Homemade Laundry Soap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CarolPa;1351434[B said:
Cave[/B]-I would think that the home made laundry soap has a lot less additives and perfumes/frangrances than Tide does!!! Next time we have to buy Tide I'm deduction that $20 out of his gambling allowance. See how he likes that!

I think so too (has less perfumes etc). I had to stop using ALL products using added fragrances/chemicals when I got a humungus case of MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) a decade or so ago which lasted for years. Now the MCS is much better but I still avoid most products with fragrances/chemicals out of habit and just because. Tide is certainly one of them---- I use ALL Free and Clear but home made sounds good.

Anyone done a cost analysis of one over the other? (Math is NOT friendly to me! And vice versa.) Sorry--- I haven't read all the posts here---- just noticed the thread today.

Anyone done a cost analysis of one over the other? (Math is NOT friendly to me! And vice versa.) Sorry--- I haven't read all the posts here---- just noticed the thread today.

Yes, cave. I did do a cost analysis of the homemade detergent vs. the commercially-produced kind.

Here's what I came up with. A bar of Fels sells in my area for one dollar, the portion of the Borax and washing soda needed for a single 10-gallon recipe amounts to about $3 total for the two. Add that to the bar soap and we've screamed up to $4 for 10 gallons of liquid detergent.

I was in my local grocery store last Tuesday and noticed that they had a "SALE" on an endcap featuring Tide. If I remember correctly, it was a 100-oz. bottle. The price was about $10.

Contrast that to a gallon (128 ounces) of the homemade stuff for less than half a dollar. The homemade detergent is used in about 1/2-cup measures, which means that each bottle will provide 32 loads.

Also, add to the savings (of the planet), we no longer have to dispose of those heavy empty detergent bottles and, since we either use a 5-gallon bucket and dispense from it or store in recycled gallon bottles, it's a win-win situation.

Last edited:
Yes, cave. I did do a cost analysis of the homemade detergent vs. the commercially-produced kind.

Here's what I came up with. A bar of Fels sells in my area for one dollar, the portion of the Borax and washing soda needed for a single 10-gallon recipe amounts to about $3 total for the two. Add that to the bar soap and we've screamed up to $4 for 10 gallons of liquid detergent.

I was in my local grocery store last Tuesday and noticed that they had a "SALE" on an endcap featuring Tide. If I remember correctly, it was a 100-oz. bottle. The price was about $10.

Contrast that to a gallon (128 ounces) of the homemade stuff for less than half a dollar. The homemade detergent is used in about 1/2-cup measures, which means that each bottle will provide 32 loads.

Also, add to the savings (of the planet), we no longer have to dispose of those heavy empty detergent bottles and, since we either use a 5-gallon bucket and dispense from it or store in recycled gallon bottles, it's a win-win situation.

Thank you, math genius! :) And the red highlighted part is a VERY big savings for me!

Thank you, math genius! :) And the red highlighted part is a VERY big savings for me!

Thanks for the compliment, cave. I've always been very frugal. My late husband, Buck, said I could make a penny scream and now, Glenn tells me I'm, "cheap, cheap." But in a good way.

I never saw the purpose in spending money when it wasn't necessary. Before unit comparison shopping was "in" that's how I shopped. I have always been a cost-per-use/unit buyer.

When Glenn and I were first married he thought I was magic when we went to the grocery store. For our weekly budgeted amount I always came home with way more (and better) goods than he did. Just the frugal part of me at work.

I also strongly dislike unnecessary waste. It makes me crazy to buy a bottle of analgesic and have to "dig" it out of its packaging. First the box, then the heat-sealed strip on the cap, then the inside sealed cover and, then, occasionally a wad of cotton inside the container. Good grief!!

Yes, I know. All these measures are here to protect us from all the crazies in the world who wish us harm, but.....Our landfills are so crammed with excess crap, there must be a more reasonable way to do things.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Katie, I like you on your soapbox. You make sense! My mother used to use the phrase, squeeze a dollar til the eagle squeals. I learned from her. Her's was from necessity, mine is for the same reason as yours. Why spend $10 on something if you can get the same thing for $5.

I make my laundry soap even less expensively. I grate up the little bits of bath soap that are no longer big enough to use. I also by decorative soaps at yard sales for next to nothing. CHEAP YOU SAY? You betcha.

Yes, to your earlier question. I still have your address.

Okay, I'll pick up 5. That should hold you for a little while.

As for the knee, it was replaced in November 2012 and the doc put in a bad joint. Now I have to have it done all over again. I'm ready for it to "feel like heaven." Been waiting for 16 months to feel that way since it was done the first time. Sheesh! Thanks for the prayers.

Katie, I remember when you got that done. You were joking about you and DH becoming new people. Is it one of the joints that have been recalled? :angel:

Katie, I remember when you got that done. You were joking about you and DH becoming new people. Is it one of the joints that have been recalled? :angel:

I don't know Addie. I just learned, about a month ago, that the joint I have has a 56% failure rate. Apparently that's not new news and there is currently a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer, but I'm not sure if the suit is in reference to the joint I have.

I'm in no hurry to pursue anything. I just want this to be over and to be able to get back to some semblance of normal.

One of Glenn's daughters is an attorney, as is her husband and they tell me I have a year from the time I learn that there's a problem to do anything lawsuit-wise.

Glenn's knee is perfect. No problems at all. Ever.

I don't know Addie. I just learned, about a month ago, that the joint I have has a 56% failure rate. Apparently that's not new news and there is currently a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer, but I'm not sure if the suit is in reference to the joint I have.

I'm in no hurry to pursue anything. I just want this to be over and to be able to get back to some semblance of normal.

One of Glenn's daughters is an attorney, as is her husband and they tell me I have a year from the time I learn that there's a problem to do anything lawsuit-wise.

Glenn's knee is perfect. No problems at all. Ever.

Ask your doctor the name of the manufacturer. Your stepdaughter will know the names of the ones that have been recalled. Or she can find out a lot easier than you can. Go for it girl. You deserve it!!! :angel:

Ask your doctor the name of the manufacturer. Your stepdaughter will know the names of the ones that have been recalled. Or she can find out a lot easier than you can. Go for it girl. You deserve it!!! :angel:

I know the manufacturer, the model number, etc. of my joint. I just have to determine if it is one of the ones under suit. The manufacturer made a variety of these joints and mine may not be one that falls under the defective category.

This is probably a bit over-cautious but perhaps you should consider not talking about a 'possible' lawsuit on a public board? Maybe it's way over-cautious---- but..........

This is probably a bit over-cautious but perhaps you should consider not talking about a 'possible' lawsuit on a public board? Maybe it's way over-cautious---- but..........

Good point, cave, but the only suit that I'm aware of is the current class action one. I'm not a "suer" person so this will, likely, go nowhere. I'm just very disappointed and ready to get my mobility back.

Katie, a friend of mine had similar issues with knee surgery where it had to be done a second time. It's bad enough to have to go through that the first time! Hope you get fixed up soon.

I can't believe it, but my husband has conceded to the home made laundry soap. Makes me wonder what he wants or what he did. I was going to just continue to use it for my shirts, but now he said he will let me wash towels and his clothes one time, but if he gets a rash then that will be it. He will not get a rash. He must have been reading over my shoulder when I said I was going to deduct it out of his gambling allowance.

Note: New batch today. July 21,2016.

Last batch's date wasn't recorded dang it.

BTW Katie I plan to try your ziploc plan next time. Just needed some in a hurry this time so went with the fast recipe that I already knew. Still have 4 bars of Fels so I might do a batch this week to have in reserve. Considering having one jug that I can put some tea tree oil in for my laundry. (Ken hates it but I love it!)

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2017 that batch lasted a while!

Both girls are coming to refill regularly now so we'll see how long this batch lasts.

Back
Top Bottom