Homemade Christmas Gifts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shannon in KS

Cooking Links Contest Winner
21 days til' Christmas!!! Being a single mom, I don't usually buy gifts for anyone but the little one. She usually makes a craft for the grandparents, which they always really enjoy! As the years have gotten much better, I began to make them a grown-up gift, too. Last year it was a basket with wine and cheese and a few other goodies. This year I am thinking of making a large batch of chocolate liqueur and wine truffles.

Does anyone else make their Christmas Gifts?

I"m not a very crafty person. But I've been known to make some pretty wonderful cordials and everyone always likes to get the Nut rocha that I've made in the past.

I wish I made more of my gifts.
Homemade with love is so much nicer
than store bought.

:)

One year I oil painted my sisters and mammaw pictures of the season they were born in.
Last year, I made some glass lights that were filled with colored sea rock, shells and white christmas lights mixed in with it and you pour scented oil and when heated, smells very good and they're pretty to look at. The hard part of it was drilling the hole with a diamond bit. You have to go slow as not to break the glass.

Not to sound like a cheeseball but a Christmas card made from construction paper by my 7 year old niece would be worth a million times more to me than an HD home theater system. Homemade gifts are the best, no question.

One homemade gift that a friends daughter still thanks me for after many years is a kitchen basket I made her. I included new items....dish clothes/pot holders, vintage/antique items .....cookie cutters, wooden spoons, measuring spoons, rolling pin, measuring cup. Plus, tucked in with those items I bought a cute little photo album, where the inserts at were large enough to hold large index cards. I then went through my recipe file and copied all the recipes I had that I knew she would like. They include some of my mothers recipes also.
Many of my favorites have now become her and her husbands.

What a wonderful and thoughtful present. I'm doing container presents for my grandchildren this year. For the ll year old girl, I'm getting an overnight case with thing age appropriate (ie a purse with a bit of cash) nail polish, pre teen cosmetics, etc. For the younger girls, tote bags with drawing supplies, etc, for the boys, dump trucks with little cars and toys in the dump part, and some candy in everyone's container.

when i was a kid, we were on a pretty tight budget, so all of my siblings made our presents for each other, until we were old enough to get jobs to make money to buy gifts. i really miss those early days. the hand made gifts will always be priceless because of the love that went into them. and some parts from dad's watch and mom's knife sharpener. ( j/k )
i plan on keeping this tradition alive with my family.

note to self: send damp's neice a ream of construction paper, and a cheeseball for damp. :)

buckytom said:
when i was a kid, we were on a pretty tight budget, so all of my siblings made our presents for each other, until we were old enough to get jobs to make money to buy gifts. i really miss those early days. the hand made gifts will always be priceless because of the love that went into them. and some parts from dad's watch and mom's knife sharpener. ( j/k )
i plan on keeping this tradition alive with my family.

Sounds like what we are doing this year. With most 7/12 of the people 10 and under and we are on a tight budget too so sounds like we are in buckytom's childhood scenario. How many kids did you guys have buckytom?

Cameron

there are six of us, cam. i am the youngest (so it was my job to torture everyone. someday, i will pass on that baton... i think one of my nephews has the right stuff for the job...)

I crochet so I made most my gifts and I also like to decoupage and made a few gifts of plates with pictures and photoes. I make with my hands but from the heart.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom