"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

How did you come by your user name?

Spike recently asked me how did I come up with the name 'Addie.' He didn't ever remember anyone calling me that while he was growing up.

I was reading one of those hard cover Reader's Digest books and the main character in it was named Adelaide. But everyone in the story called her Addie. Perfect! I never had a nick name as a kid. So I decided that if anyone ever asked me what I was called as a child, I would use Addie.

I belonged to the old Food Network Food forum. My name there was akr. A hard name to pronounce. Someone asked me what they could call me besides akr. I immediately typed Addie. One of the other ladies thanked me for sharing that name. She had just recently lost her mother and her name was Addie also. We became very good friends.

The akr is the first three letters of my email address. I had to have a professional sounding email as I often received my assignments via email from my agency. Poo came up with my email address. So Addie I became and remain.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I said something smart-alecky to my best friend and she called me an Ogre, it grew from there and Shrek was roped into the farce, just because.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Andy M.

My name is significant because it indicates my real identity. I am Dorothy's Auntie Em (Andy M.) from the Wizard of Oz.

Most people don't realize that the Wizard of Oz is a true story, fictionalized for the movie. The real Andy M. from the story was turned into a female for the movie and the name was modified to accommodate the gender change.

The real story is about a young girl who was lost in a tornado in the dust bowl in the 30s. She was missing for some time and the family was beginning to think they would never see her again.

Many months later she reappeared as a changed person. Upon investigation, the police found she had actually run off to California and was making her way selling illegal substances to the Hollywood set.

Several months into this new endeavor she got tired of the wicked life she was leading and headed home. She arrived at the farm late one night and walked into Andy M.'s room and tried to awaken him, by calling out, "Andy M., Andy M.", while pulling his leg...

...just like I'm pulling yours right now.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Pull the other one...it's got bells on...
Old 12-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Proud American

My name is Catina. It's a derivative of my mother's name, Ecatarina. I've always been called just Cat.

And a few other, less complimentary names from time to time, depending upon the offense.

With love,
~Cat
Old 12-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Senior Cook

It was Cat's idea, since I'm her Mamma. She helped me sign up here.

MammaCat
Old 12-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
My name is who I AM. But I've been many different people. When I was a model in the late '70s and '80s, I was known as K.T. Now, I'm known as "Sweetheart" by my husband and "Grandma" by my grandchildren. Other names include "Mom," "Honey," ....

Most of the time I answer to any and all.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
My name is who I AM. But I've been many different people. When I was a model in the late '70s and '80s, I was known as K.T. Now, I'm known as "Sweetheart" by my husband and "Grandma" by my grandchildren. Other names include "Mom," "Honey," ....

Most of the time I answer to any and all.
It's true, that's how she shows up on Caller ID...she's lucky I can read (and comprehend) fast!
Old 12-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #9
Executive Chef

My name is Carol and I live in PA. How original!
Old 12-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My name is Carol and I live in PA. How original!
I never would have guessed that!