Hoping for a heart for our oldest son's best friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our son's best friend since 4th grade is in the hospital needing a heart transplant. He's 26 years old.

It is possibly a genetic thing, enlarged organs [maybe] too from birth, not sure of that part, but like BT's best friend Ozzy, he admitted to us that he's done an over abundance of pretty much everything. He told my husband and I the other night that he's lived the life of a rock star since he was 18, as money was never far from reach. Our son has remained good friends with him through all of these years, but taken a stand against his over indulgence [and called him on it several times] warning him of the probable outcome if he didn't stop.

We don't know the chance of a heart transplant. He is so young and has an odd blood type, if that makes a difference.

This has all come as such as shock, at least to my husband and myself, as he was the most wonderful little guy and sweetheart in general. It's all too much on his parents [as anyone can imagine] they are having a time of it. He's never left home and has always lived with them.

My hope and prayer is a for miracle. I've sat in the hospital with him several times, he takes my hands, holds them both, and every once in a while, takes them to his face and kisses them, it's very sad. He is so beautiful. I'm thinking of him as that little boy, that beautiful special little person, who had the bull by the horns and was on his way to a wonderful life, wondering where it all faded off to. He has realized his part [and] is disappointed as well, very much wanting to plan for the future.

Like BT felt about Ozzy, sometimes a person needs a second go around in life.
If it's in your heart, I ask for prayers and good thoughts regarding this young mans life.
I pray God's will be done [whatever that may be].

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your son and his friend during this most difficult time. I hope that he can get a new heart.

This sort of reminds me of a friend of my dear late brother's wife who was helping him get a liver transplant. She thought about my brother's liver, but the doc told her that my brother's was damaged too much from alcoholism and diabetes.

But I truly hope that your son's friend gets the help that he needs.

My mother always said, "God doesn't make garbage".

We aren't given a choice to be put here. Our choice is how we deal with what we are dealt. And as long as we have another breath in us
we should have hope and celebrate.

We're all worthy, and sometimes we need to be reminded.
So, bless you and yours today. You're in our prayers.

This is a young man that told my husband and I, "I wish (a certain family member) was a friend to me. He's never been my friend, he's always just been my (?). I just want him to really like me." The medications he is connected to may make him speak out of confusion [though] so much of what he says, you either can't hear or don't understand, rather muddled. We gave assurance that the family member he's speaking of adores him [which is soooo true] but that all people are different than others in showing or expressing emotions. I'll say anything to him to try and put him at ease at this time. I just want him better.

Update/report

He came home from the hospital.
He greeted me with a stand up hug.
WHAT?
No oxygen. No pain meds. No meds at all except for his illness.
No nothing.
It was very hard he said, but that hard part is over.
We talked for an hour.
He laughed, cried, talked about much stuff.
He told me his struggles are over for good.
He realizes how precious this life is.
I told him all of you who are praying for him and send him well wishes.
He said, "from people that don't know me?" I said, "Oh yea."
He cried at that thought.
His tears he said were tears of joy at his new understanding.
He was so much better than before. I could not believe he's the same person.
Yes, still on list for heart, but says, he likes his and wants to keep it.
I told him we'll all do everything it takes to make that happen.
So happy today, thanking God for all of your prayers and concerns.
He walked me to the door when I left.
WHAT?

That's great. That's a hug from the heavens!!!!!!!
When bad things happen, we ask why. When good things happen, we say why not. Well, another "my mom" saying; someone has to be happy, why not you?

I'm so glad for your respite.

In a quiet moment, get yourself a little book called,
"I'v Got To Talk To Somebody God", by Marjorie
Holmes. She's written simular ones, but I've had
this one since 1970, and often helps me. It's just daily
reflections on daily situations. See on-line.

So Shines A Good Deed In A Weary World

He came home from the hospital.
He greeted me with a stand up hug.
WHAT?
No oxygen. No pain meds. No meds at all except for his illness.
No nothing.
It was very hard he said, but that hard part is over.
We talked for an hour.
He laughed, cried, talked about much stuff.
He told me his struggles are over for good.
He realizes how precious this life is.
I told him all of you who are praying for him and send him well wishes.
He said, "from people that don't know me?" I said, "Oh yea."
He cried at that thought.
His tears he said were tears of joy at his new understanding.
He was so much better than before. I could not believe he's the same person.
Yes, still on list for heart, but says, he likes his and wants to keep it.
I told him we'll all do everything it takes to make that happen.
So happy today, thanking God for all of your prayers and concerns.
He walked me to the door when I left.
WHAT?
Wow. This is wonderful to hear. I will continue to pray for a miracle. Maybe that miracle will be a new heart. Maybe it will be a healed heart. There has already been one miracle--"He realizes how precious this life is." Some people never do realize that.

:)Barbara

That is great!! Ok, if he wants to keeps his heart, I will pray first for his to heal, but, if that isn't possible, to get him one that will keep him with his family for a long long time!!
Next time he visits, let him see all of the prayers for him.

Just to let you know;
You and your's were in my thoughts today. I hope no news was good news and that you got an emotional day off. We all need to re-charge from time to time. I hope this day belonged to you.

This was indeed a good day for me and thanks for worrying about me. I am and always will be fine. Thank you so much.

And next time I do visit him, I'll take my laptop and read these.;) I hope that won't be too emotional for him, wouldn't want his heart to be overworked:mellow:.

DS went over today to visit. Waiting for that report but am sure, he'll see what I saw. Very encouraging.

I'm such a sucker for happy endings, or even happy respites. The story you tell, Lefe's, makes my eye's more moist than I usually care to admit. But my family know it, I'm a big old softie at heart, especially when it involves the love of families. When you told your freind that his ? adored him, and when he realized that others care about him, even those who have never met or heard about him, and it affected him, that's an amazing thing. I wish everyone could turn their lives around and understand that love is so much more satisfying than is hatred, or revenge, or the lust for power.

Lefe's, you have given this young man a gift more prescious than any other he could receive. You have given him your love. You have officially entered the realm of being a hero.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I can certainly add my prayers to the list, everyone deserves a second chance in life and I certainly hope he gets his.
What you are your DH are doing is fabulous and an inspiration!

I'm such a sucker for happy endings, or even happy respites. The story you tell, Lefe's, makes my eye's more moist than I usually care to admit. But my family know it, I'm a big old softie at heart, especially when it involves the love of families. When you told your freind that his ? adored him, and when he realized that others care about him, even those who have never met or heard about him, and it affected him, that's an amazing thing. I wish everyone could turn their lives around and understand that love is so much more satisfying than is hatred, or revenge, or the lust for power.

Lefe's, you have given this young man a gift more prescious than any other he could receive. You have given him your love. You have officially entered the realm of being a hero.

So then Goodweed, you 'like' making lady's cry then?:-p:-p It's okay, I needed that, tears are very cleansing. You know what? No hero here. Not at all, it's just how God made me and what He tells me to do and say, plus, it's easy, I look at this man as the little boy I knew so well and adored myself. He is in fact a man now, but, a man who is having a hard time of it all. He cried when I said his "?" adored him and I pray he believed me. Because it's more true than anything. I've known his "?" all of my life. My gift if I have one, is patting backs, giving support, loving. I don't find it hard at all giving love to him. I find it hard holding back the tears, so I didn't, he didn't, I didn't. I am so grateful for someone suggesting I read him these comments. He will be so very thankful. He is completely overwhelmed by all the love coming his way. I asked him why? He said, "I never knew so many people loved me." I asked how that was possible. He said he didn't think of himself as special, at that point, I slapped him.:wacko: Not really, I hugged him though. I also reminded him how special a part of his face is. That it represents honor and courage, strength and determination. He said over the years, he's thought of me and that part of his face, remembering what I always said about it. He cried, as did I.

Thank you, thank you, but no, just a person who loves this kid...

So then Goodweed, you 'like' making lady's cry then?:-p:-p It's okay, I needed that, tears are very cleansing. You know what? No hero here. Not at all, it's just how God made me and what He tells me to do and say, plus, it's easy, I look at this man as the little boy I knew so well and adored myself. He is in fact a man now, but, a man who is having a hard time of it all. He cried when I said his "?" adored him and I pray he believed me. Because it's more true than anything. I've known his "?" all of my life. My gift if I have one, is patting backs, giving support, loving. I don't find it hard at all giving love to him. I find it hard holding back the tears, so I didn't, he didn't, I didn't. I am so grateful for someone suggesting I read him these comments. He will be so very thankful. He is completely overwhelmed by all the love coming his way. I asked him why? He said, "I never knew so many people loved me." I asked how that was possible. He said he didn't think of himself as special, at that point, I slapped him.:wacko: Not really, I hugged him though. I also reminded him how special a part of his face is. That it represents honor and courage, strength and determination. He said over the years, he's thought of me and that part of his face, remembering what I always said about it. He cried, as did I.

Thank you, thank you, but no, just a person who loves this kid...
A hero isn't jsut that guy on horseback who recues an inexperianced rider stuck on a bolting horse. Nor is it only those who put their lives on the line to save the lives and properties of others, a hero is someone who gives of themselves in any way for the benifit of another. mother who gives her time willingly to her children, who wants more than anything to teach them the skills to live and be happy in this world, she's a hero. The father who uses his time to care for his kids and wife, to love them and make their lives as great and happy as he can, rather than going to the bars with his buds, he's a hero. The freind who is there for another, when the other is down, or ill, or just needs someone to talk to, by the act of being there, is a hero.

We all tend to think of the grand acts, the guy who throws himself on a grenade to save his fellow soldiers, or the innocent civilians nearby. We remember the woman who dives into icy water to help someone whoe's car has gon off the road and broken through the ice. We honor the firemen who risks life and limb to save a child clinging to a root during a flood. But we forget, or don't notice all the heroes out there who by simple acts of love, save the troubled teenager who unknown to everyone, is comtemplating suicide bacause life just stinks sometimes and can be overwhelming. We forget about those who put others before themselves, as a way of life, trying to improve the world by small degrees.

A hero is the person who is not selfish, and who truly loves others, and is willing to do something good for another, without the need for reward or compensation of any kind. My kids, all of them, have at times been heroes for me, someone I could look up to, someone I can try to emulate. I have met many quiet men and women over the years who have earned that title, for the freindship, the leadership, and the love that they regularly share with everyone around them.

That's why I call you hero.

Well GoodWeed, you just did it again.
Beautifully written and wonderfully spoken words.
I am thankful for the kind things you said.
They are feelings from my heart.
It's kinda big and it's full of love.
That's all I can say about that.
If anything I can do, makes a life smile for even one moment longer than it would have, I, myself, am the one being blessed. You get way more when you give a lot.............thank you, thank you very much...excuse me now, I must get a Kleenex

God bless you all................I've just reread this thread.

LEFSE - this young man is amazing...as you are. I keep typing and erasing as the words are difficult to put "on paper". So...I will continue to pray as my thoughts are very clear. :flowers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom