Honey, We're Killing the Kids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saw the trailer ad on TV for this. Yet another attempt to put fear in the hearts of insecure American parents about how they are screwing up the raising of their children.

If you watch it (I won't), let me know if the "experts" they put on include Marion Nestle and/or anybody from CSPI (Concerned Scientists for the Public Interest). These people have serious agendas.

Andy, it's a show about how obese American kids are these days, and it's because (at least from the trailer I saw) that the parents are not buying the right kinds of food for them. CSPI and Ms. Nestle would have you go vegan or vegetarian. They also have financial ties to PETA.

I noticed the ad above, but didnt click on it. We all know what is best for our kids....a healthy balanced diet, and exercise, even if it includes meat, fish, and poultry. I have nothing against vegans or vegetarians, but my diet does include other things. My only gripe is that fresh fruit and veggies cost so much! If we are suppose to eat healthy, then drop the price so we can afford it, and raise the cost of junk/processed foods! Funny how that works huh? And forget organic foods, they cost even more. Not starting a war of words here, just an observation people.

pdswife said:
I refuse to watch it. Tv is getting way too weird if you ask me.

I agree, tv is definately getting weird, and too many reality shows!

Very true Amber. The fresh fruits and veggies can be pricey. It seems like people use time as an excuse for eating healthy too. Why not take a little extra time to make a decent meal for your family, sit at the dining room table all together and enjoy eachother's company instead of unhealthy tv dinners in front of the television watching a program on being obese?!

talking about the cost of fresh fruits and vegetables.......

considering it takes about one large fresh potato to make a 12 oz. bag of potato chips.......which is cheapest?
a bag of fresh raw potatoes
a 12 ounce bag of chips
or a 2 pound bag of frozen french fries?

Point take, bethzaring. But potatoes are realatively cheap in general. How about $3-$4 for one red pepper or $4/lb grapes or $5 for a half pint of berries? Which is cheaper and will fill you up, the berries or a gigantic bag of potato chips?

I see so many young people filling up their carts with things that don't have a vitamin of any sort in them, but with junk of all kinds. If the junk is left off, there is more money for real food. Also, some of the youngsters in the grocery store don't even know what the veggies and fruits are. Unless it is a banana or an apple, they ask "what is this?" Grocery stores should make them recognize whatever is being sold before putting them on the register. I don't know much about a vegan diet, but I'm not interested in whatever those who are doing the documentary (?) have to say. I think it is their own agenda they are pushing, not the health of the children, usually.

I clicked through to see what it's about (hey gotta support our board right? LOL!) and it's someone named Doctor Lisa Hark?

I agree with ya'll on the price of fresh veg. Frozen is usually cheaper (in our neck of the woods anyway) or canned, but some things just taste better when you cut it up yourself (Broccoli for me :D)

Our grocer just put Broccoli on sale 99 cents a pound so we got 3 pounds, blanched and froze it but after blanching it nearly didn't make it to the freezer LOL! (I can eat Broccoli like candy)

~ Raven ~

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom