"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Many diabetics have neuropathy and cannot feel pain in their feet, that means they can burn their feet if the water is too hot and never know it until an ulcer starts. The other reason is, soaking can allow feet to crack, another source of infection if a diabetic cannot check their own feet daily. You are also not supposed to lotion between your toes. I use alcohol wipes to make sure they are dry before putting on my shoes and socks., Gold Bond powder in my shoes. Aside from the one funky toenail that went bye-bye, the podiatrist was amazed at what good shape my feet were in for someone who has been standing all her life.

I've always taken good care of my feet...shoes that fit, no high heels and arch support.
My feet are in very good shape for a diabetic. But I still make regular visits to the podiatrists office. He may see something I missed. I forgot about the neuropathy. So far I haven't come down with that. How I have missed out on it, I have no idea. Heavens knows I have everything else wrong with me.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #52
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My feet are in very good shape for a diabetic. But I still make regular visits to the podiatrists office. He may see something I missed. I forgot about the neuropathy. So far I haven't come down with that. How I have missed out on it, I have no idea. Heavens knows I have everything else wrong with me.
I don't have it and I don't want it. Dad is very particular about what he eats when others are watching, but he pigs out on foods he shouldn't when he thinks no one sees. How do I know this??? Because his HbA1C is always off, he's sneaking potato chips!!! Now he has neuropathy, for an intelligent man he can sure be a dunce at times. I'm surprised Shrek isn't developing neuropathy, but the podiatrist said he was doing good. Waiting is...

Old 10-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Yes, Tea Tree Oil, I use that as a soak when my toes get itchy. Works wonders. The podiatrist gave me a Tea Tree spray that evaporates quickly to spray on my toes, he about came unglued when he found out I was soaking my feet...something a diabetic is not supposed to do.
What's wrong with a diabetic soaking feet?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #54
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I answered that one to Addie above. Has to do with the loss of feeling in your feet.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #55
Master Chef

The biggest adjustment for me since becoming a diabetic is wearing shoes around the house, I hate it!

Grow old along with me!, The best is yet to be...

What a crock, Mr. Browning, what a crock!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #56
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
The biggest adjustment for me since becoming a diabetic is wearing shoes around the house, I hate it!

Grow old along with me!, The best is yet to be...

What a crock, Mr. Browning, what a crock!
I still don't wear shoes around the house, only if I plan running outside. Trying to get Shrek to wear them is a big enough chore, but then he is always stepping on something, stubbing his toes. For a nurse, it's odd but feet are ick to me...I don't know why
Old 10-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
See post #50. Excellent response.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I still don't wear shoes around the house, only if I plan running outside. Trying to get Shrek to wear them is a big enough chore, but then he is always stepping on something, stubbing his toes. For a nurse, it's odd but feet are ick to me...I don't know why
Neither do I. Nice fuzzy warm slippers for me. Sometimes 'they' don't always know everything. Medicine is often a guessing game. That is why they call it a "practice."

If I don't know, I ask. And then I will mull it over. If it makes sense to me, I will listen and follow. If not I will take parts of the info I have been given and agree with, and figure out the rest on my own. I often go with my own common sense and knowledge. I walk just fine in slippers.