented about her sister. I sure do feel bad for the dog. Has not had easy life and to be so protec tive of the owners. But everyone here in family telling me people just don't feel the same way I do. You do! Thanks jpmcgrew I needed to hear someone agree with me. I am sitting here drinking some red wine hoping to ignore the way people treat their pets. Stupid!

:) Hate to burst your bubble but the wine will just make it worse.You could offer her money for the dog she might go for it.

I read the article and many of my friends cook their dogs meals and this started way before the dog and cat scare.

I feed Jolie a dry food and it is not listed on any recall sheets. She is just fine and healthy as ever.

Thanks for sharing the article.

jpmcgrew said:
:) Hate to burst your bubble but the wine will just make it worse.You could offer her money for the dog she might go for it.

I know you are right! But how would that work with her living right next door? The dog would want to be with her?

you are right about the wine. Only makes matters worse. Just showing I am having a stupid pity party. No one understands me.

You are a great humanitarian, true & kind. It was very kind of you to offer a meal to that dog and talking to it's owner. I don't know if you have pets. I will tell you that it is not a good idea to pet a dog that looks sick or disoriented. They might not recognize you and they may be afraid of anyone when they are not feeling well. You also have to take into consideration that you may be taking home a disease to your own pets.
It is better to contact an animal awareness group if you think neglect is severe. Pets are so loyal that they sometimes continue living to please and the vet will encourage the owner to get a new pet so the older one feels released.
Anyway, you did what was right for you given the moment. You were prompted by the Spirit to give and fulfilled that nicely.

We are just holding off buying products that contain wheat gluten until they figure out what the problem is. Believe me, much as I love her, cooking for my dog isn't in my future. But at her age, having spent two years babying her mother through kidney failure isn't something I wish on anyone (to include me). She loves her dried food, and we have enough from before the 'scare' to last her awhile. We've put some dog treats on the back burner for now.

Back
Top Bottom