"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Home Cooking for Pets Is Suddenly Not So Odd

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/02/business/02pets.html

Old 04-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex

I had a dear maiden aunt who cooked hamburg for her little dog every night. He had his own frying pan.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I've always thought it was ok to give dogs certain "people" foods. Of course one has to be careful because certain foods are toxic to dogs, and pets in general. Always ask your vet first. My vet has recommended rice, but I also feed my dog certain fruits and vegetables, along with his dry dog food (no canned stuff). NO grapes for dogs! Other than that, my dog loves carrotts, apples, watermelon, pineapple, strawberries, kiwi, and oranges. Sure he is a carnivour, but we dont feed him much of that, some occassional chicken or beef (cooked).
Old 04-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Executive Chef

People food is good for dogs including rice even better brown rice but no onions,chocolate,grapes,raisins,macadamia nuts and so on.You can get good recipes on the net just do your homework.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #5
Master Chef

When our dog has a stomach problem we cooked rice and chicken for him according to the vet. We will do it on occasion as a treat.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:29 AM   #6
Master Chef

My dog loves apples and pears, and the vet gave me the ok for that years ago. She also likes carrots. Of course she loves any kind of meat, the smellier the better. Hubby is checking ingredients for dog food more carefully now. But, yes, I remember once upon a time being told to never feed a dog human food. The fact is, dogs were domesticated by that very process ... Mine is 16 years old! I didn't know NOT to feed her grapes until she'd eaten quite a few of them, to no detriment. But trust me, no chocolate (spent a day with a dog having seizures ... not fun). And believe me, she gets no grapes either.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Dogs are omnivores, it's cats that are carnivores.
No broccoli either, at least not in large amounts.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #8
Executive Chef

On the news this morning (did I mention, I hate the news)...anyway, they said NOT to prepare pet food at home because it's too complicated.

I was like "WTF are you talking about?!" They make it seem like rocket science or something. There are plenty of sites that provide great recipies for your pets.

Like Amber, my Springer Spaniel only gets dry food. About 3/4 to 1 cup twice a day. I'll give her table scraps or beef bones too, but not all the time.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:27 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
No broccoli either, at least not in large amounts.
That's good advice for dogs, and more than a few owners, too!!

We're still in good shape with our dog - she won't run out ofdog food for a while yet. If it's still an issue then, I'll have no problem making up something for her. I've made dog biscuits from the grains I've made beer with for her before - she loves them.

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Reason?

Do you ever do something and knew it was for a reason? Last nite, I took some hamburger ground round out of the freezer and figured we would eat it today. Last night I saw my neighbor's dog for the first time and looked like he had some kind of stroke. Walking very slow w/his head down. I was sort of afraid to pet him. When he did walk over to me I petted his head and since he did recognize me I stayed a while. This bothers me because she leaves the dog out in the middle of winter, no doghouse only hay next to a stone garage and no water! As everyone in the house said he is not my dog! But who can ignore him? I treat the dogs like they are better than people to me. I came inside and wanted someone to call the neighbor and ask what was wrong? NO ONE WOULD! I finally called and asked what was wrong with the dog? She asked me why? I said he doesn't seem to lively and doesn't bark like he did at strangers. She then commented and said she noticed he wasn't acting right and took him to Humane Society and they said he was alright. I didin't believe her. Sorry but people can lie. She also said he didn't eat his food last night. I told her I would bring something over to him. I gave him the hamburger w/rice. When she gave it to him he couldn't stop eating. If the dog wouldn't eat don't you try to encourage him to eat somethig for strength? I told her if he ate it all I would give her more. Why can't she do it? She has a new puppy and evryone here said she has moved on and the old one will have to go. I must admit aren't people like that with their own family? Look at all the nursing homes. There are some people in there who shouldn't be. In fact, t his one lady over 100 years old and she was sharp as anybody on the street. She knew what was going on. She told me she was living too long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe that is what my neighbor thinks about the dog. Probably wanting attention and showing indifference. Well, I knew I could share my heartache with you. What would you have done? Just let him die? When someone doesn't eat, that is sure sign not normal. thanks for your time. Most of all your understanding.

Sorry so long, guess I don't know how to condense in few sentences.