"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-20-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
Executive Chef

How can I tone underarm and upper thigh areas?

Since I am the only one who really notices this, I am going to jump out here and ask! I have been doing all kinds of exercises, but none of them ever seem to tone the underarms or upper thighs. I don't have personal trainer who would pinpoint these areas. I do notice when I see people on tv their upper arms are the same as mine. When I wear short sleeves I notice that that part is not firm as it once was. Is this something to do with age you think? Oprah has the same problem and yet I know she has the best trainor around. Does anyone know of some exercise that would help with these areas? And have you had what you would feel success? Also does the weight you have around the middle from having children ever go away or is this were surgeons come in?

Old 09-20-2005, 11:42 AM   #2
Hospitality Queen

yes, the babay weight goes away! You just need to do proper crunches on your abs.

As for the upper arms, here's something you can do at home in front of the TV:
Buy 4 hand weights (Target has some), 2 that are 5 pounds, 2 that are 10 pounds.
Don't use the 10s till you're used to the 5s!
1. Stand, with a weight in each hand. Keeping your upper arms parallel to the floor, and your lower arms perpendicular to the floor (so your arms are at a 90 degree angle), start by going from this position to extending your arms completely over your head and touching together. This will form a triangle, if you are doing it correctly. Try it in front of a mirror to get the hang of it. Do this 20 times.
2. Stand, with a weight in each hand. With elbows straight, lift your arms till they're parallel to the ground (you'll look like an airplane). Hold this position for 3 seconds, and then slowlly return to parallel to your body. Do this 20 times.
3. Stand, with a weight in each hand, and extend your arms, like an airplane. From this position, bend your elbows, so that the weights touch high, in front of your chest. Do this 20 times.

Repeat these exercises 3 times. Remember to breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth!
I'll try to explain more later on, but this is a good start!

Good luck!

Old 09-20-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
Cook

Please don't ever go to a surgeon for cosmetic purposes, the less you're under the knife the better! I have a cousin who is a very successful cosmetic surgeon and he thinks it's ridiculous himself! Anyway, have you tried doing tricep excersizes? Take a dumbell (even 5lbs is fine) and (follow along here) bend over at the waist to form a 90 degree angle between your torso and legs. Place one hand on something to support you. With the other arm have your upper arm parallel to the ground (sortof behind you) and bring your lower arm back until your arm is fully extended. GO SLOW! The slower you do excersizes the more benefit you get from them IMHO. I've worked with quite a few people who wanted to get rid of the "underarm swing" and this was very successful. I have also worked with others where this did nothing for them except strengthen their triceps. Anyway, worth a shot. For upper thighs, have you tried doing any adductor/abductor excersizes? I would recommend going to a gym and using their machines for these excersizes, they seem to be the most effective. If you have a physio-ball (yoga ball) you can also squeeze the ball between your knees, again going slowly especially on the relaxation portion of the excersize. That will work the muscles between your legs (the adductors) and to work those on the outside of your legs sit in a chair about a foot from the wall (so you are parallel with the wall, not perpendicular) and put the physioball between you and the wall and press out with your knee compressing the ball between your knee and the wall. These are some of the more simple things I thought of, I'm sure there are many more people with different opinions and maybe something that will work better for you! Everybody is different!

Last thing, if you are working out or trying to lose weight the absolute best thing I have ever come across is .................. drink more water! Seriously, drink between 1-1.5 gallons of water per day or more! This will boost your metabolism, boost digestion (better conversion of foods in your intestines) increase energy and a slough of other benefits.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:56 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
here are some more exercises targeted for triceps (side, back part of the upper arm just below shoulder)...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...ip=&order=Name

In addition to the advices of jkath, try to vary the speed of the motion in each sets, (i.e. super slow, 4 counts each up and down, 2 counts each, or 1 up 3 down etc...) make sure to always control your motion, never use the momentum and swing the weights around.
Also if flabs are issue, you need to incorporate some aerobic activity to control your body fat percentage. There are some fun group exercises (also you can do alone with a video... space in your home permitting), biking, jogging, swimming... unfortunately there is no such thing as "spot reducing", and you have to train your entire body not just one part. It will take sometime, but don't get frustrated if you don't see the change over night. Make the exercise enjoyable (put on your favourite, motivating tunes on the back ground, bring in a friend...), the more fun the training is, the more likely you will stick with it, and that is the absolute key!! Good luck 2 ya!!
Old 09-20-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
Head Chef

Don't forget to do your cardio in addition to the weight/strength training that others recommended.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:05 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Wow

Geez, this is giving me something to experiment with. Didn't think I would get any response as exercise is something people don't care to really think about. They are different than just regular push ups that I thought was cure all. I will give them a try and see if I am not past help. There are times when I want to scotch tape the excess to make it seem less but the tape wouldn't hold. I thank you all for the time and happy you all know what to do. I knew someone out there has success.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
Master Chef

Here's a site I've found very helpful

http://www.akard.com/
Old 09-20-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
Hospitality Queen

In total agreement with the cardio!
You ought to balance your training, so you have cardio one day, arms the next, legs the next, and back to cardio.
PS: something to do regularly: every single time you go to the market, the mall, movies, etc...park as far away as you can. This will force you to walk much more than usual. Sometimes I'll park in the back corner of the lot, and take the long way around. Put a pedometer on the waist of your pants and see how much you walk. (Make sure to set it accurately before you start) And, each day, try to increase your mileage.

And, most importantly, keep us up on your progress. Having a bunch of people to cheer you on is really motivational!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:43 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Sizz 'n jkath

I feel so grateful that you both take the time to respond to my dilemma. Yet at the same time I feel I am worth it. We all want to maintain our health and that is our goal here. To eat right and most of all exercise the best way we can. I appreciate your thoughts and time and want you to know I am not taking this attention for granted. Only a way to help each other go from one day to the next.

Sizz, you are in my thoughts and prayers always. Be STRONG and know that 'this too shall pass' jkath, I always look to your posts for helpful and well meaning exercise workouts. Thankful you so conscious of maintaining discipline of workouts which I know isn't easy.

It is truly gift to have friends who want to help. Thank you all so much.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:29 PM   #10
Sous Chef

My concern is that depending on you current level of strength the 5s may be too much to start. Be sure your form is correct to reduce the chance of injury.