"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Master Chef

How did you discover DC?

Since I wandered over here last summer I notice people from ALL over...not only the North American continent, but all over the world. I'm a relative newbie, but I've seen that some people have been here forever. A good sign of an active and caring forum. So...I've been wondering how you all stumbled upon this site.

For me, I get Randy Cassingham's weekly newsletter "This is True". He listed Discuss Cooking in his "bonzer website" segment one week, so I wandered over to DC and was lured in. After visiting in fits and starts I've finally settled on a visiting pattern that works for me. Um, like sometimes too often...

OK, now on to my icy concrete yuck. But I'll be checking back for comments later!

Old 01-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I was looking for a recipe. I'd given up on computer sites after a very bad time on another one. Anyway I signed on and asked a question, was treated so nicely, well here I am....STILL
kadesma

Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Master Chef

Same as kadesma. I was looking for a recipe and stumbled upon DC and have been hooked ever since. It's a wonderful forum.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

it has been so long i don't remember.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
Head Chef

gooogle, looking for food discussion forums.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

A lot of us, myself included, were regulars at the Food Network discussion site. They decided to close it down and we migrated here. A really good decision for me.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
Master Chef

I was looking for a hibachi.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
A lot of us, myself included, were regulars at the Food Network discussion site. They decided to close it down and we migrated here. A really good decision for me.
I am among this group as well.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I am among this group as well.

When the old Food Network Boards started to implode from the nastiness and vitriol, FN announced they were shutting it down. One of the regulars found this as a place to settle (I don't remember who, or I'd be happy to give them credit for the find). They PM'd and emailed many of the other regulars, and we all came over at the same time. Wisely, they were careful not to make the invitation public, to forestall the troublemakers from finding out right away.

Early on, they made some rules to prevent what happened at FN. Right from the start, they have made sure that this remained a friendly place to be. Sure, there have been a couple dust-ups, but overall, the administrators & mods here have kept the focus on cooking and the tone upbeat.

It has really grown and changed here over the years (for the better, of course). There are always a few young know-it-alls that show up, but they usually find that there's a lot of knowledge and experience here. There are occasional spammers, but they're shut down quickly, There are those who come here believing that cooking is a can of this and a box of that. Hopefully, they learn to enjoy what we all have. People learn that drama and attitude are not accepted here. For the most part, folks with attitudes get the cold shoulder.

I'm not a frequent poster. I come and go depending on my job. But whenever I come back this is a very welcoming crowd.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
Master Chef

DONE! with my side of the driveway, thought I'd check for replies while enjoying a nice nip of bourbon (thanks, Uncle Bob). It's my alcohol rub-down (from the inside). Thanks, all, for such quick posts and so many nice comments. Silversage, nasty posters on another board drove me to look for a group that can exchange ideas and information intelligently! FWIW, that was not a cooking forum, but I had enjoyed the topics discussed "over there" until so very many trolls showed up. Since I absolutely LOVE to cook this is a perfect fit! (If you saw me you could tell I also love to eat.)

Someone back in my old hometown area put up a thread about an organic garden supplying restaurateurs. If you want to read about The Chef's Garden you can find the website here. It's in Huron, OH. I suggested to him that he might be interest in DC; he PMed back to say he read the rules and isn't sure he can be "polite". But he is certainly NOT one of those who sent me hunting.

Thanks again. I've enjoyed reading your stories.