"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #21
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Thank you, Steve.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #22
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 28
A couple drops of molasses 2-3 times a day on a canker sore helps it to heal quickly. First drop really burns but after that it doesn't hurt at all. I had one that lasted almost a month, prescription didn't help, 2 days of molasses and it was gone. Works every time.

When you have the stomach flu it helps to drink jello while it is warm. It coats your stomach to help relieve the nausea and gives you a little energy from the sugar. Plus when you are sick it feels good to drink something warm.
__________________

__________________
shells4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Wow, Aunt Bea!

It sounds like a nightly tea of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger in a Peppermint tea wound be a great daily nightcap would be perfect for me. I'll try that tonight, I've got all the ingredients on hand. Thanks for the idea! XOX
I made this tea for my bedtime cordial, and the only thing it needed was a tablespoon of honey which is also a great antibiotic. YUM!

Nighty night. Mmmmm - ZzZzzzz.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #24
Sous Chef
 
Rocket_J_Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm about to go steep some chamomile tea bags for my night time brew before bed. My left ear is feeling stuffy so I will let the tea bags chill a bit and put over my ear to help it drain. Have not had an ear infection since I started doing this, I was used to having them at least two or three times a year.
I get the same thing but with my right ear. Do you let the tea bag get cold?
__________________
Rocket_J_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Whenever anyone in the family get a bee/hornet sting, I make a moist paste of MSG and apply. Stops the pain and makes it easier to remove the stinger.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #26
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Whenever anyone in the family get a bee/hornet sting, I make a moist paste of MSG and apply. Stops the pain and makes it easier to remove the stinger.
In Girl Guides we were taught "Vinegar for wasps; Bicarbonate for bees" ie cures for stings

My other go to thing when I have a mouth ulcer is honey. It removes any nasty gunk from the ulcer, and my dad used to swear by it as a topical treatment for his psoriasis flare ups.
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
In Girl Guides we were taught "Vinegar for wasps; Bicarbonate for bees" ie cures for stings

My other go to thing when I have a mouth ulcer is honey. It removes any nasty gunk from the ulcer, and my dad used to swear by it as a topical treatment for his psoriasis flare ups.
I used to get the Psoriasis Letter and in it folks would list some of the things they used. The most popular one that I remember was apple cider vinegar. I prefer the ointment that I am presently using. It cost $503 a tube. So glad I don't have to pay for it. I use about two tubes a month.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #28
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
My parents always put meat tenderizer disolved into hot warm water on our stings. The logic was that meat tenderisers break down protiens and bee/hornet/wasp venom is a protien. Don't remember how well it workes.

Honey is supposed to have all sorts of anti-bacterial properties. I wish I could find the article I read about it being useful in treating MRSA. All I can find at the moment are a bunch of "articles" that are basically adds. The one I read talked about honey being a super-saturated solution so it tends to draw water out of cells. It dehydrates some types of bacteria. There is also an enzyme in it that might kill bacteria.

When our cat had problems with fleas both he and I had not so fun reactions to all the treatmemts. We found a bunch of people recommended rosemerry tea as a treatment. We checked animal poison control and rosemary wasn't listed as harmful to cats so we tried it. It worked really well and no nasty reactions!
__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #29
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
I get the same thing but with my right ear. Do you let the tea bag get cold?
No, just cool enough it doesn't burn me, you want it to be hot. Cold one's I put on my eyes...actually I use any cold/cool ones (anything but mint, it stings) on my eyes.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #30
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
My parents always put meat tenderizer disolved into hot warm water on our stings. The logic was that meat tenderisers break down protiens and bee/hornet/wasp venom is a protien. Don't remember how well it workes.

Honey is supposed to have all sorts of anti-bacterial properties. I wish I could find the article I read about it being useful in treating MRSA. All I can find at the moment are a bunch of "articles" that are basically adds. The one I read talked about honey being a super-saturated solution so it tends to draw water out of cells. It dehydrates some types of bacteria. There is also an enzyme in it that might kill bacteria.

When our cat had problems with fleas both he and I had not so fun reactions to all the treatmemts. We found a bunch of people recommended rosemerry tea as a treatment. We checked animal poison control and rosemary wasn't listed as harmful to cats so we tried it. It worked really well and no nasty reactions!
Honey is used medically as a wound healer, for the reasons you list. I for one have never seen mold on honey or in plain sugar/sugar solution. It's only when other things get added that you can get mold.

Google Medihoney...that is the brand name. It's cheaper to buy local honey and use it.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.