How can I tone underarm and upper thigh areas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Book

Claire, I do believe you have 'been' there and more! You should write a book about people walking. Sure informed me about things not aware of. As I said, being harassed by a guy with dirt digger is one thing I never thought I would experience. I only wish I could warn some of the people that go up there regularly. This is whole new and different world to me with this exercise thing. I can honestly say people just can't stand each other when they try to frustrate them with attempting to improve themselves. I know I can count on the people here for support but why can't I find the same kind of people in public? I have tried going to high school track only to have a woman and her male friend start making comments about the outfits I wore. I walked in the clothes I knew where loose and didn't care if they got washed everyday but they had matching outfits. Everyday got too much when it only continued. Went to another track and had some guy trying to ask me out. When I said no he just persisted in coming and asking why? I know these things are personal but do you think I am at fault here? That why the street is place I don't get personal comments only maybe have someone on cell phone not see me. Those phones are another problem. Driving behind someone on the phone is dangerous. Think there are just too many unhappy people? I was raised to 'mind my own business' not to be concerned about what someone else does. Why can't others consider the same? In this life, you have to be tough. Only when they start entering your space does it start to bother you. Thanks for your time. Oh, thanks for the suggestions they are sure help to me.

In the kitchen,

Do not worry about people making fun of you by what you are wearing. You are exercising for Pete's sake!!!!! When I first went to the gym I was too shy to wear those outfits that the other ladies were wearing. I wore a light weight pair of sweat pants and a baggy T-shirt. After about 4 months I was able to wear those gym outfits. I think people were surprised when I first walked in with one on. But I had to get comfortable with the gym scene and confident about my body. I am a Christian and I don't want to wear what everyone else is wearing most of the time anyhow. We have some other places around town to exercise that is more family oriented.
I appreciated those tips on walking myself. After almost a year of walking the same path one morning someone had a dog loose in their yard. It charged me and began snarling and snapping viciously but never actually bit me. I already had my heart rate up from all of my previous exercise before my walk and I thought my heart was coming out of my chest. I did not run. I turned and faced the dog and slowly walked away. My situation turned out better than most of those. Most people get bit. Thankfully we have laws where I live and my husband reported it and the animal shelter patrolman went to their home and said if it happened one more time they would be fined. My husband said to carry pepper spray. That would work for people and dogs. I am still afraid to walk that route and now when I hear dogs even behind fences my heart rate goes up.

Von Glassoff

Glad you are reading our thread. Claire did post a thorough explanation about walking. Happy your appreciated it too. My brother, who is natural animal lover of all kinds even owls, birds, and squirrels had a terrifying incident with Rottweiler of neighbor. He said the dog got out of the yard and he was trying to coax it back into the yard. He did get it in the yard but when he went to close the gate it grabbed his arm and would not let go. He had neighbor who came with 2x4 and hit it so it would let go. He had total of 48 stitches put in his arm but they were worried he was losing so much blood. It has left him so terrified of dogs. My dogs are schnauzers and shih zu and he always wants to make sure I am here before he comes in. They have never done anything to him but are happy to see him and he acts afraid. I can't blame you for avoiding some area like that. You have fear that you experienced and you want to avoid it. No one can blame you but it is definitely not your fault. People are just neglectful and innocent people suffer the consquences.

About my attire, thanks for your understanding. I don't see why people purposely want to cause someone distress when they are not doing something to provoke it. I often wonder why women dress the way they do when it can bring problems. Thankful you are trying to lead by good example of proper attire. Why the parents don't do something about their children is another problem I have. They do dress so revealing.

I guess walking at the track is the only solution I have right now cause I sure don't want to give it up. The benefits of feeling limber and fit is too important. I wish you all a safe and successful walk wherever you go. Again thanks for sharing. It indeed does help.

I used to live near a school track and I always felt safe walking there. It was completely fenced in, you could close the gate. Didn't have to worry about dogs or cars.

Tried that

That is where the guy and girl started talking about my outfits. Then another track the guy didn't understand why I said no when he wanted to go someplace. People! You think you find someplace where people are civil and then in the cemetery the guy who works there gets obnoxious. I have to drive at least 10 miles to another track but it is worth it if I get left alone. I will be sure to let you know. I caNn't suffer in silence. thanks for understanding and your time. Just be careful of dogs. I love them all but you don't know if they like you.

Claire said:
If you have to walk on the street, without sidewalks, I have a few hints to make it safer. I add here that I have done it all over the country, on all kinds of roads, and it can be very dangerous.

#1 is most often unknown. Pedestrians are supposed to walk FACING THE TRAFFIC, on the left side of the road. This way both you and the driver know that you see the car.

#2. If you use a walkman (and I always did), keep it low enough that you can hear the cars coming up behind you.

#3. Wear something bright and highly visible. Yellow is one of the most visible colors on the road. I don't care if beige, black and gray are your normal wardrobe colors. Give it up for something people can really see, even neons.

#4. This one can save your life ... if a car is approaching you, and you hear one coming up behind you (the reason for the walkman being low if you use one) on a narrow road, stop walking for a second and step aside. Chances are neither driver will see you because they're distracted by each other.

#5. Use all personal safety measures that you know about. Never assume a dog you meet is freindly, no matter what an animal lover you are. Look all people full in the face and say hello (don't act like a victim, but a strong, confident person). Stay in well-lit areas if you have to go out after dark. If you do, carry a flashlight, there are all kinds of those now that are easy to carry, strap on a belt, etc.

#6 is one I ignored terribly, but is important. When you go out walking by yourself in an area where people may not know you, find a way to attach some kind of ID to your person. It should have as a minimum your name (write it in your clothes with a sharpie, if nothing else). There are tags you can put in your shoes that have other important info.

Excellent suggestions. May I add some--carry a cell phone if you have one and can get a signal, if possible let someone know what route you plan to take and what time you expect to be back.

I'm really sorry that you've had such negative experiences, ITK. I really have walked all over the country when we were on the road, and did have a few bad ones. In some places, I swear, they honestly seem to believe that if you aren't in a car you don't belong out in public. Ironically, places that have a reputation as being very health oriented were some of the worst. For example, in Colorado I had guys in pickup trucks play "chicken" with me on their way to work -- aim the truck right at me until I jumped into a ditch at the side of the road. I didn't realize that I was walking through the territory of the Aryan Nation in Idaho once and everywhere I tried to walk there were rottweilers hitting very flimsy fences barking and snarling at me. I've accidentally walked through shooting ranges and hunting grounds (doesn't take me long to recognise a bullet!). But I've never run into some of the mean-spirited people (snide comments about your clothes?) you seem to have on a regular basis. 90% of the places I've walked were wonderful.

No, I haven't written a book ('though I've been asked to) but did just finish writing a two-part column about walking on the road!

Appreciate

Claire, There are people who will read your comments and be grateful. This society today has convinced me that I can't worry about what they think. Consideration and respect are in the past. I am sorry if I sound bitter. The doctor thinks I am depressed from condition I have. I told him I believe it is just the average person who doesn't want to understand or take time to know them. He told me to increase my depression pills! Hence, that is why I am attempting to walk to limit the amount of pills he prescribes. Does everyone have to have pills to live in this life? I don't think so. There are natural ways of surviving.Once again I thank you Claire for taking the time to detail the ways of walking for exercise. Truly helps.

I must admit the clothes I wear are loose so when I sweat I don't feel it as much. They are some of my brothers shorts and his t shirts. Maybe that is the problem they aren't tight. At least I am wearing something.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom