"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #41
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
[QUOTE=MrsLMB;1309279]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
These days, for the most part, they come from home or the hospital with bedsores. QUOTE]

We moved to Ohio from Oregon to be near my DH parents. When we got here his Dad was not well. He had Alzheimers. The family was trying to care for him at home but it was not working. He spent the majority of his time in bed. I will never forget how horrible his hips were. Both sides - huge and deep bedsores.

I was outraged as the family just brushed it off saying he did it to himself.

DH and I got him to his Dr within 3 days of arriving here and the Dr immediately put him in a nursing home so he could get some proper care.

The bedsores eventually healed and for the last few months of his life he was actually enjoying being alive.

To this day I am still angry at those people for not taking care of their own flesh and blood. My DH - for a long time - blamed himself for his Dad not getting care. We were on the west coast - they were here in the same house with him .. the reason they didn't take him to the dr - they didn't want to spend his money You know what that means .. they are all a bunch of greedy creeps (that was a nice word and not the word I wanted to use).

So of course they became enraged with me because I took the lead and got him to a Dr.

The end result is that none of the family will talk to DH or me because we "stole" part of their inheritance ... they are sad sad pathetic people.
That is sad, Mrs. LMB, sorry he had to go through that. It's like not taking a kid to the ER because he fell off his bike and broke his arm. I find that the kids who treat nurses and homes the worst are those that neglected their parents in the first place.

I am so glad that I work for a company who values the elderly and we take great pains in providing the best experiences for them. I've seen and heard the horrors that happen in other nursing homes and it's horrible. As I see it, I work in their home. I've worked by myself because I would not let certain nurse's aides work my unit, they simply do not care. I have also taken up the slack when a nurse who worked my days off was neglectful, I worked 6 days a week, until a replacement could be found, so as not to expose my patients to her lack of care. The Director of Nurses said she knew this was a bad nurse, but "who would cover the shift"...I found that appalling.

Back to home remedies: It has come back around that 3% hydrogen peroxide is okay to use on wounds (it was out of favor for a while there) make a solution with half peroxide and half cooled, boiled water. Use sparingly only on the wound, try not to get too much on the surrounding skin. Dab with clean gauze and then rinse with straight boiled water. This should be done twice a day to help remove any drainage.

Alternatively: a capful of bleach to 1 gallon of cooled, boiled water. Use the same way as the peroxide, but you don't have to rinse the bleach solution off. This is preferred over ointments because these cleansing techniques kill bacteria, clean off drainage and allow the wound to get air which is needed for quick healing.

Dressing for over the wound, gauze wet with cooled, boiled water, wring out well and place over the wound only, try to keep it off the surrounding skin, cover with dry gauze and tape in place. The wet gauze will keep the wound moist and draw off the drainage, the dry protects it.

At least I used the bleach trick with Shrek's wound after his surgery and he healed up fast...surprised those at the wound clinic.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Pf, when you leave a large wound open to the air, doesn't it have to be debride? When I had the open wound on my leg, it was debrided so many times that I got so I could do it myself and not have to go to the doctor's office to have it done. A pair of sterile suture scissors and I was in business. I was thinking of opening my own office.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #43
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
I swear by garlic (raw) for strep throat. Yes you heard me. It burns like heck when it hits the infection but kills those germs ASAP. Wash it down with wine (antiseptic) and you are good to go.

I'm a big peppermint/ginger fan for upset tummies.

I recently tried a nutmeg trick that we learned in St Lucia. When you have a headache dampen a cloth with cool water, then grate some fresh nutmeg on to it and place on your forehead. It WORKS! They swear that nutmeg is also good for an angina attack but I've not tried that.

I've done the honey on the wound thing too. I read a book once where they smeared a piece of paper with honey and slapped it on a chest wound and they got the guy to hospital. Weird.

OMG and tea tree oil (topically) for a LOT of stuff. Anything fungal (candida) will be killed by tea tree. I also put some in my shampoo when there has been a lice run in our workplace. Blech!
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #44
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Pf, when you leave a large wound open to the air, doesn't it have to be debride? When I had the open wound on my leg, it was debrided so many times that I got so I could do it myself and not have to go to the doctor's office to have it done. A pair of sterile suture scissors and I was in business. I was thinking of opening my own office.
The trick is to NOT let it dry out, if it gets dried out it has to be debrided with scalpel and scissors. The way I describe, it is gently debrided twice a day allowing it to breathe but stay moist so you don't build up a scab. Never leave it completely open to air, you just don't want to seal it, that breeds bacteria faster. Next skin tear, try it out...not that I am hoping you get a skin tear to prove my point...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The trick is to NOT let it dry out, if it gets dried out it has to be debrided with scalpel and scissors. The way I describe, it is gently debrided twice a day allowing it to breathe but stay moist so you don't build up a scab. Never leave it completely open to air, you just don't want to seal it, that breeds bacteria faster. Next skin tear, try it out...not that I am hoping you get a skin tear to prove my point...
Aha! My problem was that I was changing my own dressing. I was in so much pain, that it took me forever to get the clean dressing on it. So it was exposed to the air for a while until I could get it covered up again. Then next time I would change it, sure enough there would be black tissue around the edges. Once they opened up the artery to my leg and put a stent in, it started healing immediately. You could see the difference the next day. I had absolutely no blood flow to my leg.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #46
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I swear by garlic (raw) for strep throat. Yes you heard me. It burns like heck when it hits the infection but kills those germs ASAP. Wash it down with wine (antiseptic) and you are good to go.

I'm a big peppermint/ginger fan for upset tummies.

I recently tried a nutmeg trick that we learned in St Lucia. When you have a headache dampen a cloth with cool water, then grate some fresh nutmeg on to it and place on your forehead. It WORKS! They swear that nutmeg is also good for an angina attack but I've not tried that.

I've done the honey on the wound thing too. I read a book once where they smeared a piece of paper with honey and slapped it on a chest wound and they got the guy to hospital. Weird.

OMG and tea tree oil (topically) for a LOT of stuff. Anything fungal (candida) will be killed by tea tree. I also put some in my shampoo when there has been a lice run in our workplace. Blech!
Yes, Tea Tree Oil, I use that as a soak when my toes get itchy. Works wonders. The podiatrist gave me a Tea Tree spray that evaporates quickly to spray on my toes, he about came unglued when he found out I was soaking my feet...something a diabetic is not supposed to do.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I swear by garlic (raw) for strep throat. Yes you heard me. It burns like heck when it hits the infection but kills those germs ASAP. Wash it down with wine (antiseptic) and you are good to go.

I'm a big peppermint/ginger fan for upset tummies.

I recently tried a nutmeg trick that we learned in St Lucia. When you have a headache dampen a cloth with cool water, then grate some fresh nutmeg on to it and place on your forehead. It WORKS! They swear that nutmeg is also good for an angina attack but I've not tried that.

I've done the honey on the wound thing too. I read a book once where they smeared a piece of paper with honey and slapped it on a chest wound and they got the guy to hospital. Weird.


OMG and tea tree oil (topically) for a LOT of stuff. Anything fungal (candida) will be killed by tea tree. I also put some in my shampoo when there has been a lice run in our workplace. Blech!
Garlic is also great for cleaning out worms in kids. There was an epidemic of that going around the school. Sure enough my daughter came home with them. The old Italian nonni told me about the garlic. Gone by nightfall. Of course my daughter stunk of garlic for a couple of days and refused to go to school.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes, Tea Tree Oil, I use that as a soak when my toes get itchy. Works wonders. The podiatrist gave me a Tea Tree spray that evaporates quickly to spray on my toes, he about came unglued when he found out I was soaking my feet...something a diabetic is not supposed to do.
I didn't know that either. Is there a reason why not? I never soak mine. It is too difficult for me to bend over and pick up the tub. I pass out every time I bend over for even a short length of time.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #49
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Aha! My problem was that I was changing my own dressing. I was in so much pain, that it took me forever to get the clean dressing on it. So it was exposed to the air for a while until I could get it covered up again. Then next time I would change it, sure enough there would be black tissue around the edges. Once they opened up the artery to my leg and put a stent in, it started healing immediately. You could see the difference the next day. I had absolutely no blood flow to my leg.
Ii is amazing how fast you can heal with good blood flow

One of my frequent teaching lessons is, if there is blood on a dressing, that is a good sign. It means there is healing going on and good tissue growth.

Obviously I am not talking about blood that is soaking through a dressing in minutes, that is an ER problem. But red blood is better than green goo...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #50
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I didn't know that either. Is there a reason why not? I never soak mine. It is too difficult for me to bend over and pick up the tub. I pass out every time I bend over for even a short length of time.
Many diabetics have neuropathy and cannot feel pain in their feet, that means they can burn their feet if the water is too hot and never know it until an ulcer starts. The other reason is, soaking can allow feet to crack, another source of infection if a diabetic cannot check their own feet daily. You are also not supposed to lotion between your toes. I use alcohol wipes to make sure they are dry before putting on my shoes and socks., Gold Bond powder in my shoes. Aside from the one funky toenail that went bye-bye, the podiatrist was amazed at what good shape my feet were in for someone who has been standing all her life.

I've always taken good care of my feet...shoes that fit, no high heels and arch support.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.