Home Sales Parties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
This came up in another forum, so I got to thinking. Have you ever been to or hosted a home sales party? For instance, Tupperware, Pampered Chef, Home Interiors, etc. Did you have any interesting experiences? Tell us about it!

I have been to quite a few Tupperware parties (I even sold it for 11 months). I enjoy them a lot. I also enjoyed the Home Interior parties I went to several years ago. I can't remember the name of the one company (not Sarah Coventry), but I hosted a jewelry party years ago and got a great necklace as a gift. My favorite home sales party was Christmas Around the World. It was part of Home Interiors and the parties were only held for a month or two before Christmas. They had a wide range of prices, so even someone who didn't have much money, like me, could buy some cute stuff. I looked them up, but I don't think Christmas Around the World exists anymore. :(

The first time I ever heard of a home sales party was around 1966 when my mom and dad went to a Stanley Home Party. They also went to a pan party my aunt and uncle had in the '70s. I think my dad enjoyed himself well enough, but he made my mom promise she would never host one in their house, and she never did.

I think most home sales parties are a lot of fun. They often have silly games, and often a meal or appetizers are served as part of the presentation (if what is being sold involves food preparation or storage). The ones with high-pressure sales people are not as much fun. But they aren't all like that, thank goodness!

Tell us about your experiences!

:)Barbara

Was it Fifth Avenue jewelry Barbara?

I've done jillions of these too. I started with Discovery Toys, and Kids Only Clothes, and moved on to Tupperware, and then to Princess House stuff. I have never hosted a Pampered Chef or other housewares party as I think that might be very dangerous for me! I've been to lots though. And to Epicure Selections, and Party Lite...etc etc.

I am dating myself here, but my favorite party used to be Avon parties. I'd go with my Mom to one of those and get to bring home a scad of those sample lipsticks and the little perfume vials. HEAVEN!

I've been invited to quite a few over the years, but I don't usually accept the invitation because have always operated on a very tight budget. I don't feel comfortable attending a party and not purchasing anything. I usually ask to look at the catalogue prior to the party just to be gracious.

Fifth Avenue sounds familiar, but I don't think that is it. Could be though. :) I forgot about Princess House! I had a Princess House party when I was around 21. I got some really pretty hurricane lamps, a huge brandy snifter (not sure why, but I know it wasn't for brandy!) and the free gift I was going for, which was an ice bucket. I never used it for ice, but I did serve mashed potatoes in it on Thanksgiving! LOL--Mashed potatoes out of a crystal ice bucket. My crystal has all been sitting in my dad's shed in California the last 11 years since I moved here, along with over 300 books and who knows what else! Someday I may be reunited with my stuff, but I haven't died without it yet. LOL

:) Barbara

I love Princess House stuff, but I operate on a pretty tight budget too, so I really was happy to get the stuff I did. I got the teapot as my hostess gift and I'm a happy girl!

When I was younger I used to find attending/having home parties was a fun way to get together with friends. Now I find that I decline any invites. I love to get together with friends but don't like to purchase something that I really don't need or want. Most of the evening is spent watching a sales person demonstrate their product. Most stuff sold seems expensive for what it is. Although I did go to a Southern Living Party last year. The stuff was nice but again costly and I really didn't need what I bought.

Fifth Avenue sounds familiar, but I don't think that is it. Could be though. :) I forgot about Princess House! I had a Princess House party when I was around 21. I got some really pretty hurricane lamps, a huge brandy snifter (not sure why, but I know it wasn't for brandy!) and the free gift I was going for, which was an ice bucket. I never used it for ice, but I did serve mashed potatoes in it on Thanksgiving! LOL--Mashed potatoes out of a crystal ice bucket. My crystal has all been sitting in my dad's shed in California the last 11 years since I moved here, along with over 300 books and who knows what else! Someday I may be reunited with my stuff, but I haven't died without it yet. LOL

It might have been Sarah Coventry Jewelry. Also, anybody been to the old Home Interiors parties?

Years ago, a few years after we bought our house in this neighborhood, it seemed that several neighbors (unintentionally) took turns having Pampered Chef parties. I had one that was very successful - I ended up with about $150 worth of free stuff. I had one a year for three years or so and attended probably five or six more in that time. I usually had mine in September or October so people would be in the mood for buying holiday gifts. Then I decided there was really nothing else I needed for the kitchen, at least nothing that seemed affordable. It was a lot of fun while it lasted, though :)

Now that I'm back on the board of the local League of Women Voters, I'm thinking about having one of these: http://www.moonrisejewelry.com/shop/fundraising-information-6.html

So many people are trying to help me remember what jewelry party I had that I did a search. Wow, are there a lot of home jewelry parties out there! None of them look familiar, but it doesn't really matter. All that matters is that I have a really pretty necklace and some fake gold earrings (that look like real gold and are just as shiny today as they did years ago). :cool: Thanks for trying to help me remember!

I've been to all the ones you mentioned and my favorite of course were the cookware parties. BTW, does Tupperware have a lifetime warranty? I have some items that need replacement. Any consultants you can get me in touch with to get these replaced? Thanks my friend.

Dina,

Unless they have changed their policy they do have a lifetime warranty. It doesn't cover certain things. For instance if you warp a non-microwave safe dish in the microwave, melt something on the stove (I have a couple seals that got messed up by touching something hot--stupid me!), or if it says not to wash in the dishwasher and it gets warped there. But it does cover a lot. Try Tupperware - the official World Web Site for Tupperware Products. You should be able to find a local representative there.

:)I dont like any of them I once went to a Longaberry{sp?} party and bought a metal pie stand that held 2 ceramic pie plates for like $105.00 what a rip off I felt so stupid when I saw pretty much the same thing every where for less than $20.00 I didn't even really want it but felt obligated.I will never do that again.You are paying for a name and thats it, I eventually gave the the stupid thing to a friend.

Thanks Barb. Checked into it already and they won't replace since they are warped from heat. No worries.

Yeah, one really needs to be on guard at those things JP! I have learned not to feel obligated to buy anything, and I don't if I don't want something. I have always been friends with the people who invited me to parties, and if I don't buy, they understand. If I am not interested in the product at all, I don't go to the party (An exception to this would be if my daughter or my best friend was having one and just wanted me there for the party). I also let the hostess know beforehand if I feel I might not be able to buy anything, and they have always been understanding. None of my friends have ever tried to pressure anyone at a party to buy just so she (the hostess) could get more free stuff. I know there are some people who do that though. I think these are the same kind of people who invite the friend of a friend's niece's cousin's aunt to their weddings just to get more gifts! And we certainly don't need to feel obligated to buy to help that kind of person! So, bottom line: If the hostess is a friend, she will understand. If the hostess doesn't understand, she might not be such a good friend!

Last edited:
The most interesting one I've been to was a pearl party. The sales person had a bucket of oysters and you picked out one and she opened it and told you what size pearl and how much it was worth. Everyone got to have an oyster opened. You had to pay extra if you wanted 2 or if you got a large one and wanted more you could trade it in and get 2. You either paid for the pearl at market value or paid for a setting. If you paid for the pearl, you take it home in a baggie. If you buy a setting, the sales person takes it and your jewlery is shipped to the hostess. It was kind of fun and definitely unusual. I got a fairly large pearl and had it set in a necklace.

I forgot about that one jabbur! My mom went to a pearl party in San Diego. James doesn't understand why anyone likes pearls (he likes gems) but I love them and think a pearl party would be fun!

I enjoyed it because it was so different from other jewlery parties and way different from Tupperware and Pampered Chef type things.

Back
Top Bottom