"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-25-2005, 01:54 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
p.s. I pretty much agree against using weights with aerobics, especially leg weights. I have used hand weights when walking, but really feel the benefits are better if you use one, then the other. It is so easy to injure yourself using weights with aerobic activity.
I agree with Claire.

Old 10-07-2005, 10:43 AM   #22
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Here's a site I've found very helpful

http://www.akard.com/
Ooooh he's cute!!!

I've started doing weights this year, I have someone else's shoulders and arms now, my old flabby things have gone, if only my lower body responded as well to training, ah well.

All those exercises suggested will help. I love the tricep dips (you can do them on the arm of a sturdy chair, best if you get soemone to sit in it for stability!!!) and I love lunges for legs and bum, and squats. If you can invest in a fitball as someone else has suggested, there are so many things you can do on it to help your tummy and back. I love the fitball. I use mine at the gym, and don't care how fat or silly I look!!!

The biggest tips for weights I can give you is "smile", look confident and you will start to feel confident. breathe, enjoy the feeling of your body working, and don't feel intimidated and don't rush. Change is a s.l.o.w. process, and you just have to work with your body til you get where you want to be. Nothing good ever came easy.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:10 AM   #23
Master Chef

I have a 70 year old friend who joined me at my exercise class, telling me it was the first time she worked out. Now that's brave! We started her with 2 and 3 pound weights. I really wish more women would learn that weights are our freinds.

Remember that some outdoor activity, even when the weather isn't nice and sunny, is a great help if you're prone to depression. There are times when you don't have much choice but to use an indoor machine. But try to get outside for some activity several times a week if your health alows. Even if you don't feel like you're receiving sunshine, you are, and it is a real depression-fighter. For us women going "through the change" that outside time can help keep you keep you away the anti-depressents and sleeping pills. It isn't a total panacea, but it does help.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:58 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Outside

I can't remember if I said that I exercised in the cemetery and that they said I should not come if it wasn't for the right reason. Well, I asked the owner and he said he finds no fault with me since I have my family and my own plot up there. So now the guy who has the equipment that digs the graves drives behind me and at times has forced me to use the ground instead of the road. He has come so close to me trying to impress upon me he doesn't like me being there. He doesn't like his job and having me around must annoy him more. I mainly go there because of the high hills and most importantly no traffic except for his grave digger. He used to take his car and scare me now he uses this thing. If I mention it to the owner, he may do something worse. I do not know why I attract all the troublemakers. Can't people just leave each other alone? Getting outside is great if there weren't mean people. My friends all go to clubs which I find nothing wrong with if you like that. What would you do?
Old 10-10-2005, 02:47 AM   #25
Master Chef

Oh, ITC, you gave me a good laugh. When I was on the road for a few years, a couple of times I used cemetaries as a nice parks to walk through. When I was young, for many years, Arlington Cemetary was a regular spot for walks. Where I now live, there's an old cemetary that is a favorite spot for people to walk their dogs. No one has ever disapproved of it, and I always think of myself has having friendly spirits to keep me company.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:43 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
I can't remember if I said that I exercised in the cemetery and that they said I should not come if it wasn't for the right reason. Well, I asked the owner and he said he finds no fault with me since I have my family and my own plot up there. So now the guy who has the equipment that digs the graves drives behind me and at times has forced me to use the ground instead of the road. He has come so close to me trying to impress upon me he doesn't like me being there. He doesn't like his job and having me around must annoy him more. I mainly go there because of the high hills and most importantly no traffic except for his grave digger. He used to take his car and scare me now he uses this thing. If I mention it to the owner, he may do something worse. I do not know why I attract all the troublemakers. Can't people just leave each other alone? Getting outside is great if there weren't mean people. My friends all go to clubs which I find nothing wrong with if you like that. What would you do?
Claire, I really fail to see the humor in the senario. The guy in the cemetery tried to run me over with a dump truck today. i called the police they said after I tell the owner about it and if he doesn't do anything then they will have to handle it. If someone is trying to do bodily harm they are not obeying the law. Working in the cemetery and trying to harrass someone are not the same thing. i am really fearful and know that he does not have the right to try to keep me out of there. The owner comes in on the weekends from Chicago and I will speak to him the next time he is there, if I see him. As I said before, why can't people just leave each other alone?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:06 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

To: In the kitchen.
You said you were going to try these exercises to see if they help. You will have to be patient. A lot of people give up after weeks or months of exercising because they don't see the results they want soon enough and think it's not working. I know from experience. Don't give up. You will eventually see results.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:03 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Von Glassoff

Thanks for your encouragement. It doesn't seem like it is making big difference. Only notice that the muscles seem sore so I guess they are trying to change the way I hope they will. I drove by Club Fitness last night and no place to park on the lot. I wanted to wash clothes at laundromat there. Looked like t here was ballgame going on. Do you really think t hey work over long haul? don't you have to continue to go the rest of your life? I really wonder if they will be going next year. I remember my brothers going to work out when I was young. They worked out in the back yard too. More interested in gymnastics though. Where do you exercise?
Old 10-12-2005, 05:27 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

I exercise at home. A few years ago I was a member of a gym and went consistantly for 2 years. I was in good shape before I started going and in great shape while going. After 2 yrs. I quit. For a lot of reasons. It wasn't because I didn't like to exercise. I could work a whole day and go to the gym and feel like I could work another day that evening. But when I quit my body for some reason got worse looking than it ever did. Maybe I should have quit gradually. Anyhow a couple of years ago I started exercising on a regular basis to help strenghthen my back. I got up every morning and started doing stretches and then strenghtening. I started adding movements for all of my body and then I added aerobic exercise. When I get through with that, I get on the treadmill or go out for a walk. I started losing weight and inches. People started asking me what was I doing to lose weight. I told them about exercising and also I quit eating past 7pm. My back is so much better. I had to buy smaller clothes. I love to exercise with music. I play music I have stored on my computer and I have some great speakers with a subwoofer. I have always loved 80's music and my favorite song to exercise with is by Loverboy called Working for the Week-end. Do you remember that group? I really get my arms and legs moving and I have better shaped arms and legs & I do not mind letting them show. I found that exercising with music helps alot. I don't always feel like exercising but I just make myself. There are a lot of things in life we don't feel like doing but we do them. Like paying my electric bill. I don't feel like doing that but I do anyhow. Faithfulness. That is the key. It takes a long time to see the difference but it is worth the results. The exercises that were recommended on this thread are very good. Be careful not to over do it and get too sore because then you want to quit. When I get sore I just stretch that muscle. It helps it feel better. Drink lots of water. That helps too.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:57 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Great!

All these comments are so positive. Sure uplifting. Von Glassoff you have your life in order don't you? Your words sure encouraged me and I thank you for sharing and taking time to describe. I don't recall the music you workout with. I am sure going to copy your message and try to find it. Must be really good. I have CD by Tina Turner that I listen to. Whenever I hear it I think I should be up moving around. You never mentioned if you have weights or not? Since going to the gym everyday I am sure you remember most of the moves to do them at home. What kind of exercise you do for your legs, the inner thighs? My friend said can't do anything about it. An age thing. Happy you took interest in this topic. I am grateful to all who comment. I just can't believe how many people run to the gym when you can do the same at home. To get results, should make you more pleased. I am happy for you. I have to hang your comments on my wall. They will help when i don't feel like moving! Have good day.