Homemade Laundry Soap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alix--how much do you need? I have 3 bars from my trip to NY last week and I'm going to MN on the 28th (where I'll stock up). Of course, do we trust Canada Post to get it to you b/4 Christmas?

Katie, good to know! I'm not due quite yet, but it will be soon. If I send you a cheque will you send me some more soap? Much cheaper than buying the big pile online.

No problem, Alix. Glad it worked out last time. I have to go to the store tomorrow to replenish my stash, so I'll add a few more bars.

This new method worked out sooooo well. I can't imagine I didn't think of it sooner. The whole process was a breeze.

Making some today. Just keeping track of how long its lasting me. I didn't post the exact date I made the last batch. Katie, do you remember when you sent me the Fels? I think its about a year, but I'm not sure.

It lasts a good long time.

I use homemade soap (you can use ivory) when I make mine instead of fels naptha and it works well. I have hard water with a water softener.
The only time I add anything extra is when I am bleaching whites. I put in hot water from the tub next to the washer, then some dishwasher detergent and bleach and they come out gleaming white.

Umm soap (not detergent, not laundry soap)....it's a lye solution and fats all at a good warm temperature, mixed until trace and then added color and essential oils if you like, poured into molds. I don't think I posted any actual recipe but I use Kathy Miller's methods for making the soap. Found here: Miller's Homemade Soap Page

Yep, I remember looking at that! I don't have a mold and I remember thinking I wanted to give that a try. I never did get around to it. I think I'll make that my next project and try it instead of the Fels.

Yep, I remember looking at that! I don't have a mold and I remember thinking I wanted to give that a try. I never did get around to it. I think I'll make that my next project and try it instead of the Fels.

Okay then, if you have lye, water, a thermometer, stainless cookware, wooden spoons or stainless spoons, fats (I use 40% lard, 40% vegetable oil, 10% coconut oil), and a mold..........you can do it.
A mold can be a heavy cardboard box lined with plastic, or tupperware lined with plastic, or a wood box lined in freezer paper (I know someone that makes those molds), anything that will hold it's shape lined in plastic or freezer paper (plastic side inside).
There is a recipe calculator for soap on Kathy Miller's site I've used for years.

Making some today. Just keeping track of how long its lasting me. I didn't post the exact date I made the last batch. Katie, do you remember when you sent me the Fels? I think its about a year, but I'm not sure.

Alix, I'm not sure how long it's been since I sent you the Fels. All I know is that one batch of the detergent lasts Glenn and me a long, long time.

If you want me to send more....let me know.

I love, love, love this detergent. I use it for EVERYTHING.

Okay then, if you have lye, water, a thermometer, stainless cookware, wooden spoons or stainless spoons, fats (I use 40% lard, 40% vegetable oil, 10% coconut oil), and a mold..........you can do it.
A mold can be a heavy cardboard box lined with plastic, or tupperware lined with plastic, or a wood box lined in freezer paper (I know someone that makes those molds), anything that will hold it's shape lined in plastic or freezer paper (plastic side inside).
There is a recipe calculator for soap on Kathy Miller's site I've used for years.

I looked at a few recipes. I would like to try with just a bar or two and then move up from there. I like idea of the classic ones. Can I ask you a question about the whites? You use dishwasher detergent to boost the whitening? What kind, how much etc?

Alix, I'm not sure how long it's been since I sent you the Fels. All I know is that one batch of the detergent lasts Glenn and me a long, long time.

If you want me to send more....let me know.

I love, love, love this detergent. I use it for EVERYTHING.

Katie, I used the last bar today. However, since it took a year (ish) to use up the last batch I think I'm OK for a bit. I will definitely let you know though.

For whites, I use the homemade laundry soap and add 1/4 cup dishwashing powder or liquid and some bleach. Right now I'm using 'Sunlight' though I just use whatever we have in the cabinet. The water needs to be super hot, so I add the water from the hot water faucet.
New regulations on washers don't allow super hot water--so even if the washer says 'hot', it will still only fill it with 'warm'.

On making soap (you can use this soap for many other things than just laundry soap--I use it for everything): If you weigh your ingredients and you are off by 1/2 oz in a small recipe (2 bars), it may fail, where if you are off by 1/2 oz in a larger recipe (10 bars), your margin of error is smaller and it won't fail. So I'd recommend a larger batch instead of a smaller batch--though it's up to you.

Good point. And its a good time of year to experiment since Christmas is coming.

OK, if I make a larger batch, can I add stuff to half the batch and not the other half? I'm thinking of making one half the Gardener's soap and the other just regular soap.

Good point. And its a good time of year to experiment since Christmas is coming.

OK, if I make a larger batch, can I add stuff to half the batch and not the other half? I'm thinking of making one half the Gardener's soap and the other just regular soap.

Yes you can add coloring and fragrance (essential oils) to half the batch. Pour the first half then add things, then pour the second half.
It is not uncommon to have soap--FREEZE SOLID when adding some fragrances--so work quickly when adding fragrances-essential oils. If it does freeze up, it will be like solid mash potatoes, pack them as best you can, into the molds.

Gardeners soap: I've added a fine pumice to soap, it's like lava, also, coffee grounds are a nice addition too.

Soap making:
The first night, add the LYE to water, let cool to 100 degrees F.
warm the fats and oils to 100-110 degrees F.
Mix until 'trace', like vanilla pudding, and put in molds.
Put the molds on newspapers and towels.....newspapers to contain drips, towels for warmth.
Wrap molds in towels to keep them warm. They will continue their chemical reaction (saponification) throughout the night.

The second night, unwrap the molds, cut into bars. It cuts just like cheese. Set out to cure--dry.

If you have any problems making it.......PM me your phone number and I'll call you and walk you through it.
Once you start making soap--you might never buy it again. I can say this about the past 10 years and 1000's of bars later. And--they make such nice gifts because everyone uses soap, well, at least the non-smelly people use soap.:LOL:

Made a fresh batch today. That's 10 months of soap for about $5 give or take a buck or two. That includes the couple of jugs I gave away and the one I spilled. Oops.

I think I just used my last bar of Fels. I will be hitting my usual suppliers up for new bars I suspect!

Last edited:
Hmmm...I still have enough soap for a couple of months. I just found a bottle of the concentrate that had been hidden behind the paper towels. I'll post how long it takes to run out!

Okay, I'm going to the store and buy what I need for this. I'm finally convinced and I'm looking to buy laundry soap soon. Just a half batch, though.

Okay, I'm going to the store and buy what I need for this. I'm finally convinced and I'm looking to buy laundry soap soon. Just a half batch, though.
I don't make concentrate--I use it dry. The DH is now using it as well. It took awhile to sell him on the idea, but the cost savings and the fact the clothes came out clean convinced him. For his shop clothes, he uses Lava instead of Fels.

I've been making it for about 18 months or so. It lasts a LONG time. I make 12 c at a time because that is the size of container I have (I use 1/8 c per load). I do a LOT of laundry. I am constantly doing laundry...or maybe it is because I change my clothes so many times every day...and I have a lot of clothes (that closet holds a lot). I change clothes more often than I used to change my Barbie's clothes...a friend's daughter would change her clothes 5-6 times/day. I probably was one of those children too. Alix--if you need Fels, let me know.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom