"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-27-2007, 03:17 PM   #31
Sous Chef

A lot of times you can find the cheaper models with a lot of the same features as the expensive units. My Yamaha was just over $2k when I bought it but 2 years later I could have gotten the same features on a model that cost under $600.

It looks really nice but it may not be worth it in the long run. I am already wanting to buy a different receiver but to part with a $2k+ unit is harder than parting with a $500 unit.

I am just guessing on the South, but it was in that area.

I will have to go check out Innovative and see these speakers!

Old 09-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #32
Executive Chef

I always look for 'last years model' sales. I've been there, done that, trying to keep up with technology.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:35 AM   #33
Head Chef

Thats what i need to do is look for last years models. Im always trying to keep up with the jones's.

Nachef, is that place gone or is it still there becasue on tuesdays i go to a lil place down around 33rd and state called chicken express. best dang chicken n ribs. You can see them rotisserie the chicken and ribs in a fire pit as you eat. If its still there ill have to drop in. Oh and in case your looking for a good place to buy wire, EWS on 45 and state are way good and so is Ray elco.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:22 AM   #34
Sous Chef

Thanks I will check them out.

No, Broadway is no longer open but it is possible that we could still order stuff from him. He sent me a letter when he closed the doors stating he was only doing home theater install but could still help with any product. I will find the letter and give him a call and let you know.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:45 AM   #35
Head Chef

ok cool. hopefully ill be married in a year so im gonna have to save money for that first. Then i can start collecting pieces, or at least i hope so. Yeah EWS is Electrical Wholesale Supply of Utah. They have everything from networking to home audio and in between. But mostly commercial and residentual wiring such as romex cable and what not. They do carry speaker wire and video cable. its like .16$ a foot for RG6 coax and .08$ a foot for CAT5E.

Ray Elco is a awesome awesome place that has electronics form the 50's all the way till now. They have cable out the wazoo. You cant go wrong with EWS and ray elco.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #36
Sous Chef

Not sure when I will need new wires but I will remember that. I have boxes full of wires!

I have some Kimber Cable speaker wire that is made here in Utah that I havent heard much about lately. I dont think I have used those for almost 10 years.

I do have an old radio that needs tubes however, so maqybe I will go into that Ray Elco and see what they can get for me.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:38 PM   #37
Head Chef

cool, i know that in the past i have seen tubes at ray elco but not sure if there the kind your looking for. there a bazillions of types of tubes. lol. but i bet they could help you out.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #38
Head Chef

dude you guys need to try TVU networks | Welcome.. its free cable streamed over the internet. im watching spike tv right now.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:25 AM   #39
Head Chef

Laser TVs launching Christmas 2007 - Engadget
Old 10-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #40
Sous Chef

This article is a year old, I have not been able to find anything recent on these as I was interested also. Could make TV prices drop as well, still not sure if I should get a TV this year or wait tell next year. Maybe I will just get a 32" this year and put it in the bedroom once I get something bigger.