"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Wow, good job, DaveSoMD! Looks very nice!
I wish I was that handy.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD
Hmmmmmm pretty much anything DIY: carpentry, construction, painting, roofing, basic electric like replacing sockets, basic plumbing. This the shed that we designed and I built a few years ago in our backyard.
Gorgeous! What are you charging for rent?

Old 06-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #33
Master Chef

DaveSoMd.....That's a great looking shed! Looks like a nice bungalow one can comfortably live in. I would, if I were single, with my girl friend.

I just completed a 'shed' also, but this one has a roll off roof which opens up completely to expose the night sky. This shed houses my telescope mounted on a permanent concrete pier.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #34
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
DaveSoMd.....That's a great looking shed! Looks like a nice bungalow one can comfortably live in. I would, if I were single, with my girl friend.

I just completed a 'shed' also, but this one has a roll off roof which opens up completely to expose the night sky. This shed houses my telescope mounted on a permanent concrete pier.
That sounds way cool! A rolling roof!! This is 16' x 16' but 4' worth is taken up by the porch (we didn't want to look at a giant flat wall all the time so that's why the porch). It actually would make a nice mountain cabin for sure. I love sitting on the porch in the summer having morning coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Gorgeous! What are you charging for rent?
Yard work and pet sitting. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolledeig View Post
Wow, good job, DaveSoMD! Looks very nice!
I wish I was that handy.
Just takes a good instructor, practice, and most importantly confidence and most people really can be handy.

Thanks everyone! All them years of school and doing theatre really paid off on that project! (Mmm no hammer smiley.. )
Old 06-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #35
Half Baked

That shed in the woods would go for about 250k around here.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #36
Master Chef

I, too, had a first house (actually a townhouse in Hawaii) where we put down wooden floors, built a small deck (not really, a platform more), other flooring, all the interior paint that we could reach on a ladder (we had an open staircase that needed scaffolding, drew the line there). The house we owned after that was brand-new, we lived there for 6 years, and it never really needed anything until the end of the time we had it. Here, though, the house is 160 years old, and after trying to DIY and realizing even the simplest of paint jobs often wind up uncovering deeper problems, decided years ago to just save up and get it done by the pros. We have a good general contractor we go for big jobs where we (I) insist on having someone registered, bonded, etc. Not only is the built-in insurance an issue, the general contractor knows enough about everything that he comes by and inspects when we wouldn't know if the roofing job, for example, was good unless it rained. He always does things like in the example, he told the roofers to take the leftover shingles we'd paid for anyway and re-roof the potting shed, that we'd paid enough for another day's work.

What we were doing when we first moved here, and tried to DIY, was finding out the job was beyond our (little) expertise, and after buying what we thought was the right stuff, we'd wind up being unable to finish, then paying double; the DIY price and then the professionals.

Another issue was that when we did the townhouse, the jobs were smaller. But the real biggie was that I wasn't working and my husband was still on active duty. He's been retired for quite awhile now, and he has very little patience left. It used to be that I had 60+ hours a week, and sometimes entire days, to do things the way I saw fit. He never complained. But when he works, every little slip is a swearing, angry crisis. When I do something myself, he can think of a better way I should do it. He never complained about the results if he wasn't around to see how I do it.

So, thank heaven for the pros. We have a set of them. Our general contractor. A friend who is very handy does jobs that are eternal in an ever-so-old house. Now if we could just find an electrician (our favorite retired!) for minor wiring jobs!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
....LOL....I believe it. That same shed on my street would go for about 200K on a tiny 50' x 50' lot.....lol..
Old 06-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #38
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
....LOL....I believe it. That same shed on my street would go for about 200K on a tiny 50' x 50' lot.....lol..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post

DANG... I need to sub-divide my back yard!!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD

DANG... I need to sub-divide my back yard!!!!
That's it. We're all moving in!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
That's it. We're all moving in!
I'm wondering if there is room for the girls?