Horror! Whataburger sells out...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
The legendary Texas burger chain, Whataburger, has sold a majority stake in the company to a Chicago investment company. It has been family owned for 69 years!

They say the company will remain the same, but investment firms only care about money -- and making lots of it. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end. But, I know how "investors" think. Cut costs first and foremost.

What a bummer. :(

CD

I've never had a Whataburger!
Looks like I may never get a chance now :ohmy:

I don't expect things to go South overnight. I just have a bad feeling these Chicago investors are not much interested in keeping a 69-year-old tradition.

So, get to a Whataburger while they are still "pure". There are locations in Arizona -- the most Northern one is in Avondale.

Make sure to get a lot of ketchup packs, so you can bring some home. ;)

CD

cd, I'm really sorry to learn of your impending loss of an old friend. :( Nothing worse than something good suddenly (or slowly) become not as wonderful. I hope your fears are proven wrong.

cd, I'm really sorry to learn of your impending loss of an old friend. :( Nothing worse than something good suddenly (or slowly) become not as wonderful. I hope your fears are proven wrong.

Imagine if Chick-fil-a were to sell to Chicago investors. They might put more than a couple of pickles on their sandwiches, put salt on their waffle fries, be open on Sundays, lower their prices, and welcome gay people... oh, wait, those are good things. :ermm:

Let me try again. They might sell slabs of greasy chicken on buns with a couple of pickles for almost four dollars, and offer a side of waffle fries with no seasoning. Wait.. that's what they do now.

Doh! If you haven't had a Whataburger, you just wouldn't understand.

CD:D

Ahem, I like Chick-Fil-A. And the hatred towards LGBTQ? I suppose you should talk that over with the manager of the Chick-Fil-A in Orlando, a friend of my SIL's and her hubby. Turns out he hires "those kind of people" and doesn't even proselytize to/at them. A real gem of a guy there. :rolleyes: Heck, he'd probably even hire a Steelers fan. :ermm: :ohmy:

Ahem, I like Chick-Fil-A. And the hatred towards LGBTQ? I suppose you should talk that over with the manager of the Chick-Fil-A in Orlando, a friend of my SIL's and her hubby. Turns out he hires "those kind of people" and doesn't even proselytize to/at them. A real gem of a guy there. :rolleyes: Heck, he'd probably even hire a Steelers fan. :ermm: :ohmy:

Whoa. Just having some fun -- although I can not for the life of me figure out the appeal of Chick-fil-a. Millions of people seem to like it, but I just never got it.

CD

I feel a need to clarify... I was too defensive in my last post.

I do not like the position of Chick-fil-a's CEO. But, I am not "boycotting" them. I didn't eat there long before he made his homophobic statements. The food is bland, and way overpriced. 3 bucks and change for a tiny piece of greasy chicken on a bun with two pickles? Seriously? Waffle fries with zero seasoning that taste like cardboard?

For the same 3-bucks and change, you can get a Whataburger with cheese, lettuce, onions, pickles and your choice of mayo or mustard. Add a side of properly seasoned fries, and the best ketchup you will ever taste.

CD

I drove to a KFC this Saturday for dinner. What happened to that franchise? The colonel would be cussing in his grave if he had what I had tonight. He was known to cuss the hell outta employees who didn't get it cooked right, and rightfully so.

I feel a need to clarify... I was too defensive in my last post.
Wasn't your first time; won't be your last. ;)

The food is bland, and way overpriced. 3 bucks and change for a tiny piece of greasy chicken on a bun with two pickles? Seriously? Waffle fries with zero seasoning that taste like cardboard?
And that is SO different from most every meal I've had at any number of C-F-As. I say "most" since I sometimes order a salad. Maybe they just don't put the same effort into TX chicken sandwiches because, you know, BEEF, it's what's for dinner. BTW, you know that if you want more pickles than chicken, just ask. They're happy to give you extra.

For the same 3-bucks and change, you can get a Whataburger...
No, I can't. I haven't a clue where the nearest Whataburger is, but there are none anywhere around where I live or we travel. A trip to TX just to try their beef (my third or fourth favorite protein) isn't in my plans.

We normally don't eat at fast food restaurants, mostly when we travel and want a quick meal. We're talking probably no more often than once a year. We've always had good food at The Chick, and we know that their restaurants are among the cleanest in the fast-food industry. Clean, in cooking, is a good thing.

Which restaurant chains are winning at cleanliness? I'll save you the slideshow: 3=Firehouse Subs, 2=Culver's, 1=Chick-Fil-A.

You call the regional manager of a national restaurant chain and you hear her child babbling in the backround while she hears your concerns.

Last edited:

And that is SO different from most every meal I've had at any number of C-F-As. I say "most" since I sometimes order a salad. Maybe they just don't put the same effort into TX chicken sandwiches because, you know, BEEF, it's what's for dinner. BTW, you know that if you want more pickles than chicken, just ask. They're happy to give you extra.

No, I can't. I haven't a clue where the nearest Whataburger is, but there are none anywhere around where I live or we travel. A trip to TX just to try their beef (my third or fourth favorite protein) isn't in my plans.

We normally don't eat at fast food restaurants, mostly when we travel and want a quick meal. We're talking probably no more often than once a year. We've always had good food at The Chick, and we know that their restaurants are among the cleanest in the fast-food industry. Clean, in cooking, is a good thing.

Which restaurant chains are winning at cleanliness? I'll save you the slideshow: 3=Firehouse Subs, 2=Culver's, 1=Chick-Fil-A.

You need to make a trip to Texas with Himself. I will buy you a Whataburger. We can go get some authentic TexMex, too.

I don't eat much fast food, either. Well, not when I am home. On the road, I sometimes have to because I don't have time to eat a good meal, and certainly can't cook a meal.

The only fast food I get a craving for is Whataburger. Although, it isn't totally fast food, because everything is cooked when you order it. It may take a little time to get your food. But, they give you a number thingy, and they bring your food to your table.

Whataburger is to Texans what In-and-Out Burger is to Californians. It is a burger institution.

I have no grudge against Chic-fi-a, I just didn't get the memo. It just doesn't appeal to me.

CD

I've only been to Chick-Fil-A twice, both times were road trips with my daughter and grandsons. CG, I also liked them and found them to be the furthest thing from greasy. Crispy outside and tender inside, and full of flavor. As far as no sauces (mayo, etc.) I'm good with that because I always go very light on condiments on any kind of burger.

I've never eaten at Whataburger, but I've heard the chain has a lot of fans.

I've only been to Chick-Fil-A twice, both times were road trips with my daughter and grandsons. CG, I also liked them and found them to be the furthest thing from greasy. Crispy outside and tender inside, and full of flavor. As far as no sauces (mayo, etc.) I'm good with that because I always go very light on condiments on any kind of burger.

I've never eaten at Whataburger, but I've heard the chain has a lot of fans.

Looks like we posted at the same time. As I posted, Whataburger is to us what In-and-Out Burger is to you folks in California.

CD

Posting the same time as you, Casey. :LOL: Yes, In n Out also doesn't start making the burgers until they're ordered. They don't have microwaves or heat lamps. Sounds like Whataburger is pretty much the same.

I also rarely have fast food but as you say, once in a while on road trips we'll grab something quick.

Very interesting. Unfortunately for me, I only have McDonald's and Burger King available to me. I will never go to McD's. The police are constantly there arresting drug dealers. They are located very close to Lewis Mall where my health clinic is.

Mind if I chime in on In and Out fries? Hehe...cardboard texture and taste.

I have mixed feelings about In-and-out fries. I like that they are fresh cut, but that can sometimes lead to soggy fries. You really have to eat them fast. They don't have much of a shelf life.

Whataburger fries are pretty good, but not outstanding. But, Whataburger's ketchup is amazing. You can even buy it in a few select grocery stores down here. They have a regular version and a signature spicy ketchup.

I get fries on the side just for the ketchup. :LOL:

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom