"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Jkath, I love the idea of "humidor" perfume, I would snap that up in an instant. The smokey, warm scent of good tobacco (pipe/cigar) is one of my very favourite smells of all time.

I love the scent of fresh laundry that has been dried on the line, that might make a neat perfume. Or what about chcocolate? Would it make the wearer to hungry having to smell that all day?

When I was a in middle school and juniour high I would sometimes put a dab of vanilla extract on my wrists, because there was no money for real perfume. It actually smelt pretty, and I recall being asked a few times, what scent I was wearing

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:43 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

piccolina, i have always loved the smell of a pipe, since my uncles smoked them at family parties when i was young.
and cigars are an extremely guilty pleasure. a great dinner, exquisite dessert, a snifter and a cuban in a comfortable chair is nearly nirvana.
unfortunately, for health and stink reasons, i don't smoke much anymore.

i have a chacom pipe that i've broken out again recently, and enjoy on special occasions. now i need to find some good vanilla or black cherry tobacco.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:19 AM   #13
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
oh, I would buy up any scent or candle that smelled like a pipe. I smell the aroma of cherry vanilla pipe tobacco, and have to look around in hopes of catching a glimpse of my beloved grandpa...

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:24 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
piccolina, i have always loved the smell of a pipe, since my uncles smoked them at family parties when i was young.
and cigars are an extremely guilty pleasure. a great dinner, exquisite dessert, a snifter and a cuban in a comfortable chair is nearly nirvana.
unfortunately, for health and stink reasons, i don't smoke much anymore.

i have a chacom pipe that i've broken out again recently, and enjoy on special occasions. now i need to find some good vanilla or black cherry tobacco.
My first memorable whifts of the aromatic delight which is good pipe tobacco came from a very elderly neighbour that lived on our street when I was a little girl. He was a wonderful, slighlty eccentric old (like about 85) French gentleman who would sit out on his porch (they lived about 5 houses down from us) and smoke his pipe. It's woodsy, vanilla scent drifting down the street to my young nose. I was hooked instantly.

Much like yourself Bucky, I would list the odd, excellent cigar as one of my secret indulgences, though the number has dwindled due to my health as well. Chacom pipes are lovely, what type do you have? I don't smoke a pipe really, but I like a slight curve in pipes (not to a comical Sherlock Holmes level) that some of the Charcom pipes have. As well all of the Charcoms have that fantastic aged briar wood which is so elegant.

Quote:
oh, I would buy up any scent or candle that smelled like a pipe.
That is really good idea Shannon, I would love a candle that smelt of sweet tobacco as well - if I ever encounter one I will let you know

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:18 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Cigars = grandpas. Nuff said.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #16
Hospitality Queen

There is a candle scent that is black cherry sweet tobacco!
It's used by many candle makers - do a google search and you'll find it!
Old 01-11-2006, 05:12 PM   #17
Head Chef

There's nothing like two fingers of Lagavulin 16-year and a maduro LaGloria Cubana wavell. That's a smell that gets on your clothes and in your hair, lingers and never fails to please.

I prefer mine on the porch of the condo we like to rent in Kiawah Island, SC, but I'll take one on my back porch in the foothills of Tennessee just as happily.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:42 PM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I would love a sauted basil / garlic perfume!