"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #161
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa;1351434[B
Cave[/B]-I would think that the home made laundry soap has a lot less additives and perfumes/frangrances than Tide does!!! Next time we have to buy Tide I'm deduction that $20 out of his gambling allowance. See how he likes that!
I think so too (has less perfumes etc). I had to stop using ALL products using added fragrances/chemicals when I got a humungus case of MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) a decade or so ago which lasted for years. Now the MCS is much better but I still avoid most products with fragrances/chemicals out of habit and just because. Tide is certainly one of them---- I use ALL Free and Clear but home made sounds good.

Anyone done a cost analysis of one over the other? (Math is NOT friendly to me! And vice versa.) Sorry--- I haven't read all the posts here---- just noticed the thread today.
__________________

__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #162
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Anyone done a cost analysis of one over the other? (Math is NOT friendly to me! And vice versa.) Sorry--- I haven't read all the posts here---- just noticed the thread today.
Yes, cave. I did do a cost analysis of the homemade detergent vs. the commercially-produced kind.

Here's what I came up with. A bar of Fels sells in my area for one dollar, the portion of the Borax and washing soda needed for a single 10-gallon recipe amounts to about $3 total for the two. Add that to the bar soap and we've screamed up to $4 for 10 gallons of liquid detergent.

I was in my local grocery store last Tuesday and noticed that they had a "SALE" on an endcap featuring Tide. If I remember correctly, it was a 100-oz. bottle. The price was about $10.

Contrast that to a gallon (128 ounces) of the homemade stuff for less than half a dollar. The homemade detergent is used in about 1/2-cup measures, which means that each bottle will provide 32 loads.

Also, add to the savings (of the planet), we no longer have to dispose of those heavy empty detergent bottles and, since we either use a 5-gallon bucket and dispense from it or store in recycled gallon bottles, it's a win-win situation.
__________________

__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #163
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Yes, cave. I did do a cost analysis of the homemade detergent vs. the commercially-produced kind.

Here's what I came up with. A bar of Fels sells in my area for one dollar, the portion of the Borax and washing soda needed for a single 10-gallon recipe amounts to about $3 total for the two. Add that to the bar soap and we've screamed up to $4 for 10 gallons of liquid detergent.

I was in my local grocery store last Tuesday and noticed that they had a "SALE" on an endcap featuring Tide. If I remember correctly, it was a 100-oz. bottle. The price was about $10.

Contrast that to a gallon (128 ounces) of the homemade stuff for less than half a dollar. The homemade detergent is used in about 1/2-cup measures, which means that each bottle will provide 32 loads.

Also, add to the savings (of the planet), we no longer have to dispose of those heavy empty detergent bottles and, since we either use a 5-gallon bucket and dispense from it or store in recycled gallon bottles, it's a win-win situation.
Thank you, math genius! And the red highlighted part is a VERY big savings for me!
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #164
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Thank you, math genius! And the red highlighted part is a VERY big savings for me!
Thanks for the compliment, cave. I've always been very frugal. My late husband, Buck, said I could make a penny scream and now, Glenn tells me I'm, "cheap, cheap." But in a good way.

I never saw the purpose in spending money when it wasn't necessary. Before unit comparison shopping was "in" that's how I shopped. I have always been a cost-per-use/unit buyer.

When Glenn and I were first married he thought I was magic when we went to the grocery store. For our weekly budgeted amount I always came home with way more (and better) goods than he did. Just the frugal part of me at work.

I also strongly dislike unnecessary waste. It makes me crazy to buy a bottle of analgesic and have to "dig" it out of its packaging. First the box, then the heat-sealed strip on the cap, then the inside sealed cover and, then, occasionally a wad of cotton inside the container. Good grief!!

Yes, I know. All these measures are here to protect us from all the crazies in the world who wish us harm, but.....Our landfills are so crammed with excess crap, there must be a more reasonable way to do things.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #165
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Katie, I like you on your soapbox. You make sense! My mother used to use the phrase, squeeze a dollar til the eagle squeals. I learned from her. Her's was from necessity, mine is for the same reason as yours. Why spend $10 on something if you can get the same thing for $5.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #166
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,722
I make my laundry soap even less expensively. I grate up the little bits of bath soap that are no longer big enough to use. I also by decorative soaps at yard sales for next to nothing. CHEAP YOU SAY? You betcha.
__________________
Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refridgerator.
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #167
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Yes, to your earlier question. I still have your address.

Okay, I'll pick up 5. That should hold you for a little while.

As for the knee, it was replaced in November 2012 and the doc put in a bad joint. Now I have to have it done all over again. I'm ready for it to "feel like heaven." Been waiting for 16 months to feel that way since it was done the first time. Sheesh! Thanks for the prayers.
Katie, I remember when you got that done. You were joking about you and DH becoming new people. Is it one of the joints that have been recalled?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #168
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Katie, I remember when you got that done. You were joking about you and DH becoming new people. Is it one of the joints that have been recalled?
I don't know Addie. I just learned, about a month ago, that the joint I have has a 56% failure rate. Apparently that's not new news and there is currently a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer, but I'm not sure if the suit is in reference to the joint I have.

I'm in no hurry to pursue anything. I just want this to be over and to be able to get back to some semblance of normal.

One of Glenn's daughters is an attorney, as is her husband and they tell me I have a year from the time I learn that there's a problem to do anything lawsuit-wise.

Glenn's knee is perfect. No problems at all. Ever.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #169
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I don't know Addie. I just learned, about a month ago, that the joint I have has a 56% failure rate. Apparently that's not new news and there is currently a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer, but I'm not sure if the suit is in reference to the joint I have.

I'm in no hurry to pursue anything. I just want this to be over and to be able to get back to some semblance of normal.

One of Glenn's daughters is an attorney, as is her husband and they tell me I have a year from the time I learn that there's a problem to do anything lawsuit-wise.

Glenn's knee is perfect. No problems at all. Ever.
Ask your doctor the name of the manufacturer. Your stepdaughter will know the names of the ones that have been recalled. Or she can find out a lot easier than you can. Go for it girl. You deserve it!!!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #170
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Ask your doctor the name of the manufacturer. Your stepdaughter will know the names of the ones that have been recalled. Or she can find out a lot easier than you can. Go for it girl. You deserve it!!!
I know the manufacturer, the model number, etc. of my joint. I just have to determine if it is one of the ones under suit. The manufacturer made a variety of these joints and mine may not be one that falls under the defective category.
__________________

__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.