Housewarming party help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kat

Assistant Cook
my boyfriend and i are having a housewarming party next saturday and i'm trying to figure out a list of food to make and how much to make. we're doing a really casual barbeque buffet type thing. so far i've come up with this for a food list:
Sloppy Joe's
Buffalo Wings
Baked Beans
Potato Salad
Deviled Eggs
Chips
Pickles
Taco Dip
Salsa
Fruit Salad
Veggies and Dip
Brownies

there are about 30 people or so confirmed to come, probably another twenty or so that are undecided and may show up last minute. anyone have any advice on how much to make of everything? i am really bad at grossly overestimating how much food to make for a crowd of people :rolleyes: , and with only two of us at home we're gonna have a hard time eating alot of leftovers before it goes bad. thanks alot for the help :)

What time should I be there? :LOL: That sounds great!

I don't know how much of everything to cook but if guests are starting to leave and you still have a lot of food leftover, send some leftovers home with them. That way you're not eating sloppy joes for the next month. :-p

I'm also an overestimater...but I don't usually mind. I'd rather have too much than not enough. Sending leftovers home with people is usually the best bet (and if there are any singles coming, they are usually more than happy to comply!).

30 people is a lot! You should make enough sloppy joes to handle 2 sandwiches per person. Though not everyone will eat 2, if there are hungry, strapping men (or women like me!) with big appetites, you will have plenty to satisfy them! I like to make my sloppy joes in a crock pot. If you don't have one big enough, maybe you can borrow a second one from a neighbor (and invite them to the party!).

Hope that helps!

I'd make another dessert also...just incase one or two of your guests don't care for brownies ( or chocolate).

Congrats on your new home!!! Most house-warmings I have been to, many guests bring something to eat also (I always brought something that could be eaten by the hosts later if not served at the party); you might want to consider that too.

thanks everyone :) we actually got the house a week before christmas, but it was a bit of a fixer-upper, so we've been working on a few things that needed to be replaced before we brought people over. wanted to do it in the spring actually, but some stuff wasn't done yet and the bf didn't want to do a party for some reason.
that's a good idea to send food home with people, there are going to be several large bachelor guys that will come so i'll send some home with them, i don't think they get much home cooking, or anything that doesn't come out of a box :LOL: maybe i'll do an apple crisp too, that's fairly easy for the non chocolate eaters (they exist?). made sloppy joe's a few nights ago and i think we got about six sandwiches out of a pound of hamburger, so i'll multiply from there. cool cool.

I cannot believe I missed this one, because I'm the queen of housewarming parties. I've moved more times than I can count, and I always throw one. Sometimes with no furniture in the house (honest-to-God, I've held a BYO furniture party, where everyone brought their old folding porch chairs & such). I'm too late for yours, but for those who are thinking of it:

ALWAYs invite anyone who may be disturbed by the parking or noise disruptions. ALWAYS. People who live on each side, upstairs and downstairs get an invite.

If you don't have real furniture, do what I mentioned above, or buy some really cheap pillows (and yes, bed pillows will do) for the floor.

el cheapo bottles of wine and beer are OK for this kind of party.

Your food ideas were great -- something you can make in big batches for not much money.

Many of my freinds don't quite "get" the idea of throwing a housewarming party. They are wonderful. Low expectations. Lots of gifts. Always very bohemian. One time I actually moved near my mother, and she, after her first shock, was delighted with the idea. Some of you may not have the courage to do this, but I'm not kidding about inviting the totally stranger neighbors. I always did.

Back
Top Bottom