"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-19-2005, 03:38 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

As any gracious and lovely hostess would! Having two dogs, we provide free dog hair as part of the experience.

Old 08-19-2005, 04:23 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
I was raised in the south and I think it is probably that one of the first things I ask guests is "Have you eaten". Then I make something to eat. If they have eaten or not.

That and providing a calm, friendly atmosphere.

Bryan

Old 08-19-2005, 04:33 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I had to laugh about the dog hair...us too.
I agree with the things all have said here. I've made all the mistakes too. DH and I love having people around, and we ofen have a houseful. Lots of our friends are from other countries, so it's always an interesting mix. My eldest daughter said something nice to me, though...she said her friends actually spoke about this and they agreed that our house is the most welcoming (to them), and they really enjoy coming to visit and meeting our friends. That felt good.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:34 PM   #14
Everymom

Wow Sandyj, high praise indeed! Kids know where they are accepted and where they are just tolerated. How wonderful to know you have the kind of place where everyone wants to return.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:34 PM   #15
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
As any gracious and lovely hostess would! Having two dogs, we provide free dog hair as part of the experience.
LOL We couldn't wear black clothes for 14 years (that is how long we had our dog Baby!)

Barbara
Old 08-19-2005, 04:37 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

That is highly gratifying, Sandyj. I overheard my daughter and her friends agreeing the other day that daughter has a "cool dad." He is the principal chaperone for the many basement parties around here.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:58 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Yes, I wish I could remember who told me that people came to see ME not my clean house. And that a hostess who actually visits with her guests is remembered more than one who has an immaculate kitchen. I tried to karma you pdswife, but I have to spread the love first!
Well, karma thoughts are just as nice!! Thank you!
Old 08-19-2005, 05:00 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Good for you mudbug! May it always be that way! You'd be surprised (or, sadly, maybe you wouldn't because you've seen it, too) how many parents don't want the kids around.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:03 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh no. They can grind all the chips they want into the carpet. Spill drinks everywhere. Forget their shoes until next week. At least I know where they are!
Old 08-19-2005, 10:05 PM   #20
Head Chef

When my son was growing up I would always rather he be home with his friends than elsewhere so I generally had a housefull! One of his friends would even clean the house for me occasionally! What a treat!

I agree with the not cleaning up part - sometimes I have to staple my MIL into her seat but that is something I like to do alone. And, funny thing, the guests leave but the dishes have never put themselves away!