Home repairs/improvements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adillo303

Head Chef
Kind of, sort of a poll.

If there is work to be done around the house do you do it, or hire it done?

If you do it, where is your upper limit? Carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, whatever. In short what would you not do?

If you do some / all of your own work, does your SO / Ddh / DW, etc work with you?

Just curious - Around our house we have so far done it all, Demo, framing electrical, plumbing, rocking painting and tilei work. I / we would feel comfortable framing and finishing a house if time and money permitted. We would probably hire excavation and mason work and HVAC. We are not planning to build, but, I have helped build a house.

Just curious.

AC

Paul does most of ours... I stand around and pretend to help.
We do have our yard work and gutters cleaned though...we both hate doing those things.

I handle all the home maintenance and repairs save for the very big jobs. And, I fear electricity-its invisable and it bites!!:LOL:

I always "hire the wire"

When I was a first-time homeowner, I did everything from replacing the the roof to putting in a parquet floor, painting inside and out, wallpapering, plumbing, electricity and rebuilding a bathroom.

These days, I do a lot less.

When we were renting out my husbands condo before the wedding, we prepped it ourselves. Paint, tile, crown molding. All of the asthetics. In the new house we needed to add a dishwasher too, and my husband took care of that himself. He taught himself to do the crown molding, ceiling work, and tiling through videos and books. Everything came out great too. He's a natural!

I do as much as I can myself... for the big things we hire out, like roofing and stuff like that. Most other home repairs I found I can do myself.

I can do everything, even if it means a little reading up on the subject or asking someone in the profession, but I know when it comes to getting a new roof on the house, I will hire out. Too steep and too much labor involved without "the" tools. Plus I've never roofed where you had to use roof jacks, scaffolding or whatever they're called, so haven't a clue.
My former trade is HVAC, so I can handle layout work and construction type stuff, plus have seen most of the trades done by others. Lately I love running new circuits and have rewired a lot in my business that was not wired properly to begin with. And ran a circuit out to my shed and other stuff. I can handle about anything, I just need to get into my working mode. Then I attack it til it's done. And I do it all by myself, I just need lots of jigs and deadmans to make up for the extra hands.

This was the first thing out of wood that I built, other than a birdhouse in seventh grade. I drew up some sketches to gather my plan of attack and had at it. I think all anyone needs to do is think things out. Errr, unless you cut yourself everytime you pick up a kitchen knife :LOL:

Attachments

• shed.JPG
    shed.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 172
Between DH and his stepdad, no paid workers are allowed in our home.
:)

DH has been in construction from the age of 17, so, if it can be done, he can do it and does. The only thing that he does not do, is the bigger electrical stuff. He will wire stuff and change out lights and plugs and stuff, but, as for going for breaker box and bigger stuff like that, we hire an electrician. When we moved here, we tore up the floors, sheetrocked, etc.... and I was in all of it. I helped rip up the floors, tear out walls, put new sheetrock and tape and bed. We do okay now together, use to, I would walk away in the first 5 minutes, hehe

I have learned, over the last year and a half, to hire someone, pay them, then they go away lol! Too many times has a "friend" offered help, then they expect more than offered in return. Or hang it over my head, or guilt trip me... yeah I have a chip on my shoulder. So, I vote pay a stranger, then they go away until you call again, lol!!!

While I can do the work, there are some things that I would hire. I once took a weeks vacation and roofed my house. Since I am now self employed, I do not have the vacation comming, especially now.

DW, before she was DW gutted my bathroom one morning out to the studs and announced that we were remodeling. We did sheet rock, plumbing, electric and tile, including new tub, sink / vanity and potty. The house is settled in one corner and we took up the kitched floor and made pie shaped shims for the top of the floor joists to level the floor and them put down a new floor and tiled.

This wswwekend, we are painting and that is what made me think of the thread.

AC

Nice shed Pacanis.

well .. i am a carpenter who does remodeling ..
so i do it all myself .. and what i cant do .. i call in favors ..

I don't do plumbing, but most other maintenance and home repair I do myself.
Imagine my surprise and pleasure when I discovered my WIFE does plumbing, painting,
carpentry and even electrical basics too!

HOneeyyyyyyyy.... can you fix this, pleeeeeeezzzzeee???

hahahahhahah haha haha

I'm the owner/operator of a Professional Handyman business. The challenge is finding time (and desire) to do home projects when the paying customers are standing in line waiting for me. DW understands, but still continues to "remind me" of the projects every so often. I'd much rather be baking or cooking when I get home, instead of doing more "work."

my DH is a master electrician as a result I should probably hire a electrician we have all these unfinished jobs he travels about 4 hours each day and is so tired of electrical work. we can do everything ourselves just hate doing dry wall and plumbing. my daughter and I are going to gut the bathroom remove the tub pour a mud pan and lay tile next year we are a great team.

Last edited:
I work for an electrician so if anything electrical needs to be done I get these guys to do it for my I do not let my dh do that. But these guys I work with are my uncle's. So its always free. My dh can handle just about everything else. His best friend is an ac tech so thats always good to.

I/we do everything but the HVAC.

The DW is good at painting and the demo.

If I were to add-on to a house, I would have someone come in and do evreything but the trim and paint. Plus, I think there are some town ordanances about using certified electricians or plumbers in certain circumstances.

ok quick Q.
meaning of DH and DW? I know its the spouse but what does it stand for?

anyway,

Due to cash limitations and me being me i hate calling people when i know I can do it myself. Ive never done anything like major major but im in the process of doing a kitchen in a new apt at my sisters house,

Ill try anything and usually get it right. I do like others and do alot of research and look around before i attempt it.

If i dont have the tools or if its a roof ill call someone. I dont do heights. in the spring im calling someone for our gutters. clogged and its really high and steep.

I do it all, Masculine and Femine duties. as the wife says

Back
Top Bottom