Home repairs/improvements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok quick Q.
meaning of DH and DW? I know its the spouse but what does it stand for?
ok quick A
It's my understanding that the "D" stands for "Dear" or "Darling" or "Dumba**" :ermm: while the "H" stands for "Husband" and the "W" stands for "Wife".

That said, I do what I can. But, if I'm not sure, I'll pay a licensed contractor so I have somebody to call to fix if it isn't done right.

My favorite toys while growing up were Lincoln Logs, Rector sets, and Legos.
That I'm sure helped me be the handyman that I am today.
I pretty much do most everything around the house, plumbing, electrical, flooring, to deck-building.

I am in the middle of a never ending renovation project... basically my house was a dog... problem after problem underneath the surface...135yrs of neglect and shoddy construction.... If I were on This Old House they would have just told me to tear it down.

I try to do as much as I can myself but time and ability limit this and I am not very skilled. Basically I do anything that is grunt work that I don't need to pay a skilled person for... demo, minor drywall jobs, flooring (look at my lovely floors in the pet thread.. I did those!, painting etc.... for any real carpentry/masonry I have a contractor... same with electrical and plumbing I will wire an outlet or install a faucet but not mess with the box or start running new risers from the basement.

frankly my house has gotten the better of me... At first it was fun to have a project but I get tired of it... I do not want to go home from work and tape and spackle! I have been on break and just started up again.... if I had the dough I would just hire someone to get it done.

When Buck was around, he did just about everything but didn't care to do plumbing. He did it anyway, though. Fortunately I'm very handy and can build/fix just about anything, which is good now that I'm alone.

I don't do heights, so anything more than 4 feet off the ground will have to be done by someone else. I even have a hard time replacing a light bulb in the ceiling fans.

My wintertime project is to build an 8 1/2-foot wide wall unit in the family room. It will probably take me all winter, but I need the storage space and something to occupy my time here after being at the shop during the day. The limitation with this project is going to be how heavy some pieces will be.

I can do some light eletrical, light plumbing, framing and a little finish work. Next month's my winter project will be to build a storage area in a spare room with cubby holes for storage and a work bench on the end to organize my tools.

At one time or another I have done just about everything except HVAC. I have learned what I what I can and can't do. Roofing is a pain, working with 220 or installing electrical panels, these things are best left to the pros, they have the skills to get the job done quickly while I have to relearn the job skills. As you get older, you get wiser I guess.

Back
Top Bottom