"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-09-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Home Sales Parties

This came up in another forum, so I got to thinking. Have you ever been to or hosted a home sales party? For instance, Tupperware, Pampered Chef, Home Interiors, etc. Did you have any interesting experiences? Tell us about it!

I have been to quite a few Tupperware parties (I even sold it for 11 months). I enjoy them a lot. I also enjoyed the Home Interior parties I went to several years ago. I can't remember the name of the one company (not Sarah Coventry), but I hosted a jewelry party years ago and got a great necklace as a gift. My favorite home sales party was Christmas Around the World. It was part of Home Interiors and the parties were only held for a month or two before Christmas. They had a wide range of prices, so even someone who didn't have much money, like me, could buy some cute stuff. I looked them up, but I don't think Christmas Around the World exists anymore.

The first time I ever heard of a home sales party was around 1966 when my mom and dad went to a Stanley Home Party. They also went to a pan party my aunt and uncle had in the '70s. I think my dad enjoyed himself well enough, but he made my mom promise she would never host one in their house, and she never did.

I think most home sales parties are a lot of fun. They often have silly games, and often a meal or appetizers are served as part of the presentation (if what is being sold involves food preparation or storage). The ones with high-pressure sales people are not as much fun. But they aren't all like that, thank goodness!

Tell us about your experiences!

Barbara

Old 10-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
Everymom

Was it Fifth Avenue jewelry Barbara?

I've done jillions of these too. I started with Discovery Toys, and Kids Only Clothes, and moved on to Tupperware, and then to Princess House stuff. I have never hosted a Pampered Chef or other housewares party as I think that might be very dangerous for me! I've been to lots though. And to Epicure Selections, and Party Lite...etc etc.

I am dating myself here, but my favorite party used to be Avon parties. I'd go with my Mom to one of those and get to bring home a scad of those sample lipsticks and the little perfume vials. HEAVEN!

Old 10-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've been invited to quite a few over the years, but I don't usually accept the invitation because have always operated on a very tight budget. I don't feel comfortable attending a party and not purchasing anything. I usually ask to look at the catalogue prior to the party just to be gracious.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Fifth Avenue sounds familiar, but I don't think that is it. Could be though. I forgot about Princess House! I had a Princess House party when I was around 21. I got some really pretty hurricane lamps, a huge brandy snifter (not sure why, but I know it wasn't for brandy!) and the free gift I was going for, which was an ice bucket. I never used it for ice, but I did serve mashed potatoes in it on Thanksgiving! LOL--Mashed potatoes out of a crystal ice bucket. My crystal has all been sitting in my dad's shed in California the last 11 years since I moved here, along with over 300 books and who knows what else! Someday I may be reunited with my stuff, but I haven't died without it yet. LOL

Barbara
Old 10-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
Everymom

I love Princess House stuff, but I operate on a pretty tight budget too, so I really was happy to get the stuff I did. I got the teapot as my hostess gift and I'm a happy girl!
Old 10-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
Head Chef

When I was younger I used to find attending/having home parties was a fun way to get together with friends. Now I find that I decline any invites. I love to get together with friends but don't like to purchase something that I really don't need or want. Most of the evening is spent watching a sales person demonstrate their product. Most stuff sold seems expensive for what it is. Although I did go to a Southern Living Party last year. The stuff was nice but again costly and I really didn't need what I bought.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Fifth Avenue sounds familiar, but I don't think that is it. Could be though. I forgot about Princess House! I had a Princess House party when I was around 21. I got some really pretty hurricane lamps, a huge brandy snifter (not sure why, but I know it wasn't for brandy!) and the free gift I was going for, which was an ice bucket. I never used it for ice, but I did serve mashed potatoes in it on Thanksgiving! LOL--Mashed potatoes out of a crystal ice bucket. My crystal has all been sitting in my dad's shed in California the last 11 years since I moved here, along with over 300 books and who knows what else! Someday I may be reunited with my stuff, but I haven't died without it yet. LOL

Barbara
It might have been Sarah Coventry Jewelry. Also, anybody been to the old Home Interiors parties?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Years ago, a few years after we bought our house in this neighborhood, it seemed that several neighbors (unintentionally) took turns having Pampered Chef parties. I had one that was very successful - I ended up with about $150 worth of free stuff. I had one a year for three years or so and attended probably five or six more in that time. I usually had mine in September or October so people would be in the mood for buying holiday gifts. Then I decided there was really nothing else I needed for the kitchen, at least nothing that seemed affordable. It was a lot of fun while it lasted, though

Now that I'm back on the board of the local League of Women Voters, I'm thinking about having one of these: http://www.moonrisejewelry.com/shop/...rmation-6.html
Old 10-10-2007, 12:37 AM   #9
DC Grandma

Cookie Lee Jewelry?

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:45 AM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

So many people are trying to help me remember what jewelry party I had that I did a search. Wow, are there a lot of home jewelry parties out there! None of them look familiar, but it doesn't really matter. All that matters is that I have a really pretty necklace and some fake gold earrings (that look like real gold and are just as shiny today as they did years ago). Thanks for trying to help me remember!

Barbara