"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-10-2016, 07:37 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
One blessing about dissolvable pods with me is I no longer have to worry about dark clothes getting streaked because of too much detergent at one area of the wash. I suppose that can be gotten around by how you add it to the wash. I'm not that savvy at home economics

How about dissolveable packets for cooking? Just thinking 22nd century out loud here.
From what you're saying here, I am guessing you are speaking about powdered detergent. What my recipe produces is a liquid...from a powdered concentrate.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:01 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Why bother even buying today's pods too for that matter, right? Just keep scooping detergent out of a box. It's called convenience.
Exactly. I said that earlier Too many people succumb to crap advertising about convenience products, and many people these days lament that they can't save, yet they blow money on convenience. I personally don't encourage it.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:05 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
One blessing about dissolvable pods with me is I no longer have to worry about dark clothes getting streaked because of too much detergent at one area of the wash. I suppose that can be gotten around by how you add it to the wash. I'm not that savvy at home economics
It's not complicated. When you turn on the water, put the detergent in so it can dissolve. After a couple of minutes, put your clothes in. Ta da!
Old 06-10-2016, 08:28 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's not complicated. When you turn on the water, put the detergent in so it can dissolve. After a couple of minutes, put your clothes in. Ta da!
The funniest one I ever heard was a lady saying that her husband was too stupid to ever use HER washing machine.
I said oh, I guess he is unable to work then.
She came back with no "he has a PhD in some very intelligent field and has a high paying job.. (I have forgotten the exact field but it dealt with complicated equipment. )
I then said well then I am sure your husband could figure out the washer since my not near as educated husband could run the washer if need be.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:45 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

cinisajoy,
Old 06-10-2016, 11:59 PM   #16
Head Chef

I'm really so glad to hear so many people are interested in using homemade laundry soap. The money it saves, so you can buy a better steak is always an option.

Soaps and detergents, are just like the shampoo you use on your hair. It's always a good idea to use something else (if you use the soap, change over to detergent once every few months) so there is no build up.

Some homes have water softeners and some don't. The recipe can be tweaked to fit your own water situation. Some people use vinegar in the rinse.

One of my friends that I gave the recipe for the laundry soap to, sells the laundry soap to a local nursing home and makes it fragrance free. People with allergies to certain smells can make the laundry soap from a fragrance free soap. Fragrance free laundry soap is also good for laundering hunting clothing to remove fragrances before hunting. My brothers who hunt really like the unscented stuff.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:50 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
From what you're saying here, I am guessing you are speaking about powdered detergent. What my recipe produces is a liquid...from a powdered concentrate.
Katie, oh dear...liquid Wisk is what caused this newb to have streaked black jeans. Wisk is very concentrated. I must have not poured it in correctly. I don't want to wait for the water to fill up. Pods are a godsend to guys like me.

And yes GC, the extra step needed to do it the way it's been done for years is fine. Our modern world seems to want to sell us things that cut out steps as a way of progressing. Why wait a couple of minutes? Today says...Do away with boxes of powder or liquid containers of detergent, nevermind needing a scoop to measure the amount...just toss in this little detergent pod.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:40 PM   #18
Everymom

I forgot to subscribe to this one.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I'm really so glad to hear so many people are interested in using homemade laundry soap. The money it saves, so you can buy a better steak is always an option.

Soaps and detergents, are just like the shampoo you use on your hair. It's always a good idea to use something else (if you use the soap, change over to detergent once every few months) so there is no build up.

Some homes have water softeners and some don't. The recipe can be tweaked to fit your own water situation. Some people use vinegar in the rinse.

One of my friends that I gave the recipe for the laundry soap to, sells the laundry soap to a local nursing home and makes it fragrance free. People with allergies to certain smells can make the laundry soap from a fragrance free soap. Fragrance free laundry soap is also good for laundering hunting clothing to remove fragrances before hunting. My brothers who hunt really like the unscented stuff.
All the benefits you mention are part of the reason I began to make the stuff. My most compelling reason, initially, was that it was amazingly inexpensive. The ingredients to make 10 gallons of the stuff sets me back under $5. That's less than what one bottle of commercially-produced detergent costs.

Not having any detergent allergies myself, I took that as a bonus for other family members who might have them. Nothing to worry about even from visitors needing to do laundry at our home.

Additionally, I saw the benefit of not adding large plastic jugs to our landfills. I used to use washed-out milk jugs but they were a bit too flimsy for me, so I switched to gallon-sized Gatorade containers. Perfect. I had our son save some of his for us. We drink Gatorade but mix ours from the granulated form. Again, no bottles to put in the trash.

Now that I've streamlined the detergent to making "packets" to be mixed as needed, I don't have any big buckets to contend with when making the stuff (just the jug I need at the time) and I don't have to stash 9 surplus jugs.

At the moment, I have 26 portions stored in a container that's smaller than a 3-pound (or whatever they are today) coffee can/container.

The only addition I made to the mixture is, as I noted, I added some OxiClean. Per recipe, each portion weighs approximately 70 grams and fits in a snack-sized zipperlock plastic bag.

I introduced the detergent to my youngest brother last week and he's sold on it already. Loves how it cleans. Me, too. Even the crappiest stuff.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:52 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
All the benefits you mention are part of the reason I began to make the stuff. My most compelling reason, initially, was that it was amazingly inexpensive. The ingredients to make 10 gallons of the stuff sets me back under $5. That's less than what one bottle of commercially-produced detergent costs.

Not having any detergent allergies myself, I took that as a bonus for other family members who might have them. Nothing to worry about even from visitors needing to do laundry at our home.

Additionally, I saw the benefit of not adding large plastic jugs to our landfills. I used to use washed-out milk jugs but they were a bit too flimsy for me, so I switched to gallon-sized Gatorade containers. Perfect. I had our son save some of his for us. We drink Gatorade but mix ours from the granulated form. Again, no bottles to put in the trash.

Now that I've streamlined the detergent to making "packets" to be mixed as needed, I don't have any big buckets to contend with when making the stuff (just the jug I need at the time) and I don't have to stash 9 surplus jugs.

At the moment, I have 26 portions stored in a container that's smaller than a 3-pound (or whatever they are today) coffee can/container.

The only addition I made to the mixture is, as I noted, I added some OxiClean. Per recipe, each portion weighs approximately 70 grams and fits in a snack-sized zipperlock plastic bag.

I introduced the detergent to my youngest brother last week and he's sold on it already. Loves how it cleans. Me, too. Even the crappiest stuff.
I too love not carrying large jugs and boxes into the house, (for bought detergent) then having to carry them out again, and look at the environmental benefits!

We have a bucket w/lid in the basement for our homemade laundry soap, and when it starts to get to the bottom, DH brings it up and asks me to cook up some of it.
I have stored shredded soap measured out in zip lock bags, with, my borax and washing soda. I put a big kettle on to boil the soap until clear, mix in the borax and washing soda, mix and add cold water and put in bucket, and let cool. Then DH takes it down to the washing machine in the basement.

It doesn't matter which method you use, shredded, powdered, dry, wet, it works great and saves so much money! For every penny you earn, you get a penny, for every penny you save, you get a penny, all those pennies add up and can be spent on what you REALLY want.

Tags
homemade